Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Goleski returned to the Indians

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Unread postby consigliere » Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:41 pm

Some good news, although GOleski seems to be taking it hard and is not excited to be back:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 545D92.DTL

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

The Oakland Athletics sent outfielder Ryan Goleski back to the Cleveland Indians on Wednesday.

"It's real disappointing because I liked being here," said Goleski, who had been acquired in December. "I'm wondering why Cleveland wants me back. I don't know where I fit in there."

A's assistant GM David Forst said the A's tried to work out a deal with the Indians to keep Goleski but couldn't close the trade.

"We knew from the start they wanted him back," Forst said. "I would have loved to find a spot for him. He's got the potential for a good major league career ahead of him."

Goleski, who turned 25 last week, said he would remain in the Phoenix area until he could contact the Indians and ascertain his future with them.

"I'm not looking forward to jumping on a plane and getting there in a hurry," Goleski said. "This one I don't see where they're benefiting with me coming back. I thought I earned my way out."

Goleski, who underwent wrist surgery in November, was originally taken by the Tampa Bay Devil Rays in December's winter-meeting draft, then was sent to Oakland.

Left-hander Jay Marshall, another winter-meeting draft pick, appears likely to make the A's roster.

"This whole thing doesn't make sense to me," said Goleski, who hit .152 in 21 games during spring training. "I had the opportunity to go from Double-A to the major leagues. Anyone would desire that. I'm disappointed in going back."

I understand Goleski's disappointment, but I think what he is missing is if he was retained by Oakland he would be sent to their Double-A or Triple-A affiliate as well.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby MadThinker88 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:46 pm

:mrgreen:
Personally, I like the fact that Ryan is back on a couple of fronts.

If he finishes off his development fast enough he & Choo could be next seasons RF platoon in Cleveland.

My guess is Ryan will need all of 2007 in the minors to work his way back from the wrist injury and to take the final steps to be ready for the bigs.
MadThinker88
In Tressel We Trust

Unread postby consigliere » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:37 pm

I'm glad to see Goleski back. Also, Jim Ed Warden was also returned to the Indians today. So, the two players they lost in the Rule 5 have been returned.

Curious to see where Goleski goes.....it is possible with Gutierrez on the DL he goes to Buffalo....although he could start in Akron with Jordan Brown moving to a more full-time 1B role. Warden likely goes to Akron as I see no room for him in Buffalo....although, it is possible we could see a couple more cuts now. I'm sure the Indians had these two pencilled in somewhere as they expected them to be returned.
consigliere

Unread postby pup » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:58 am

What an idiot. I had the chance to go from AA to the Majors and now I don't. Well Ryan don't hit .150 in Spring and you wouldn't be sent back. Idiot.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby consigliere » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:20 am

Yeah, Goleski is whining worse than my 3-year old, which is a tough task for anyone to accomplish. Although, I guess I would be whining too after I saw a guaranteed $380K major league salary go out the window and have to settle for $60K at Buffalo.
consigliere

Unread postby MadThinker88 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:25 pm

Or at Akron
MadThinker88
In Tressel We Trust

Unread postby consigliere » Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:59 pm

Yeah, possible he starts at Akron.....although with Gutierrez DLed, he looks to be the one to replace Frankie.
consigliere

Unread postby MadThinker88 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:43 pm

I look at it this way:

Since he wasn't at Akron for all of last season, I figure he starts of there unless someone from the Cleveland or Buffalo outfield mix is traded away.

Its probably easier to use Choo, Ben G and Snyder on a regular basis in Buffalo with either Van Every or Cooper occasionally rotating in then moving someone up from Akron for only a coulpe of weeks.

But thats me and I'm only a fan on the outside looking in.
MadThinker88
In Tressel We Trust

Unread postby consigliere » Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:56 pm

Yep. Looks like Goleski-Crowe-Barton in Akron to start, and Fancisco-Choo-Snyder in Buffalo to start. Those are two nice outfields.

Buffalo was supposed to have a 4-man outfield rotation with Gutierrez in the mix....but he is going on the DL for awhile....so it remains to be seen if they still go with a 4-man rotation. If they do, I believe Goleski could be the one moved up since of the starting three in Akron he was there in Akron the longest last year (and arguably had the best season of anyone in the org not named Kouzmanoff).
consigliere

Unread postby pup » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:20 pm

Looks like Goleski-Crowe-Barton in Akron to start, and Fancisco-Choo-Snyder in Buffalo to start. Those are two nice outfields.

Both are probably better than Michaels/Delucci, Grady and Nixon/Blake.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:48 pm

Pup wrote:
Looks like Goleski-Crowe-Barton in Akron to start, and Fancisco-Choo-Snyder in Buffalo to start. Those are two nice outfields.

Both are probably better than Michaels/Delucci, Grady and Nixon/Blake.

Um ... no.
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Unread postby pup » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:12 pm

Um ... no.

Only because of the inclusion of Grady. But I would take most any combination of what is down there over the Fearsome Foursome of Delucci, Michaels, Nixon and Blake.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby consigliere » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:01 am

Warden takes a different approach rather than whining like Goleski. Refreshing.

http://www.kinston.com/onset?id=37360&t ... ticle.html

"Yesterday was tough when they told me they were sending me back," he said Thursday, about two hours after he arrived at Indians camp. "I mean, it's going to be tough on anyone. But this morning I woke up and I just kind of decided that it would be a little more fitting to make it to the big leagues as an Indian than as a Phillie."

In a six-year minor league career in Cleveland's system, the 6-foot-7-inch Warden is 23-26 with a 4.07 ERA. But those numbers are misleading; Warden changed from a high three-quarters delivery to a sidearm motion during the 2005 season, giving his pitches new life and movement.

Last season with Double-A Akron, he went 5-2 with a 2.90 ERA with 11 saves in 55 appearances, prompting the Phillies to select him in the second round in December. A former mop-up guy who thought his career was over before he dropped down, Warden found himself in the unlikely position of a ranked prospect.

Now, back with the organization that drafted him in the sixth round out of Tennessee Tech in 2001, the new, confident Warden said he is unfazed by the setback. He will likely begin the season working out of the bullpen for Triple-A Buffalo, which would be the highest level he's reached.

"I take this as a challenge," he said. "I'm excited to go to Buffalo and pitch, and then hopefully by the end of the year be in Cleveland because I think I'm a big league pitcher. If I'm not ready right now, I'm very, very close.

"My goal going in was just to make it a hard decision on (the Phillies), and I think I did that by staying around until the very end."

With Philadelphia this spring, Warden went 0-1 with a 5.68 ERA, rebounding from a slow start. He said he enjoyed playing with guys like Jimmy Rollins and reigning National League MVP Ryan Howard. Particularly, he said, he took advantage of the fact that 20-year major league veteran Jamie Moyer lockered next to him and offered him an experienced brain to pick.

Most importantly, he said, he learned how to act if he makes it back.

"It's a little different when you know somebody's looking at you in the uniform you're wearing and they're like, 'That's a big league baseball player,' " Warden, a Murfreesboro, Tenn., native, said. "You kind of carry yourself a little bit different."

As he made his way through Indians camp in street clothes Thursday morning and reacquainted himself with old friends, Warden actually comforted his once and future teammates instead of the other way around.

"I think it was more awkward for other people seeing me," he said, "trying to say that they were happy to see me without rubbing it in that I'm back."
consigliere

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB