Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

2007 Batting Order/Opening Day Roster

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

2007 Batting Order/Opening Day Roster

Unread postby swerb » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:03 am

CF Grady Sizemore
RF Trot Nixon
DH Travis Hafner
C Victor Martinez
LF David Dellucci
1B Casey Blake
SS Jhonny Peralta
3B Andy Marte
2B Josh Barfield

Bench

C Kelly Shoppach
1b Ryan Garko
OF Jason Michaels
OF Choo/Gutierrez
UTIL Inglett/Luna/Rivas/Ginter

Vs LHP, Michaels in for Dellucci, Garko at 1b, Blake in RF?

If they leave camp with a 12 man staff, Garko or Choo/Gutierrez starts in Buffalo. If Inglett/Luna is the UTIL (can also play LF), then Choo and Gutierrez likely both don't make it.

I say they break camp with a 11 man staff this year ...

SP CC Sabathia
SP Jake Westbrook
SP Cliff Lee
SP Jeremy Sowers
SP Paul Byrd

RP Rafael Betancourt
RP Fernando Cabrera
RP Aaron Fultz
RP Roberto Hernandez
RP Joe Borowski
RP Keith Foulke

Carmona starts at Buffalo. Matt Miller, Jason Davis, Rafael Perez, Tom Mastny, Eddie Mujica, Tony Sipp, and Juan Lara do too.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby consigliere » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:12 am

You have it all right but three things.

1. They will carry 12 pitchers. So, that means that the 5th OFer (Gutierrez/Choo) you listed is not needed. (I personally prefer the old 11-man staff, but for whatever reason the Indians the past few years prefer a 12 man staff).

2. There is no chance for Choo to make this team. He hits left-handed, the same as Dellucci and Nixon. The only chance a "5th" outfielder would have is to play versus lefties, which means he has to be a switch-hitter or right-handed. Also, really, Blake is the 5th OFer on this team (or potentially even the utlity guy). Unless there is an injury or trade, Choo is going to Buffalo.

3. Davis is out of options. he makes the team or is lost on waivers.

(Oh, and unless he gets injured or is God-awful in camp, Garko is a lock to make this team as a much needed RHed bat off the bench for PH duty late in games for Dellucci/Nixon when a LOOGY is brought in, and he likely gets 2/3's of the starts at 1B vs lefties (Martinez the other 1/3).
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby swerb » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:17 am

1st three beers at the first Indians game we go to this season says that they break camp with an 11 man staff this year.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:33 am

we'll be facing chicago on opening day

that means Marke Buehrle which means left hander

so

Grady
J-Mike LF
Pronk
Veektor
Blake RF
Barfield
JP
Garko 1B
Marte

Backup C - Shoppach
UTI - Inglett(he can play short, 2B, 3B and the OF)
OF - Dellucci, Nixon

Pitchers

CC
JW
Lee
Sowers
Byrd
JD
Betancourt
K-Brera
Borowski
Fultz
Foulke
Hernandez
Miller

I think the Indians will ahve to carry a 13 man staff as i dont believe the team can do without a long man (JD) or without someone so dominant against righties (miller)

and I think its already been stated that we'll only have one utility player which is why garko will make the club but wont play everyday
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby consigliere » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:49 am

Dude, I take that bet.

If they go with 11 pitchers, it means they will have traded or released Miller and Davis (which I don't believe will happen.....one is gone, but not both).

(BTW, fuck you for making me gamble. I am hardly a gambler, so this tells you how certain I am of the 12 pitchers.) :mrgreen:
consigliere

Unread postby ACrank » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:14 pm

Count me as one who thinks they go with 12 pitchers as well. Roster is pretty much set:

Martinez c/1b/dh

Shoppach

Barfield

Peralta

Marte

UIF (probably Luna)

Dellucci lf/rf

Michaels lf/rf/cf

Sizemore

Nixon

Blake rf/1b/3b

Hafner

There will be a "battle" for the 25th spot on the roster that I will rank in this way:

Garko

Inglett

Gutierrez

Choo

Garko wins this one going away only because the need for a RH bat is still there. Inglett could surprise due to his "versatility', but his inability to play short will limit him.
ACrank
Admitted Apologist

Unread postby DGeneral » Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:15 pm

You have it all right but three things.

1. They will carry 12 pitchers. So, that means that the 5th OFer (Gutierrez/Choo) you listed is not needed. (I personally prefer the old 11-man staff, but for whatever reason the Indians the past few years prefer a 12 man staff).

2. There is no chance for Choo to make this team. He hits left-handed, the same as Dellucci and Nixon. The only chance a "5th" outfielder would have is to play versus lefties, which means he has to be a switch-hitter or right-handed. Also, really, Blake is the 5th OFer on this team (or potentially even the utlity guy). Unless there is an injury or trade, Choo is going to Buffalo.

3. Davis is out of options. he makes the team or is lost on waivers.

(Oh, and unless he gets injured or is God-awful in camp, Garko is a lock to make this team as a much needed RHed bat off the bench for PH duty late in games for Dellucci/Nixon when a LOOGY is brought in, and he likely gets 2/3's of the starts at 1B vs lefties (Martinez the other 1/3).

I agree with your assessment. 12 pitchers. Davis will make the squad. Garko is RH bat on the bench but he should be given a chance to start at 1b.

I'm concerned about the way this front office is hedging and weaseling about Garko's defense and his roster status. Wedge is so enthralled with Blake, Garko will rot on the pine with rust whenever he does get AB's.

Mishandling promising young players is a familiar pattern with Shapiro-Wedge. Criminal that it appears Garko will not get a fair chance to play first base every day and mash like he did the last 2 months of the season.

I think Inglett sneaks in at utility IF. He is fast, can hit in the clutch which will overcome his stone hands and lack of range.
DGeneral

Unread postby consigliere » Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:23 pm

DGen, I agree with most of what you said.

Only two additions:

1. While Garko won't be the everyday 1B, he will get the lion's share of the starts at 1B against lefties (Martinez with some as well).

2. I like Inglett....but Shapiro made it pretty clear early in the offseason that the backup middle infielder needs to be a defensive-minded player, of which Inglett is not. I'm of the believe that Ingeltt will start in Buffalo, and that really as far as current roster options go it comes down to Hector Luna, Luis Rivas and Mike Rouse....with Rivas having the edge because of his defense and speed.

But, that said, I believe it is more likely they made a trade near the end of camp for a utility guy or claim one off waivers.
consigliere

Unread postby DGeneral » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:13 pm

DGen, I agree with most of what you said.

2. I like Inglett....but Shapiro made it pretty clear early in the offseason that the backup middle infielder needs to be a defensive-minded player, of which Inglett is not. I'm of the believe that Ingeltt will start in Buffalo, and that really as far as current roster options go it comes down to Hector Luna, Luis Rivas and Mike Rouse....with Rivas having the edge because of his defense and speed.

But, that said, I believe it is more likely they made a trade near the end of camp for a utility guy or claim one off waivers.

I think this team is stocked with Utility players. If Inglett doesn't make it, I'd look for Luna next. I would be surprised by a trade.

Vasquez was an embarrasment last year. They are not stupid enough to make the same mistake twice with another weakstick.
DGeneral

Unread postby consigliere » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:20 pm

bump.

I will win this bet.
consigliere

Unread postby swerb » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:25 pm

Consigliere wrote:bump.

I will win this bet.

I was buying either way. :lol: