Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

LaRussa Arrested For DUI

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

LaRussa Arrested For DUI

Unread postby swerb » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:15 am

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2807935

JUPITER, Fla. -- St. Louis Cardinals manager Tony La Russa was arrested early Thursday and charged with misdemeanor DUI after he was found asleep at the wheel in his running SUV at a green light.

Tony La Russa was hit with a DUI charge 10 days before his Cardinals begin defense of their World Series title.

La Russa's SUV was stopped at a light that, according to police, went through two cycles of green. A driver behind La Russa had to go around his vehicle, police said.

Police found La Russa slumped over in the driver's seat of the running SUV. The manager of the world champion Cardinals had his foot on the brake and did not respond to knocks on the window, police said. He finally woke up and parked the car.

Police said they noticed the smell of alcohol on his breath, and a field sobriety test was conducted.

The 62-year-old La Russa was sent to the Palm Beach County Jail around 4 a.m., according to the jail's Web site. La Russa provided breath samples, which measured at a .093 blood alcohol level, police said. The legal limit for drivers in Florida is 0.08.

Police didn't immediately return a phone message from The Associated Press seeking comment.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Birdman » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:29 am

He passed out at the wheel with a .093 bac? Pretty surprising.
Birdman
bullseyetcnaz.com

Unread postby consigliere » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:47 am

Falling asleep at the wheel at a red light....freaking hilarious.

Amazing how many people drive him wasted and get away with it....russian roulette with your life and others.....and I used to do it so many times where I would wake up and wonder how the hell I got home. I was lucky where I never got caught, although one time almost got busted when I was found passed out with the car running in the parking lot out at the Fox and the Hound in Mayfield at 3am. Cop gave me a huge break that night as he technically could have given me a DUI as when he woke me I had to walk the line and all that and couldn't.

Looking back on all that, it scares the shit outta me when my kids grow up.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby Guest » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:49 pm

I know someone that got busted this same way.
Most of us have done stupid crap like this one time or another when we were younger.
I like to think I have grown up since then and most of us on here have also.
I just wonder if he just gets a fine???

Unread postby consigliere » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:28 pm

Amazing how once you settle down and have a family, how much more *responsible* and less reckless you become. :-) :smile: :)

And in regard to LaRussa, he'll get a slap on the wrist of course.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby DGeneral » Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:05 am

Consigliere wrote:And in regard to LaRussa, he'll get a slap on the wrist of course.

Judges are pressured to come down hard on DUI's these days. In LaRussa's case, he had a low blow, there was no accidents,injury or property damage. A good lawyer will get him off with minimal punishment. Will be embarrassing and LaRussa will have to spend some time doing some community service and going to Madd meetings.

He probably had 2-3 beers after a long day and drove home tired. It doesn't take much alcohol to put one over .08
DGeneral

Unread postby sandlot33 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:19 am

Larussa needs a haircut
HerrliBomb
sandlot33

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:38 pm

What's amazing is the BS statements these athletes and celebs read to the public, as if they think they are convincing us of their sincere "change of heart"

They aren't kidding anybody.

Tony will be drinking and driving again by Wednesday.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby leadpipe » Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:22 pm

DGeneral wrote:
Consigliere wrote:And in regard to LaRussa, he'll get a slap on the wrist of course.

Judges are pressured to come down hard on DUI's these days. In LaRussa's case, he had a low blow, there was no accidents,injury or property damage. A good lawyer will get him off with minimal punishment. Will be embarrassing and LaRussa will have to spend some time doing some community service and going to Madd meetings.

He probably had 2-3 beers after a long day and drove home tired. It doesn't take much alcohol to put one over .08

The degrees of pressure can be turned down by those with seven figure salaries. One thing hasn't changed, if you can grease the palms, you have license to do just about anything you want.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:21 pm

Sorry but the average person has no sympathy for somebody who has a 7 figure salary and cannot find a better alternative besides driving after drinking, regardless of the number of drinks.

I have always like LaRussa but this incident makes him look like a complete jackass.

Salary: Million +

Cab ride: $100 tops

Ability to use your celeb status to get out of it only to go out drinking and get behind the wheel again a week later: priceless.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB