Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Indians Reduce Roster by 15 players

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Re: Indians Reduce Roster by 15 players

Unread postby MadThinker88 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:18 pm

Eckersley wrote:Tony, when can teams officially place injured guys on the DL?

I think the date has already passed because the Twins placed someone on the 60 day DL right as camp was opening in order to make a roster signing.
MadThinker88
In Tressel We Trust

Unread postby Eckersley » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:36 pm

Jay wrote:So, you're saying the team was bad in the first few months not so much because Hafner, Victor, Fausto and Jake all got injured ... but rather because Wedge is a bad motivator? Is that it? Golly, you sure know a lot about baseball!

JSL

Are you saying the team played bad the 1st 4 months because of Pronk, Jake, Fausto & Vic?

Have you looked at the contributions of those 4 players during the good stretch run over the last 2 months of the season? If not, perhaps you should before you make such a post.

Wedge piloted the ship from opening day until the last game. Not sure why most Tribe fans credit him with the last 2 months & give him a free pass on the 1st 4, but that's their perogative.
If the Dolans owned BP, they'd give promotions to everyone responsible for the oil spill.
Eckersley
Politically Incorrect

Favorite Player: Dennis Eckersley
Least Favorite Player: Pete Rose

Unread postby KnightWhoSaysGIH » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:44 pm

Eckersley wrote:How many times have you heard the FO state that the only goal is to win it all?

Shapiro has stated that he wants the team to be competitive each year in order to make the playoffs as much as possible, in order to eventually win a title. Disagree if you want, but you have to admit it's reasonable.

The instant gratification method is the Yankee way.
KnightWhoSaysGIH

Favorite Player: Jhonny Peralta at SS
Least Favorite Player: Jhonny Peralta at SS

Unread postby KnightWhoSaysGIH » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:47 pm

Eckersley wrote:
Jay wrote:So, you're saying the team was bad in the first few months not so much because Hafner, Victor, Fausto and Jake all got injured ... but rather because Wedge is a bad motivator? Is that it? Golly, you sure know a lot about baseball!

JSL

Are you saying the team played bad the 1st 4 months because of Pronk, Jake, Fausto & Vic?

Have you looked at the contributions of those 4 players during the good stretch run over the last 2 months of the season? If not, perhaps you should before you make such a post.

Wedge piloted the ship from opening day until the last game. Not sure why most Tribe fans credit him with the last 2 months & give him a free pass on the 1st 4, but that's their perogative.

Why did the Indians start poorly? As far as I can tell, no one hit, CC sucked, and the pen was terrible. I'm not sure how htat is Wedge's fault, just as it was not to his credit when the opposite happened in 2007. Did anyone in the first two months not play hard? Not as far as I can tell. Nor was Wedge's bullpen management or SP management bad.

We can all look at two month blocks, but I'm not sure why you'd want to do that.
KnightWhoSaysGIH

Unread postby Eckersley » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:49 pm

KnightWhoSaysGIH wrote:
Eckersley wrote:How many times have you heard the FO state that the only goal is to win it all?

Shapiro has stated that he wants the team to be competitive each year in order to make the playoffs as much as possible, in order to eventually win a title. Disagree if you want, but you have to admit it's reasonable.

Reasonable? It sounds good.

So far, he's batting at a .143 clip as far as making the playoffs.

But hey, Tribe players respect the game. That oughta make fans run out & plunk down hundreds, if not thousands on season tickets. :loadof:
If the Dolans owned BP, they'd give promotions to everyone responsible for the oil spill.
Eckersley
Politically Incorrect

Unread postby Eckersley » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:51 pm

KnightWhoSaysGIH wrote:We can all look at two month blocks, but I'm not sure why you'd want to do that.

I only did so because so many posters praise Wedge for the team play over the final 2 months.

All I'm saying is if they want to praise him for those 2 months, why not hold him accountable for the train wreck from April thru July?

Also, we'll disagree on his bullpen management early on last season. I think 29 other managers would not have had Borowski attempting to close out games when his fastball was topping out at 82 MPH.
Eckersley
Politically Incorrect

Unread postby KnightWhoSaysGIH » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:33 pm

Eckersley wrote:
KnightWhoSaysGIH wrote:We can all look at two month blocks, but I'm not sure why you'd want to do that.

I only did so because so many posters praise Wedge for the team play over the final 2 months.

All I'm saying is if they want to praise him for those 2 months, why not hold him accountable for the train wreck from April thru July?

Also, we'll disagree on his bullpen management early on last season. I think 29 other managers would not have had Borowski attempting to close out games when his fastball was topping out at 82 MPH.

Yea, that's why I quoted everyone. I agree with you that you can't look at the second half without the first. We disagree on what caused the first two months, though.

We agree on Borowski: that was dumb. But that blew only three games? That wasn't the reason the first half went up in smoke, it was barely big enough to be a reason at all. (But you are right: to the extent they ran him out there, they were idiots)

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/gl ... &year=2008
KnightWhoSaysGIH

Unread postby KnightWhoSaysGIH » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:35 pm

Eckersley wrote:
KnightWhoSaysGIH wrote:

Reasonable? It sounds good.

So far, he's batting at a .143 clip as far as making the playoffs.

You can't reasonably count the (necessary imo) rebuilding years against him without offering some alternative aside from insults.
KnightWhoSaysGIH

Unread postby Eckersley » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:47 pm

[quote="KnightWhoSaysGIH"]We agree on Borowski: that was dumb. But that blew only three games? That wasn't the reason the first half went up in smoke, it was barely big enough to be a reason at all. (But you are right: to the extent they ran him out there, they were idiots)

"they" ran him out there? "they" were idiots?

I only see 1 guy making calls to the bullpen, unless you think he's merely a puppet who moves only when Shapiro pulls his strings.
Eckersley
Politically Incorrect

Unread postby KnightWhoSaysGIH » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:57 pm

Eckersley wrote:
KnightWhoSaysGIH wrote:We agree on Borowski: that was dumb. But that blew only three games? That wasn't the reason the first half went up in smoke, it was barely big enough to be a reason at all. (But you are right: to the extent they ran him out there, they were idiots)

"they" ran him out there? "they" were idiots?

I only see 1 guy making calls to the bullpen, unless you think he's merely a puppet who moves only when Shapiro pulls his strings.

Shapiro and Willis were complicit. Shapiro makes roster decisions, Willis oversees the pitching staff.

So yes, "they."
KnightWhoSaysGIH

Unread postby consigliere » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:23 am

Eckersley wrote:I only did so because so many posters praise Wedge for the team play over the final 2 months.

The biggest difference between the first half and second half team was the bullpen. And I don't give Wedge much credit for all those changes that resulted in positives the second half of the season. But, what really impressed me, and is telling to me in this day and age of professional sports, is how Wedge kept the team together and how strong they finished. I am a middle of the road guy when it comes to Wedge, but the way they never quit really impressed me.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby Jennifer » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:49 am

MadThinker88 wrote:
Eckersley wrote:Tony, when can teams officially place injured guys on the DL?

I think the date has already passed because the Twins placed someone on the 60 day DL right as camp was opening in order to make a roster signing.
As I understand it from September to the start of the season there is no 25 man roster only a 40 man roster.

If a 40 man roster spot is needed than putting a player on the 60 day makes sense.

Putting a player on the 15 day DL at this point makes little sense because it frees up no spot on either roster.
I never learn anything if everyone always agrees with me.
Jennifer

Unread postby Jennifer » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:30 am

The Indians would have liked David Huff to stay in the mix for a starting spot in the rotation, but didn't want him taking any chances with the bicep tendinitis that bothered him early in camp. He is fine and pitching, but he does have a history of some arm problems as he missed the final three months of 2007. He will let him open at Class AAA Columbus.
Huff has only 214 pro innings, so he can use the experience.

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/blog/ind ... _mang.html
I never learn anything if everyone always agrees with me.
Jennifer

Unread postby winker » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:40 pm

I believe Wedgie is clearly in the top 99% of all Major league managers.
winker

Favorite Player: Jim
Least Favorite Player: Mike

Previous

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB