Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

SI picks Indians to win division, ranked 7th in baseball

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

SI picks Indians to win division, ranked 7th in baseball

Unread postby consigliere » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:23 pm

Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby pup » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:36 pm

236 Run differential for the Indians over the past two seasons, the second highest in the majors (behind the Yankees' +260). Nine teams -- the Yankees, Indians, Cardinals, Mets, White Sox, Athletics, Angels, Twins and Braves -- had run differentials of +135 or better during that period. Of those franchises only Cleveland failed to make the postseason in either year.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby pup » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:37 pm

To support Travis Hafner and Victor Martinez in the middle of the order, the Tribe imported lefty-swinging outfielders David Dellucci and Trot Nixon for a total commitment of more than $14 million. For just a shade above the minimum salary, though, Cleveland already has Shin-Soo Choo, whom they acquired from the Mariners last July and used in an every-day role for the rest of the season. The 24-year-old Choo plays a solid corner outfield, runs well (at least 20 steals in each of his last three minor league seasons) and hammers righthanded pitching (.281 batting average, .361 OBP, .475 slugging in the majors last year). He's a player with an upside, a trait that neither Dellucci, 33, nor Nixon, 32, shares. Choo needs to be platooned, but so do the two older players. There's no reason, other than a misplaced affection for service time, to prefer the two free agents to Choo.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby consigliere » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:43 pm

Pup wrote:
To support Travis Hafner and Victor Martinez in the middle of the order, the Tribe imported lefty-swinging outfielders David Dellucci and Trot Nixon for a total commitment of more than $14 million. For just a shade above the minimum salary, though, Cleveland already has Shin-Soo Choo, whom they acquired from the Mariners last July and used in an every-day role for the rest of the season. The 24-year-old Choo plays a solid corner outfield, runs well (at least 20 steals in each of his last three minor league seasons) and hammers righthanded pitching (.281 batting average, .361 OBP, .475 slugging in the majors last year). He's a player with an upside, a trait that neither Dellucci, 33, nor Nixon, 32, shares. Choo needs to be platooned, but so do the two older players. There's no reason, other than a misplaced affection for service time, to prefer the two free agents to Choo.

Yeah, I am with the writer on this.

Dellucci makes sense.....but Nixon doesn't. Should have Choo and B-Fran as the 3rd and 4th outfielders and not Nixon and Michaels.
consigliere

Unread postby bookelly » Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:25 pm

If Nixon plays more than 75 games this year, I'll eat my shoe. Choo should get a bunch of starts this year.

If they reach the post-season and he's healthy, Nixon will earn his check and the fans with his play.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:47 pm

Nixon is just another attempt to capture a genie in a bottle. I can't say that I've been thrilled with the acquisition, but I also can't say that I think Choo is any more than a 4th OF. Although a 4th OF is usually what platoon guys out there are, so he could work. The biggest concern is power. He did show it last year in the minors versus righties though the homers dried up in the Bigs.

I'd rather see the younger guy unless Nixon is healthy and can return to his form of a few years ago.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby DGeneral » Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:24 am

SI predicting anything good about a Cleveland team is the kiss of death. Now the Indians will not make the playoffs for sure.
DGeneral

Unread postby consigliere » Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:29 am

DGeneral wrote:SI predicting anything good about a Cleveland team is the kiss of death. Now the Indians will not make the playoffs for sure.

Well, they didn't pick them to win the WS, and I don't believe they are on the cover, which is key. The jinx mostly applies there.
consigliere

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB