Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

I love it

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

I love it

Unread postby DarNoor » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:12 pm

The first night back, the Indians pick up where they left off. While, Seattle and Hargrove got their asses handed to them by Boston. Awesome night!
~D~
DarNoor

Unread postby swerb » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:20 pm

CC looked sharp, threw strikes. Oldberto and Borowski were both very shaky once again, which is very concerning to me ... even four games into the season.

3 HUGE RBI's on b2b doubles from Marte. Man, if this kid can hit .280 with 20 HRs and 80 RBIs, this lineup really has the potential to be very, very good.

And how cool is a caught stealing to end the game, up one in the bottom of the 9th? CANNON from Shoppach.

3-1 is a good start to the season.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby DarNoor » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:23 pm

Speaking of the bullpen, is it too early to be concerned? Because, i am. I know it's only four games. But, they don't look any different from last year. We'll see.
~D~
DarNoor

Unread postby swerb » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:36 pm

It's never too early to panic. Especially seeing as how horrific bullpens early have killed this team 2 of the last three years.

Oldberto and Wickowski have conjured up some early memories of Scott Stewart and Jose Jimenez.

Offense looks great. Starting pitching should be fine.

It will be the bullpen that determines if this team can win the division.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby leadpipe » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:51 pm

Swerb wrote:CC looked sharp, threw strikes. Oldberto and Borowski were both very shaky once again, which is very concerning to me ... even four games into the season.

3 HUGE RBI's on b2b doubles from Marte. Man, if this kid can hit .280 with 20 HRs and 80 RBIs, this lineup really has the potential to be very, very good.

And how cool is a caught stealing to end the game, up one in the bottom of the 9th? CANNON from Shoppach.

3-1 is a good start to the season.

I'd be real suprised if he hits 2 and a half. Right now he's Einar Diaz with a little more pop. The guy is coming aroung EVERYTHING and yanking it to left exclusively. If this doesn't change A. He's going to be overmatched by the better pitchers (which he is) and B. It won't take long for the league to figure this out (see Einar Diaz). All this talk about Blake, at the end of the day the Tribe's best line-up may have him at third. I hope I'm wrong on this, but I just see Marte struggling.

Also, the livest arm in the pen, and my choice to close, would be Betencourt. Problem his last two healthy years was he was the only one effective so Wedge would use the guy 25 nights in a row. Would be interssted in seeing his career stats her minus like, the third consecutive day, or the fifth day a week deals. With proper use and rest he's a nice player.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Jumbo » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:01 pm

The Indians are evil geniuses: the solution to their poor records in April was so simple - play less games in April! (Winning those that count helps, too...)

Very nice game. The offense is doing a very good job at being strong up and down the lineup. They've gotten production from all but one or two of their starters in each of their 3 wins.

CC was sufficiently effective.

As for the bullpen: this is not the way to go about improving your record in one-run games. Still, the ability to just get enough, while not comforting, might be enough to get the pen up to average...which could be enough. Even still, I'm more confident about the pen this year, as the reinforcements in AAA this year provide decent replacement options even if the imported vets should implode.

Lara, yesterday: 1.0 IP, zeroes across with a K. (17 pitches, 9 strikes.)
Mujica, today: 1.0 IP, zeros across. (12 pitches, 8 strikes.)
Jumbo
Chowderhead

Favorite Player: is not Buster Posey
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby consigliere » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:08 pm

Swerb wrote:And how cool is a caught stealing to end the game, up one in the bottom of the 9th? CANNON from Shoppach.

Dude, not only was that a seed he threw to 2nd....but that might be the quickest release I have ever seen. That was impressive as hell.

DarNoor wrote:Speaking of the bullpen, is it too early to be concerned? Because, i am. I know it's only four games. But, they don't look any different from last year. We'll see.

Bullpen has been shaky, yes....but the key difference so far from last year is they are bending but not breaking. This goes a LONG way toward instilling confidence in the staff.

Hard to get a read on this bullpen since they all were on ice for 5 days and haven't piched in awhile.

And, if I did not know any better, Borowski is none other than Wickman's beta unit while Wickman is out with Centari fighting the Kodan Armada (80s movie reference).
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby captain_wahoo » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:36 pm

The Last Starfighter...do I win a prize??
captain_wahoo

Unread postby consigliere » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:47 pm

captain_wahoo wrote:The Last Starfighter...do I win a prize??

Bingo.

We should have Rich do some sort of "useless trivia" game on the site.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB