Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

B-List 4/4

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

B-List 4/4

Unread postby consigliere » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:09 pm

Couple points...

And technically, Borowski threw a hitless ninth to earn his first save of the season. But there’s “hitless” and there’s “Gil-Mota-with-double-vision-wearing-oven-mitts.”

Okay, that was hysterical.

But to me, the telling stat is that Tom Mastny and Raffy Betancourt EACH only had one more strike than ball. When neither of these guys is on target, it’s a tough day to throw strikes.

A lot of it was the umpire. Hammy and Hegan kept harping how AWFUL he was all game for both teams. So many pitches that should have been strikes were called balls. The pitchers had to literally throw it into a tea cup. Thank God it was cold, as if it was mid-summer the final score might have been 18-17. Which begs the question, as the ump, wouldn't you EXPAND the strike zone to get the hell out of there? What sort of idiot wants to hang around and play baseball in 30 degree and snowy weather? Was that Lt. Frank Drebin behind the plate?

(He’s still considered “pretty good,” although I believe he actually scared Jason Michaels empty-bowelled when “congratulating” him for the game-ending catch.)

I finally caught the reply of the final play late last night. Who was more excited....the fans or Sizemore? Jesus. He acted like we won the World Series after that catch. BTW, I like that.

I don’t care if this is a rational response. I don’t care if this flushes my credibility as an analyst down the tubes. I don’t, I don’t, I don’t. I just want this man out of the 5 hole batting behind Travis Hafner and Victor Martinez. I must have this. I will not sleep until this is so.

Okay, actually I will, but I will continue to complain.

I'm with Buff on this. I don't mind Casey Blake in the lineup hitting 8th/9th....but for God sakes, not 5th. Shapiro said he wants to let the early part of the season play out before he identifies what we need.....and folks, it may in fact end up being a RHed power bat to slide into the 4/5 hole. I know there were many on here hoping we would get that this offseason. We did try with Alou, but it looks like at some point we need one (or Garko hopefully is the answer). I don't think this has a huge affect on how many wins we have, but long-run it WILL affect the pitches Hafner and Victor get. I mean, Hafner was walked four times yesterday.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby pup » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:19 pm

and folks, it may in fact end up being a RHed power bat to slide into the 4/5 hole. I know there were many on here hoping we would get that this offseason.

:eek :shock:

I don't think this has a huge affect on how many wins we have, but long-run it WILL affect the pitches Hafner and Victor get. I mean, Hafner was walked four times yesterday.

It will most certainly mean wins versus losses for this team. I remember thinking they should intentionally walk Hafner and Victor in the 9th to get to Blake. I guess they didn't intentionally walk Victor, but close enough. Who puts an insurance run on 3rd base in the top of the 9th? Anyone playing the Indians as long as Casey Blake is in the 5 hole.

To count on Garko to be the protection for these 2 is bit over zealous for my taste. He would be an improvment over the Rally Killer, but that is a lot to put on his shoulders.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:41 pm

Blake is an acceptable player, but Buff and Tony are dead on. The guy has no business sitting in the #5 slot. He has been consistently terrible with RISP. I think Peralta or Barfield would be more effective in the 5-hole with Garko possibly being able to fill that slot with time. Jhonny has definitely come out of the gates looking good on offense and defense. If he gets anywhere near his 2005 offensive numbers then then he is a legit threat behind Martinez and Hafner.

I'd probably rather see the Dellucci/Michaels combo batting fifth before seeing Blake there.

My top choice would be to find someone else the hit third, pushing Hafner back to cleanup and having Martinez sitting at #5 and someone other than Blake at #6. I do hope we get to see some Garko soon at 1B. Two games isn't much, but the infield defense looks better. I don't think Garko would screw it up and his bat could be a big improvement over Blake's, especially with RISP.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby swerb » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:43 pm

Let's just hope and pray that Wedge is a little more light on his feet this year. Sticking with JMike in the 2 hole, and Honny up at the top of the lineup WAY, WAY, WAY too long last year was a legitimate factor in the teams poor start.

It's not too early to get Casey outta the 5 hole. Lefty Buehrle on the mound today, Garko should be playing 1B and hitting 5th.

Garko, hopefully Honny ... are our only legitimate hopes, presently on the roster, for an answer to the 5 hole woes.

Ultimately, Grady is a 3 hole guy, so you can move Pronk to cleanup and Vic to 5th, where he's ultimately better suited IMO.

Hopefully Barfield is ready to lead off next season. He get on base enough?
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby pup » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:48 pm

Probably not. Suited well for the 2 slot though once Crowe is ready to lead off.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby swerb » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:49 pm

Pup wrote:

Probably not. Suited well for the 2 slot though once Crowe is ready to lead off.

Forgot about that dude.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:10 pm

Swerb wrote:
Pup wrote:... once Crowe is ready to lead off.

Forgot about that dude.

I'm going to go on record as saying "I don't see 'It' " when it comes to Crowe. Not popular and I hope I'm wrong, but I get too much of a Marginal Player vibe from Crowe.
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Unread postby consigliere » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:56 pm

Crowe will be a nice leadoff guy. Not an elite player or anything, but I think we'll take a guy hitting leadoff who switch hits, has a .370-.380 OBP, and steals 30-40 bases a year. That's all I care about. I agree that the reports where scouts feel he'll develop more power are overzealous, but I just want Crowe to continue to work counts, draw walks and hit consistently. THat way, you put him at the top and slide Sizemore down.

Possible by mid-2008, you could see a lineup like this:

1. Crowe (SH)
2. Barfield (RH)
3. Sizemore (LH)
4. Hafner (LH)
5. Martinez (SH)
6. Garko (RH)
7. Delluci (LH)
8. Peralta (RH)
9. Marte (RH)
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby paulcousineau » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:02 am

I happen to agree with Buff on Crowe. He's a decent-enough looking player, but he gets an awful lot of hype for a player that really hasn't done that much in a young career.

Hope I'm wrong.

That being said, that mid-2008 lineup makes me salivate. Throw in a PTBNL at 1B and maybe LF and I'll be dancing in the streets.

Remember that C.C. will still be in a Tribe uni, regardless of contract talks, until the end of 2008.

This team is built for a nice run of contention.
paulcousineau
Celebrity

Unread postby swerb » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:16 am

Have to throw this little teaser on today's B-List out there ...

Buff says Sowers was "nibbling like a rabbit on ecstasy".

That's up there with Shapetto.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:58 am

Swerb wrote:Have to throw this little teaser on today's B-List out there ...

That's up there with Shapetto.

He was and the ump wasn't biting. The strikezone was tight throughout the game with no slack given out to anybody. It was excruciating to watch all those pitches; I thought I was watching a left-handed version of Charles Nagy.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:58 am

Mr. MacPhisto wrote:
Swerb wrote:Have to throw this little teaser on today's B-List out there ...

It was excruciating to watch all those pitches; I thought I was watching a left-handed version of Charles Nagy.

Great minds think alike!

(And so do ours.)
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB