Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Grady Little

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Grady Little

Unread postby jfiling » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:48 pm

Little was just extended as the Dodger's manager. In the story, I see that he has the best winning percentage of current MLB managers. Anyone know why he got no real consideration for the Indian's spot that was given to Wedge?

Also, would you rather have Little instead of Wedge? I know I would.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby pup » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:23 pm

Grady Little was crucified for making one bad decision, yet Eric Wedge gets extensions for making hundreds. It is one of the biggest travesties in managing and I am glad he has finally gotten a 2nd chance.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:39 pm

I agree, Pup. And Grady was in the ultimate lose-lose situation in Game 7. If he leaves a tired Pedro in the ballgame, well... we all saw what happened. But let's say he pulls Pedro, puts, say, Scott Williamson in the game, and he blows the lead. You know how Red Sox fans are- 50 years from now they'd still be bitching about how they didn't have a sausage from 2003 because Dumbass Little yanked da best pitchah in franchoyse histuhry and put in Scawt Freakin' Williamson.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby pup » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:09 pm

I don't have the resources or energy to research it, but I believe the Red Sox bullpen was very similar to the Indians of 2006 that year. There were 5 or so games Pedro left with a lead and they blew it, so he went with his ace and got burned. So be it. Then Francona, who is about as pointless of a manager as Wedge reaps all the benefits of the groundwork Little laid.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby jfiling » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:29 pm

Pup,

I went to Retrosheet for that game, and it looks like Little had the choice between putting Alan Embree in a bit earlier or sticking with the ace and letting the chips fall where they may. I'd wager that Little never would have been crucified in Cleveland like he was in Boston for that decision.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby swerb » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:08 pm

My recollection of that games a little different. I remember being horrified Grady left Pedro in there, and it being pretty apparent that Pedro was toast.

That season, Pedro had a history of falling apart late in games, things unraveling on his as soon as he started to lose that bite on his #1 and his changeup.

That said, I've always liked Grady, and despite the fact they won it all the next year, they prolly never shoulda run him in Beantown. Id be interested ot hear Jumbo or Beanpot's take on this.

Dodgers are my pick to win it all this season.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby consigliere » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:49 pm

I'm not a big Grady Little fan. At all.

This is not an endorsement of Wedge, but Wedge made much more sense as the manager of this team when the rebuild started in 2003 than having someone like Charlie Manuel or Grady Little coach this team.

As for the present, I'm open to suggestions for replacing Wedge.....although have a hunch it is all moot discussion as the Indians will win 90 or so games this year, and he'll get an extension playoffs or not. Not saying I disagree or agree if that happens, but unless they flat out hit tank this year, I don't see him going anywhere.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby swerb » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:55 pm

My fear is that the Indians will be just good enough to get Wedge an extension this year. That Wedge will comandeer a 100 win team to a 90-72 record, and finish 3-4 games out of the playoffs. And the Indians give him three more years.

Two words: Joe Fucking Girardi
Last edited by swerb on Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby consigliere » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:01 pm

Swerb wrote:My fear is that the Indians will be just good enough to get Wedge an extension this year. That Wedge will comandeer a 100 win team to a 90-72 record, and finish 3-4 games out of the playoffs.

Two words: Joe Fucking Girardi

Yes, my fears as well.

Sort of ties into my fears with RAC as well. That if the Browns win 6-7 games, he sticks around another season.

So, I'll root like hell for the browns and Indians to start the season....but once it starts to go down the shitter I'll root for an all out implosion so there is no doubt on firing RAC or Wedge.

Although, if Wedge is fired, his replacement is coming from within. Book it. And I am not saying Showalter.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby pup » Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:30 am

Torey Lovullo.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan