Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Carlos Rivero.....a playa to watch

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Carlos Rivero.....a playa to watch

Unread postby consigliere » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:59 am

I had my eye on this kid the last day I was at camp. Incredible size for an 18-year-old. Plus, he does it all. Saw him hitting the crap out of the ball and picking it too.

Miguel Cabrera is a nice comp this early on in his development.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/online/p ... 63635.html

Scout's View: Carlos Rivero

By Chris Kline
April 3, 2007

LAKELAND, Fla.--Several clubs passed on Venezuelan shortstop Carlos Rivero as a 16-year-old in 2005 when the Indians finally nabbed him for $100,000--a bargain-basement price if his performance matches his tools.

Now 18 (he turns 19 in May), Rivero will begin his first full season at low Class A Lake County. He split time in between the Rookie-level Gulf Coast and Appalachian League, hitting .260/.314/.350 in his first 200 at-bats since leaving his home country.

Rivero also split his time--at least in the Appy League--at third base, which is a position he seems destined for sooner or later. At 6-foot-3, 205 pounds, Rivero still shows good hands, range and a plus arm for the premium position.

We caught up with a National League scout to get the breakdown on the Indians toolsy middle infielder:

"He needs to be on everybody's radar. If he's not now, he will be soon.

He has every tool except (the) run (tool). He's not a plus runner--maybe a little bit below average, but power, bat ability, glove, hands, strength . . . hopefully he can stay at short, but if he can't . . . when I look at this kid, there is no way I could say, 'Nah, he could never be Miguel Cabrera.' I couldn't say that.

"All of the sudden, balls are jumping off his bat (in spring training). His frame--he's a teenager with that body. And he's performing now. He's shown power to all fields--easy power. Great swing, needs work on breaking ball recognition.

"He should be--if he's disciplined enough and he's professional in the way he goes about it--he should be on everybody's radar as soon as everybody in the South Atlantic League gets a look at him. If he doesn't have that discipline, then he's one of those forgotten guys. But the tools and the athleticism; the power . . . they're more than there.

"This kid--I watched him take ground balls two days ago and the range, athleticism and arm strength are all in place. It's a matter of how he maintains his body. I don't think he's a shortstop two years from now--I think he's a third baseman . . . I don't want to say Cabrera because I know how that sounds. Let's just say there's a whole bunch of upside if he can command the strike zone and if he keeps working at it--everything else is already there. But I couldn't say he couldn't be Miguel Cabrera. I just couldn't.”
Last edited by consigliere on Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:10 am

sounds like a star in the making

I like Jordan brown too he looks exciting

great K/BB ratio for someone in A ball too
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby paulcousineau » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:13 am

That Cabrera comp got me too excited.

Cabrera is a singular talent who made a HUGE leap from A+ to AA to the MLB at the ripe old ages of 19 and 20.
http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/C/Miguel-Cabrera.shtml

If this Rivero continues on a more normal path, I'll be OK.

If Marte and Peralta make strides this year towards establishing themselves as consistent MLB players, does this kid take some stabs at 1B?
paulcousineau
Celebrity

Unread postby consigliere » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:49 pm

The DiaTriber wrote:If Marte and Peralta make strides this year towards establishing themselves as consistent MLB players, does this kid take some stabs at 1B?

Nah, leave him on the left side of the infield for now. LOTS can go right/wrong at this point.....we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

THat said, Rivero is one of the main guys I will be watching in LC this year. Don't expect eye-popping numbers either, it is not just the stats.
consigliere

Unread postby paulcousineau » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:04 am

I've never been to an LC game. Is it nice?

It would be a blast to get an outing over there too, as a lot of the posters' "locations" seem to be awfully close to Eastlake.
paulcousineau
Celebrity

Unread postby consigliere » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:07 pm

You know, I may have to get with Rich on this. I have access to a suite from time to time. I'll see what I can do, and maybe we setup an outing at a Captains game.
consigliere

Unread postby paulcousineau » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:42 pm

Very nice.

I've heard rave reviews on the stadium and the experience and would love to see the youngsters.

It's on 91, right?
Indians Fever...Be a Believer!
paulcousineau
Celebrity

Unread postby consigliere » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:58 pm

Yep, 91. I'm working on getting something together in June. Our builder usually gives us his suite to games 2-3 times a year....will see it I can get it again.
consigliere

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB