Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Would you trade Grady for Felix Hernandez?

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Would you trade Grady for Felix Hernandez?

Unread postby captain_wahoo » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:32 am

Just curious how many people wold make this swap? Imagine the rotation with CC, Felix, Lee, Sowers, and Miller.
captain_wahoo

Unread postby Guest » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:34 am

I wouldn't
Grady is the heart and soul of this team.

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:47 am

no friggin way

our rotation is solid 5 QS in 6 games

and Adam Miller hasnt made his MLB debut yet
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby Charboneau » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:34 am

No way - not ever. Grady is one of the critical pieces to the foundation to build upon and is becoming the face of the franchise.
Charboneau
Wedge Loyalist

Favorite Player: Jhonny Peralta
Least Favorite Player: Dustin Pedroia

Unread postby dpdad » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:02 am

No. I would not trade a star everyday player for a star pitcher who appears once every five games.
dpdad

Unread postby swerb » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:04 am

Considering you have not one other person in this lineup that can lead off or play CF ... no way you can even think about it.

Couple nights ago was the first time I really got to see Felix pitch an entire game. That kid is sick.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby consigliere » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:54 am

I'd seriously consider it. Damn, that is a great question. Felix is a true ace, and will be in Johan territory soon. Kid is unreal, and was the #1 prospects in baseball for a few years before making the Mariners roster. Young pitchers, though, tend to break down, so that would probably be the deciding factor for me.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby MadThinker88 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:59 am

A good question.

I would have to pass on a 1 for 1 deal, but if I got something more than just Felix, I would have to think it over.
MadThinker88
In Tressel We Trust

Unread postby Guest » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:56 am

I couldn't see trading an everyday superstar 5 tool player for a pitcher.

Unread postby consigliere » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:13 pm

FightDr wrote:I couldn't see trading an everyday superstar 5 tool player for a pitcher.

You wouldn't trade A-Rod for Johan?
consigliere

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:15 pm

Nope. If the Indians were bereft of pitching talent then I'd consider it, but our rotation is pretty good and we've got some very good prospects down ont he farm. We might not have an Ace of that kind of caliber, but it's close enough that I'm happy.

Grady is a rare talent who is so good at just about everything. Nearly half of his hits go for extra bases. He's a good fielder, good on the basepaths, etc. In and odd twist, he's actually hitting much better against lefties in the first week+ of the season, so that's encouraging.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby sandlot33 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:37 pm

never
HerrliBomb
sandlot33

Unread postby Guest » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:36 pm

I would NOT trade A-Rod for Johan

Unread postby consigliere » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:54 pm

FightDr wrote:I would NOT trade A-Rod for Johan

Wow. I'd take Johan in a heartbeat over A-Rod. No question. Yesterday, today and tomorrow.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.
consigliere

Unread postby Jumbo » Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:49 am

I don't know if this was prompted by the thread at USS Mariner, but the guy over there posted a hypothetical trade value top 40. Naturally, it's biased, by Felix is listed as #1...Grady comes in at #6 (behind Pujols, Miggy Cabrera, Reyes, and Mauer...but one slot ahead of Johan.)

Anyway, there's two different ways of looking at this question: first, would/should the Indians trade Sizemore for Felix, and the "If you were starting a team..." question. Those two questions lead to two different answers.

For the Indians, in their position, looking for a face of the franchise...you just couldn't make that trade. Too popular, too much risk, no replacement in centerfield, enough strength and depth in the rotation. Pitchers get hurt more often than position players (even considering the risk of running into walls).

On other hand, starting a team from scratch...I'd be hard pressed not to take Hernandez #1. The most ridiculous thing I've heard yet (out of a number of ridiculous things) is that he's faced 58 batters (I think that was the right number) and seven have successfully hit the ball out of the infield.

A ground-ball pitcher, who also happens to K 10 a game? Fantastic.

Now, you'd have to worry about the flameout risk...and perhaps that would be enough to swing me back to Sizemore, who I think is as likely as anyone to have a 20+ year career. On the other hand, to take an example, Felix's current #1 age-comp is Catfish Hunter...who had an excellent, Hall of Fame career, but who began declining at age 30 and was done by 33. (Granted, that was after two 300+ IP seasons...) [/url]
Jumbo
Chowderhead

Favorite Player: is not Buster Posey
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby drewd » Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:21 pm

lol no i wouldn't trade Grady

but i would trade victor
drewd
Unrealistic Trade Guy

Unread postby leadpipe » Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:47 pm

When you're dealing with young superstars, it's all perspective. 99% of Cleveland fans wouldn't trade Sizemore, and 99% of Seattle fans aren't parting with Felix.

The ideal thing would to have Grady for the regular season and Felix as you 3 time in a seven game series horse in the post season.

Each one of these things is very hypothetical.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby He Gone » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:56 pm

When I first read the question, I seriously considered it, but after thinking aboutit the answer is no.

First concern would be that We already have an ACE in CC, and our starting rotation is VERY solid.
Second concern would be that Sizemore plays every day, Felix only plays once every 5
He Gone
O-H-I-O

Unread postby tribefan333 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:09 pm

For what Grady brings to this team (CF, lead-off, hitting for average and power, fielding, energy, emotion, passion) this deal isn't even a consideration in my mind. Grady is just too valuable to this team.
tribefan333
Cleveland Rocks

Favorite Player: Grady/Fausto/Cabrera
Least Favorite Player: Joba Chamberlain

Unread postby lovsgrady » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:40 pm

I think just by my name here what my answer is. My question here. Are you freakin crazy :cry :cry: :evil: . No one has the heart of the game in baseball like Grady does. Am I the only one that Remembers Shapiro saying that he would take 9 Grady Sizemores. No one plays this game better. The way he goes out there everyday, he sale value with the fans, his leadership, and because I'm me I have to say this...that pretty face beneath those wonderful curls. No other player is worth all of that...no one. I just want to see Wedge and any one who would have anything to do with that trade and what would happen to them. It would not be pretty. I'd be one of those :twisted: people to make a big stink
Why so serious
lovsgrady
Future Mrs. Sizemore

Unread postby leadpipe » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:31 pm

I'll bet lovsfelix would have something to say about that.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby docstank » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:27 pm

Gee what a great idea, pick up another ground ball pitcher and worsen our already pathetic defense. Does not sound like a good overall move for the tribe, hypothetically of course. Ground ball pitchers need a good defense behind them...that would not work out for ctown.
docstank

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:29 pm

Since Hernandez just Mattmillered, I'd say no.
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB