Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

A Long Year For The Nationals

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

A Long Year For The Nationals

Unread postby swerb » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:07 pm

Man, was doing a little homework on the Nats last night. Looking like a real rough year for them.

As many of you know ... my wife's uncle has a little piece of the team. It's been fun bringing myself up to speed with the team and their prospects, and also following another team besides the Indians. To be clear though, they are a distant #2.

Team got a bad break with Nick Johnson's injury, which will sideline him till at least June. Soriano, Zimmerman, Johnson, Lopez, and Kearns led what was a pretty good offense last year. They had no pitching outside of their closer Cordero though. #1 starter John Patterson missed almost the entire season. He's back, but they have nothing behind him in the rotation.

Really, this is a throw away season for them. New park next year in DC, which is going to be amazing. A good core of Schneider at catcher, Nick Johnson, Felipe Lopez, Zimmerman, Kearns, Cordero, and Patterson. And most of the teams top prospects are playing really well in camp. They've brought in some servicable vets like Dimitri Young, Fat Ronnie, Chris Snelling to help bridge the gap.

Man, I was pissed they passed on Girardi as skipper. Anyone know anything about Manny Acta? Or where their farm system ranks league wide?
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby consigliere » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:29 pm

I'll tell you what....keep an eye on Chad Cordero. With the Nationals going nowhere, a lot of teams will come calling for him before the trade deadline and one of them might very well be the Indians. To me, Cordero is exactly what we need for now and the next several years at closer. And, we have the minor league talent they will want in exchange.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby swerb » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:48 pm

Consigliere wrote:I'll tell you what....keep an eye on Chad Cordero. With the Nationals going nowhere, a lot of teams will come calling for him before the trade deadline and one of them might very well be the Indians. To me, Cordero is exactly what we need for now and the next several years at closer. And, we have the minor league talent they will want in exchange.

Cordero is excellent, and a really cool dude I got a chance to meet last year.

I just traded Alex Gordon and Delmon Young to sandlot33 for Hafner and Cordero in that dynasty fantasy baseball league we talk smak about in the Fantasy Forum.

Now if they could just get leads to him ...
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby pup » Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:22 pm

I'll tell you what....keep an eye on Chad Cordero. With the Nationals going nowhere, a lot of teams will come calling for him before the trade deadline and one of them might very well be the Indians

Not old enough for the AARP Bullpen.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby leadpipe » Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:03 pm

Pup is correct, if they fish a reliever out of Washington it will probably be a Senator.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby sandlot33 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:10 pm

swerb

as much as i like cordero and hafner, you made me an offer i could not refuse

young and gordon are the 2 best prospects in baseball and are both legitimate 30-30 guys every year...hell maybe 40-40 guys...

plus i get the agreement that you will not take dice-k and i get him with the second pick
HerrliBomb
sandlot33

Unread postby swerb » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:17 pm

It was a legit trade. I give up two of the top prospects in all of baseball, which hurts.

After last years debacle, my fan base has pressured me into a "win now" modus operandi.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby sandlot33 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:21 pm

thats funny
HerrliBomb
sandlot33

Unread postby swerb » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:34 pm

My Nats expert on the inside doesn't sound too optimistic about the season ...

Hi Rich; good to hear from you!

The Nats spring roster appears to be full of "have been stud prospects" from other teams that dropped off their charts for one reason or another, mainly due to injuries. It seems that the team is going after these guys mainly because they really don't have anything to lose and may be able to score a "find" or two in the process at a bargain basement price.

So far, it seems that Shawn Hill is emerging as a possible #2 behind Patterson. He is a RHP who came up last year from I think AAA and pitched very well until he got hurt. However, “well” is a relative term since he only made 9 starts and only gone 7 innings twice. Yes, that is the state of affairs here in the Nation’s Capital; we are very excited about a guy with 9 career starts. L

Outside of that, we are getting Luis Ayala back (again from injury) and he should be able to get back his old set-up job for Chad Cordero.

On the offensive side is all about Ryan Zimmerman until Johnson gets back if he ever does get back. Dmitri Young is slotted to play 1st until Nick gets back. Hopefully the “good” Dmitri will show up!

I am curious to see how Cristian Guzman bounces back from being out of baseball all of last year. Manny Acta has given him his old job back at SS and moved Felipe Lopez to 2nd. It should be an interesting 1st month of the season to see if he gets back to his old Twins form or to his disastrous 1st season as a Nat. I am pulling for him.

The outfield will be anchored by Nook Logan at center field. He is fast, but can he get on base? I’m not hopeful considering our history with center fielders. We too have Ryan Church but he has not been the same since he got hurt running into a wall in Pittsburg the season before last. He spent most of last year in the minors and is also hoping to catch on.

Is there a theme here? This is basically a team with one proven guy (Zimm) who has experience a lot of success in his only full season on the majors. Everything else is a question mark including Patterson. But… I am still going to the games; it should be somewhat a fun season because if things pan out the right way, guys will want to be on this team especially with the new stadium and ownership. So yes, this is a set-up year for the ’08 season. The strategy going forward should be to give some guys a chance to prove themselves and see who makes the best of their opportunity; save some $ during the process to hopefully nab a big player or two (or three) to fill whatever holes will be there going into ’08. Let’s see if that’s what happens.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby pup » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:06 pm

Buster Olney said there is a pool going with the scouts in Florida about how many games the Nats would lose. You pay your entry and pick a number. The numbers started at 105 losses and went up to 130.

And people were begging to pull numbers in the high 120's.

Ouch.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby swerb » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:17 pm

Pup wrote:Buster Olney said there is a pool going with the scouts in Florida about how many games the Nats would lose. You pay your entry and pick a number. The numbers started at 105 losses and went up to 130.

And people were begging to pull numbers in the high 120's.

Ouch.

I've got $25 that says the Nats shock the world and don't finish with the worst record in baseball this year. We on?
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:01 pm

Check this out ... Nationals Park looks saaa-weeeet. Cherry blossoms in LF, nice touch.

http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/was ... 24x663.jpg
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby bookelly » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:05 am

If they leave country and pack-up for Canada again would they be called "Ex-Nats?"

/obscure?
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby swerb » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:00 pm

My god ... this is going to be a long season.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:03 pm

Swerb wrote:My god ... this is going to be a long season.

You know who would look good in the Nats' rotation? Jason Davis.

(Kinda serious here: it's a big ballpark, and their rotation really is horrific.)
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Unread postby swerb » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:06 pm

Steve Buffum wrote:
Swerb wrote:My god ... this is going to be a long season.

You know who would look good in the Nats' rotation? Jason Davis.

(Kinda serious here: it's a big ballpark, and their rotation really is horrific.)

And in all seriousness, they have some bullie guys I do really like.

Cordero, obviously.

But even aside from him ... Ryan Wagner and Jon Rauch specifically. Both have good enough stuff to potentially be late inning guys.

I'd be surprised if Shapiro isn't at least feelin' em out, and likely dangling JD and one of those guys from the loaded Beefalo lineup.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby consigliere » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:11 pm

I think the Nationals are a target for every team when it comes to trying to pick what good players they have left off their roster. And, I think for a good package of prospects, Cordero can be had.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby swerb » Sun May 27, 2007 10:02 am

Winners of 5 of their last 7. Cordero back with Rauch and Colome as solid 7th and 8th inning guys. Pichers like Bergmann, Shawn Hill, and former Indians Traber and Bacsik coming out of the woodwork. Zimmerman, Kearns, Church starting to heat up. Nick the Stick getting closer to returning every day.

Wild card run? :roll :roll:

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Sun May 27, 2007 12:06 pm

Swerb wrote:Winners of 5 of their last 7. Cordero back with Rauch and Colome as solid 7th and 8th inning guys. Pichers like Bergmann, Shawn Hill, and former Indians Traber and Bacsik coming out of the woodwork. Zimmerman, Kearns, Church starting to heat up. Nick the Stick getting closer to returning every day.

Wild card run? :roll :roll:

Glad to see the Nats at least playing respectably. I have a soft spot in my heart for them for some reason - could be that I love visiting DC. For the rabid history, art, culture, etc buff that I am, DC is just an amazing place. Hotter than hell in the summer, though. It's more humid than Florida; Ohio can be in the summer as well and that's saying a lot.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB