Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Sabathia- "Show me the money"

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Sabathia- "Show me the money"

Unread postby consigliere » Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:51 pm

http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/plaindea ... xml&coll=2

Tribe's Sabathia in line to cash in
Saturday, January 13, 2007
Paul Hoynes
Plain Dealer Reporter

The free-agent pitching market this holiday season turned into the gift that keeps on giving for C.C. Sabathia.

Free agents Gil Meche ($55 million for five years), Ted Lilly ($40 million, four years), Jason Schmidt ($46 million, three years) and Mike Mussina ($23 million, two years) signed before Christmas. So did Japanese import Daisuke Matsuzaka, reaching a six- year, $52.5 million deal with Boston.

Then came the biggie. The one Santa couldn't de liver Christ mas Eve be cause the chimney was too narrow. On Jan. 2, San Francisco signed Barry Zito to a seven-year, $126 million contract.

Sabathia hasn't stopped smiling since.

Zito enters this season with 95 victories, the second most by a left-hander in the last six years. Sabathia, a left-hander with 81 victories over the same period, should be beyond Zito's win total after the 2008 season when he's eligible for free agency.

"Definitely excited," said Sabathia, when asked how he reacted to the recent signings.

"Hopefully, I can stay healthy and be in the position those guys are in."

The Indians have Sabathia under contract through 2008. He'll make $8.75 million this season and $9 million in 2008.

Indians General Manager Mark Shapiro said he'll approach Sabathia, Travis Hafner and Jake Westbrook about extensions during spring training.

"I'm always open to that," said Sabathia. "I've been here my whole career. I grew up here. I would definitely sit down and talk about it."

Sabathia, who returned to California on Friday, was in Cleveland to get his surgically repaired right knee examined. Indians trainers also wanted to check his conditioning.

"My knee is about 80 percent," said Sabathia.

Sabathia, looking fit, said he'll be ready to open spring training when pitchers and catchers report to Winter Haven, Fla., on Feb. 15. He's been throwing since November and has been cleared to start running.

Westbrook can be a free agent after this upcoming season. Hafner, like Sabathia, will be eligible for free agency after the 2008 season.

Sabathia said the Indians would have to make a significant offer to get him to sign an extension.

"It's going to be tough, not just for me, but for Jake and [Hafner], too," said Sabathia. "The people around here are going to have some tough decisions to make in the next two years."

Sabathia says one of the factors in negotiations will be the Tribe's ability to win.

"Everyone wants to play for a winner," he said. "I'm always going to have feelings for this place. I know everyone from top to bottom."

Sabathia said a desire to pitch closer to his home in Vallejo, Calif., is not an overriding factor.

"I want to be in a place where I'm comfortable," said Sabathia. "I feel comfortable here. I own a home here. This is like home, too.

"I've got a lot of thinking to do. I'm going to talk to my wife. Talk to my mom. So when the time comes, I'll be ready."

Sabathia, 26, was still in the minors when Manny Ramirez left the Indians through free agency following the 2000 season. He was in his second year when Jim Thome left the same way at the end of the 2002 season.

He said he hoped the Indians could make a commitment to him to make him stay.

"I know they went after Thome," said Sabathia. "They made the effort. So it's up to the player.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby Dozen » Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:35 pm

Show him a diet plan, he added 2 more rolls to the back of his neck.
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Unread postby sandlot33 » Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:20 pm

we won't sign him...we will let him go like every talented player we have ever had....
HerrliBomb
sandlot33

Unread postby Dozen » Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:40 pm

agree :-( :sad: :(
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:25 pm

out of the 3 CC is most likely to sign

he ahs loyalties to the club is Cleveland through and through and really will take a discount. Thats not to say we'll sign him but out of the 3 he'll most likely be willing to sign an extension rather than go into the FA pool.

the easiest guy to re-sing would be Hafner given that we would only have competition from 14 other teams (no DH in NL) and he wont command a Carlos Lee salary given that he is only a DH.

Shapiros whole 'plan' is built around creating a strong nucleus of players within the organization so it would make no sense for him to let these players walk without a fight.
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby furls » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:01 am

resigning sabathia will be nearly impossible. He will command ~20million per year and the Indians cannot afford that. End of story, enjoy him for two more years.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby pup » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:08 am

he ahs loyalties to the club is Cleveland through and through and really will take a discount

riiiiiiiiiiight. Good one.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:05 am

he ahs loyalties to the club is Cleveland through and through and really will take a discount

riiiiiiiiiiight. Good one.

how do u know I'm wrong

try and post something sensible and add something to the discussion for once
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby swerb » Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:34 am

Danny, lets start with the fact that the Indians are perpetually on the record as saying they are philosophically opposed to tying up that large of a chunk of their payroll on one guy.

Seondly ... Belle, Ramirez, Thome, Colon.

Thirdly, CC has done nothing but publicly gloat over the contracts signed by Zito and Schmidt. He doesn't sound much like a guy willing to give a "hometown discount" to me. Sure, he's throwing out the obligatory "Sure I'd love to stay here".

But it's fantasy land.

He's gone in two years, and will command close to 20 million per.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby pup » Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:58 am

try and post something sensible and add something to the discussion for once

Soccer is for girls.

I could write what Swerb just did, but I figured at this point most Tribe fans know all of these things and they did not need to be reminded of the past 8 years of what has happened around here.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby furls » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:32 am

The worst part is that I wish I could blame Dolan for being unable to sign C.C., but it is not going to be his fault. The Tribe will not be able to spend more than 75mill-80mill in payroll, and under those constraints, resigning Sabathia is impossible. Between C.C., and Hafner, that would 1/2 of the tribes entire payroll. You cannot compete that way.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby swerb » Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:02 am

Agreed Furls. I think the play here for the Tribe is to resign Hafner and deal CC.

Hafner won't command CC like money. He can't play the field, which means only 14 teams, not 30 can bid for him, which will keep his price slighly lower.

When to deal CC though? The sooner you do it, the more you get, as he has two years ticking on his current, cap friendly deal. Now? This summer at the deadline? Next off-season? Or take it all the way up next years deadline?

The answer may be tied to what the team ultimately does with Westbrook, who is a FA at years end. Sowers and Lee are the only two current rotation members who are still under contract through '09 and beyond.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby furls » Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:17 am

I think you have to assess where the tribe is at the deadline this year. If they are competing they have to pull out all the stops and make a push for the World Series. Doing this may generate enough revenue in 2008 to resign Sabathia (I doubt it, but hey). If they can re-energize the fan base with terrific play this season and get attendance up into the 30k per game range, than maybe that salary total moves to 90m.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Dozen » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:45 pm

It would be tough to see CC go but 20 million for a guy who averages 13 wins a year? Obviously is isnt all his fault, but if you cant put anything around the guy why do it?
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Unread postby sandlot33 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:49 pm

since we still have money to spend and I have not heard of any deals or trades in the works could we not restructure his deal now and give him 5 years for 75 mil...no???
HerrliBomb
sandlot33

Unread postby furls » Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:58 pm

I wonder if he would buy the Brooklyn Bridge too...

In this market, if you could get him to sign for 15million per you would be my idol. I understand "time value of money" and what not, but 15 million? I get that he would be getting a raise of about 12 million over the next two years, but that deal would cost him $25million on the back end. That also assumes that he would go for 20million per year. I would not be surprised to see him get more. Lefties with 98MPH fastballs and the ability to go deep in games are worth whatever the big markets are willing to overpay for them.

I think we will get a better idea of C.C.'s value when Santana signs. I would put his floor in excess of Zito's and his ceiling below Santana's (which I would not be surprised to see in the 23-25million ball park).

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby pup » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:11 am

since we still have money to spend

They may say they have money to spend, and money is not a factor, but until they prove this by signing someone that actually helps this team, I am not buying it.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby consigliere » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:33 am

Sabathia's deal won't be re-strucutered. Not only is he going to go for the $$$ in FA, but this is his prime opportunity to get a large deal in the amount of years. Sure, tearing up his current contract would give him more in 2007 and 2008.....but if it is a 5 year deal, it is only adding 3 years to his current deal guaranteed.

By letting his current deal mature, he can tack on a 6-7 year deal with more gauranteed money.

THink about it....what is better: 5 years at $80M for 2007-2011? Or, including his current deal, 9 years and $150M? :-) :smile: :)
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby pup » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:46 am

THink about it....what is better: 5 years at $80M for 2007-2011? Or, including his current deal, 9 years and $150M?

So let's just give him the 9 year deal.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby General » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:31 pm

This may seem off topic but don't you think that MLB should divide the teams into big market/small market leagues. With this in mind the Tribe competes against teams of like finances for the majority of the season and when the playoffs roll around (World Series) the competition is more level by being reduced to a 7 game series. The Tribe will never be able to compete for the big $ guys because of market constraints. Obviously these guys (players and union and agents) want to maximize income because of the fragile nature of their productive years. Just a thought.
General

Favorite Player: Paul Warfield
Least Favorite Player: 537 Idiots in DC

Unread postby leadpipe » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:56 pm

Loyalty has been gone from the game for years, and it isn't the players fault. To assume any team, anywhere is going to be on the receiving end of a hometown discount is misguided. The guy will be foolishly overpaid just like Gil Meche was. Cleveland's problem is that he's 20 times better than Gil Meche.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB