Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Why not skip Byrd??

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Why not skip Byrd??

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:06 am

with the off day yesterday CC is gonna pitch on Saturday skipping Carmonas start

I for one was really looking forward to seeing him pitch as I believe he really has the stuff to be an asset in the rotation.
whereas Paul Byrd although i expect a better year from him is likely gone after the year (unless we're desperate enough to exercise his option) and we know what to expect

with lee out this was Carmonas chance to impress over 2 or 3 starting appearances but now he'll be fortunate to get 2 starts before Cliftons return.
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby consigliere » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:10 am

They casn't skip Byrd's Friday start. THat would mean CC would pitch on 3 days rest. They pushed back Carmona's start from Saturday to Sunday, and are pitching CC on Saturday on normal 4 days rest becayse of yesterday's offday.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby pup » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:15 am

I am pretty sure they knew of yesterday's off day and could have aligned the rotation for Carmona to make that start during the final days of spring training. Just flip Carmona and Byrd in the rotation. Even Wedge could figure this out without too much thought.

I actually would prefer Byrd take this start. Let Carmona hang out and soak in a hot start by the veterans, and see that all he has to do is go out and pitch. Don't press. Don't get too jacked up.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby consigliere » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:21 am

Oh, and Carmona is not being "skipped". His start is only moved back one day so CC pitches on normal 4 days rest Saturday (Carmona goes Sun instead of Sat). Carmona should still get his 2-4 starts to show himself before Lee likely returns.

Carmona pitched well in the exhibition games in Eastlake last night between Lake County and Akron. Facing the loaded Akron lineup, he went 7 innings allowing only 1 run on 1 hit (solo HR). Not the same as major leaguers, but good to get his work in. That said, that is a pretty impressive lineup in Akron this year (you'll see in my preview today....heh).
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB