Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Peralta

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Peralta

Unread postby leadpipe » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:53 am

Reading the rountable piece I agree with most that he is an important swing player for the team. I think the guy is going to hit. I don't think he's a major league shortstop, and his ceiling there is very limited. Not sure what he's done the last two years that makes the team thinks he will be adequate. Horrible range and Manny like lapses. It's one thing to have lapses in left field, quite another at short. It seems sometimes with two outs in the 9th innning of a one run game the guy really doesn't even recognize the situation.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby consigliere » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:58 am

You won't believe this, and I didn't believe it either......but Honny is actually a decent SS. Never thought I would write that ever, but he is, at least according to every known stat according to man in baseball. Whether traditional stats like fielding percentage, zone rating or range factor....or sabermetric stats like RATE, FRAR, and RAA......I was stunned with my findings on him.

I really believe the glasses and not having to adjust to the growth spurt this year will help in a big way.....

I don't want to scoop myself though, as I go into this in great detail for Tuesday's Infield Preview. :mrgreen:
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby Dozen » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:37 pm

Its safe to say this is a make or break year for Jhonny. I do think his hitting woes affected his fielding. Baseball seems to be a mental game for alot especially young players. I think this guy breaks out this year and gets back on track.
http://www.thesportshole.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheSportsHole

I have never seen so many kok heads all lumped together like that ~ Yhimmie
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Unread postby leadpipe » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:04 pm

I'm aware of range factors and all the new age stats that measure defense. One who watched the majority of Indians games would be hard pressed to say he was a decent defender last year.

And, I would hope a "growth spurt" excuse is some sort of hoax or something, because, man, is that a reach as a reason for ineffectiveness.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby DGeneral » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:55 pm

Lead Pipe wrote:I'm aware of range factors and all the new age stats that measure defense. One who watched the majority of Indians games would be hard pressed to say he was a decent defender last year.

Anyone who watched Jhonny play shortstop last year knows the is slow to get to ground balls on either side of the infield. His range is an issue and it is a liability to pitchers, especially Sowers , Lee , and Westbrook.

Jhonny needs to compensate for his shoddy defense by offensive production.

If he doesn't hit this year, time to move him elsewhere.
DGeneral

Unread postby consigliere » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:47 pm

THe thing is, Peralta is an abover average fielder and thrower. It is the range that is an issue. He was actually better defensively in 2006 than 2005....I know, seems impossible....but he was. The great offensive season in 2005 covered it up a lot. And, I think the Lasik surgery will help him in the range department. It won't make him above average range-wise, but hopefully adequate. Part of his problem was positioning last year and getting jumps on balls, which really was hampered because he couldn't see the catcher's signs often.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby leadpipe » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:35 pm

If anything a great offensive season covers up fielding deficiencies. He isn't going to develop the range you would like to have from a major league shortstop
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby pup » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:47 pm

This is my problem with "stat" guys. There is no way Peralta was a better overall defensive SS last year than the year before. You can quote all the "balls he got to" numbers all you want, but that does not matter.

Lets say he gets to 30 more balls in 2005 than 2006. He makes 8 errors on those plays(which is high), and eats 8 balls (no throw). That leaves 14 balls that either the guy beats out for the same single he would have had, or we get an out that we didn't get in 2006. The net numbers look like he made 8 more errors, and only got say 8 more assists. But really they mean we got 8 more outs and depending on the error, maybe gave up a couple of extra bases.

Ask Westbrook which Peralta he would rather have.

And I still think he will be fine this year, this is more about the stats than the player.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby leadpipe » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:19 pm

The stats also fail to indicate the times he was seemingly asleep at the wheel during crucial points in games.

Also, Pup I'm not sure if I would ask Jake Westbrook that question, because I don't think either Peralta would be his answer.

I think if you are going to have the make-up that the Tribe's staff is going to have this year you need a good defensive player at that position. A guy like Paul Byrd needs all the help he can get.

Look, I like Peralta's bat and I'm not sure they really have a choice this year, but it is what it is
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Dozen » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:38 pm

The thing is here while Peralta will never have Omars range (which I think alot of people compare him to) but he's a good ballplayer. Something stats dont show for instance is some things that happened last year. I cant recall an exact game but I'll give you an example. Tribe up 1 late in the game, the Bully lets a guy on. Then steals second, then gets to third cuzz an errant throw. All of a sudden the infield comes in. Toss in the fact Peralta cant see, and a laser gets hit at him. Catch my drift? I remember this happening more than once. Now I hate excuses, but I think this kid is a ballplayer and will rebound this year. Yes Consigliere, your optimism is rubbing off on me. I truly believe some of the errors were caused by others and put him in a bad spot.
http://www.thesportshole.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheSportsHole

I have never seen so many kok heads all lumped together like that ~ Yhimmie
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Unread postby pup » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:04 pm

Also, Pup I'm not sure if I would ask Jake Westbrook that question, because I don't think either Peralta would be his answer.

True, but if he had to pick one or be tied in a chair and have Mike Brown explain offensive basketball, I am guessing he would select one of the Paraltas and it would be 2005 Jhonny.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby pup » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:12 pm

The thing is here while Peralta will never have Omars range (which I think alot of people compare him to) but he's a good ballplayer. Something stats dont show for instance is some things that happened last year. I cant recall an exact game but I'll give you an example. Tribe up 1 late in the game, the Bully lets a guy on. Then steals second, then gets to third cuzz an errant throw. All of a sudden the infield comes in. Toss in the fact Peralta cant see, and a laser gets hit at him. Catch my drift?

No, I don't. He is a Major League SS. Catch the ball, look the runner back, get the out. Everything else you mentioned is independent of your SS making a play. It is the same problem I have with the Browns and Cavs. I do not care what just happened, make the next play that is available, and you will be much more succesful.

The thing is here while Peralta will never have Omars range (which I think alot of people compare him to) but he's a good ballplayer.

I agree. He has preformed well at every level in baseabll, including the majors. You do not win MVP in every minor league, then have the type of year you had in '05 without being a good ball player. Most of us believe he will rebound.

I truly believe some of the errors were caused by others and put him in a bad spot.

Dozen, that is a bad point. Jhonny makes errors because he is lazy and slow. Not because Victor can't throw. Not because Byrd walked someone. Not because CC ate Peralta's lunch. Stop being lazy, improve your quickness, and act like a professional.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby leadpipe » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:07 am

Not that this is the end all be all, but can anyone remember the guy leaving his feet for a ground ball the last two years. Because I can't.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby pup » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:34 am

Do not, for any reason, get that uniform dirty Jhonny.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB