Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Asdrubal Cabrera

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Asdrubal Cabrera

Unread postby Sol Solis » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:56 pm

Now I know that this may be coming off as a pick of an overreaction considering all the holes this team currently has dotted all over the field (by both not having long term solutions and the long term solutions looking bad... *Cough*Michael Brantley), but as mentioned in Buff's B-list today, Asdrubal Cabrera isn't exactly lighting the world on fire with his hitting.

Sure, the popular commonsense is that he plays exceptional defense at short. I will agree that he makes some spectacular plays but often he makes mental mistakes on some of the easier ones and that leaves me a bit worried... especially because he isn't hitting.

In 2007 he was called up and was nothing short of a revelation, playing great defense at 2nd and hitting very well for a 21 year old. He struggled in '08 getting sent down once and had to find himself in the minors and then last year he was back to his '07 form... only better. Now this year (albeit in a lost year) he's hitting more like it's '08 than '09.

Again, this is nitpicking but I have now become worried that Asdrubal might not be the cornerstone guy that we thought he was. He's a nice piece surely, but considering this is now his 2nd full year out 3 and 1/2 that he hasn't hit very well... and you can begin to see the problems. This is compounded by the fact that Asdrubal didn't hit PERIOD until he was called up to the major, having hit a combined .248 in AA in '06, and was generally not thought of as more than your John McDonald type guy until '07.

With no viable SS options in the minors (I mean AT ALL), we could be looking at a position that was once thought to be manned by an all-star caliber player who is actually just some guy with a pretty good glove.
Sol Solis

Favorite Player: King Louie
Least Favorite Player: Sheed

Re: Asdrubal Cabrera

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:59 pm

It's not nit-picking. Cabrera is a decent major league player who tends to look better surrounded by the flotsam and jetsom of the other guys on this roster.

He's fine. He's capable. Maybe even good. But he's miscast as anything more than that IMO.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:04 pm

Before the A-Rod, Nomar, Jeter generation, most shortstops couldnt hit a lick. As Peeker said, so long as he's surrounded by a decent roster you dont notice his issues. Its when he's the 2nd best player on the team that his hitting becomes such a glaring problem.
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:36 pm

He's been dinged up this season and really hasn't been able to get into a groove. He's a wizard in the field and he should be a solid .285 hitter. He's beyond adequate. He's an ideal 2 hitter.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby 1Perry » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:43 pm

He hit .300 in April. For someone on the Indians that's like hitting .400 on another team.

Fundementals have been lacking all around. That he makes a few mental errors is also like making next to none on another team.

I don't know that anyone expected him to be a cornerstone but he's an All-Star where the Indians are concerned.
1Perry
The Shapiro of Posters

Unread postby fairvis » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:58 pm

Just for a reference, ACab's stats:
2007: 45 G, 186 PAs, .283/.354/.421
2008: 114 G, 418 PAs, .259/.346/.366
2009: 131 G, 581 PAs, .308/.361/.438
2010: 48 G, 214 PAs, .262/.303/.344

ACab's OPS this year among shortstops would place him 17th, but his BA would place him 9th. His K/BB ratio is much higher this year- 2.91 versus 2.02 last year. We'll see if he figures stuff out, but he'
s definitely a serviceable shortstop as far as batting goes- just this year he's average instead of good.

Put this into perspective: Last year's .799 OPS is the same as Hanley Ramirez's OPS this year, in which he has the second highest OPS among shortstops. In general, the shortstop OPS for the league is down significantly this year- last year, there were 14 shortstops with OPS > .700, and this year there are only 10, and one > .800 (last year there were 5).
fairvis

Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Unread postby drum » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:58 pm

The last thing i'm worried about on this team right now is Asdrubal Cabrera.
Proud owner of a talking Tom Hamilton bobblehead
drum

Favorite Player: Joe Posnanski
Least Favorite Player: Miami fans

Unread postby tecs » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:19 pm

Sol Solis wrote:Now I know that this may be coming off as a pick of an overreaction

Yes, you are overreacting. AC just coming off a broken fricken' arm. Give the guy a break. If he's batting .250 going into the end of the season after another 200ab's then that's some cause for concern.
tecs

Favorite Player: Josh Tomlin
Least Favorite Player: Brandon Phillips

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:27 pm

I agree with tecs. The guy's coming off a serious injury. The rest of the way is basically his way of getting back into the groove for next season.

Of all the positions I'm worried about, SS is not one of them.
Don't go away mad, just go away.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Sol Solis » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:16 pm

Keep in mind his OBP isn't serviceable. It's .303. That's terrible. Obviously he's coming off an injury so his performance is going to be a bit off. But he hasn't exactly been a model of consistency.

I also understand that there are bigger concerns for the Indians, hence the reason I mentioned that exact same thing. I only brought it up because Buff brought it up in his B-list, which I also mentioned. I think Asdrubal is certainly at least average, but he's not a cornerstone guy. Saying he's "good for the Indians" doesn't mean anything if the team wants to compete.
Sol Solis

Favorite Player: King Louie
Least Favorite Player: Sheed

Unread postby 1Perry » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:33 pm

If you are looking for 9 guys better than Ascab to compete, you might as well throw in the towel and find another team to root for.
1Perry
The Shapiro of Posters

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Tue May 24, 2011 12:09 am

Yeah he sucks.
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Unread postby bookelly » Tue May 24, 2011 2:33 am

As much as I respect the research involved in digging this up...can we just not go there right now? Let's enjoy the high before we kick each other in the nads dude.

That said. Droobs is a Demi-God.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Tue May 24, 2011 12:17 pm

Bringing up the post would make a bit more sense if the person who went back and found it wouldn't have been basically poo-pooing A-Cab as a player who needs a great team around him so that you can ignore his shortcomings. Certainly not the case right now.

CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! wrote:Before the A-Rod, Nomar, Jeter generation, most shortstops couldnt hit a lick. As Peeker said, so long as he's surrounded by a decent roster you dont notice his issues. Its when he's the 2nd best player on the team that his hitting becomes such a glaring problem.

BTW-I look like quite the wise man in my post. Props to me!
Don't go away mad, just go away.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue May 24, 2011 1:04 pm

skatingtripods wrote:He's been dinged up this season and really hasn't been able to get into a groove. He's a wizard in the field and he should be a solid .285 hitter. He's beyond adequate. He's an ideal 2 hitter.

Proud of my post in this thread.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby fairvis » Tue May 24, 2011 3:39 pm

skatingtripods wrote:Proud of my post in this thread.

Yeah, so am I. I did research on it. Must've been drunk.
fairvis

Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu May 26, 2011 12:25 am

Tim Kurkidgianinian wrote a nice little article on Asdrubal. Nothing groundbreaking or earth shattering here, but it's nice the dude is getting a little recognition for the phenomenal year he's put together so far.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=kurkjian_tim&id=6584412
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB