Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Barry Zito

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Barry Zito

Unread postby jjgmyers » Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:44 pm

S.F. Giants? Were they ever mentioned to get him?

7 years. . .$126 mil

The giants rotation next year:
Zito
Cain
Lowery
M.Morris

Seems pretty good in that weak division but at least we're close to signing Keith Foulke. . .so we got that going for us
jjgmyers
I Heart Fat Chicks

Unread postby consigliere » Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:03 pm

That deal is downright stupid. Does anyone really believe that Zito, a curveball pitcher, will last all 7 years of that deal? I have no problem with paying a guy $18M per, because that is the going rate these days....it is the years of the deal that is downright laughable. The strain he puts on his elbow throwin gthat pitch, and the wear it already has from several years in the league already.....I'd be surprised if he can live up to that 7-year deal.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby pup » Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:13 pm

If a guy that has never spent a day on the DL, has made 34 or 35 starts every year and logged over 200 innings each season is an injury concern, then you would never sign anyone to a contract.

Yes he throws a big curveball, but his mechanics with it are very fluid, and he throws it directly over the top which causes much less strain.

So if he wins 90 games over the next 5 years, then spends a couple weeks on the DL, would you say this deal is bad?

The contract will only take him to the age of 35, so I don't see a major dropoff in his game before then.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby consigliere » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:05 am

If anything, CC's going rate has been established......although the market is expected to settle in the next few years. Looks like it will take about 6 years and $15M per to keep CC. It will be VERY interesting to see how the Indians handle his pending FA.....
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby swerb » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:36 am

Buh bye CC
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby pup » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:55 am

:cry :cry: :thumbdown: :salut:
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby furls » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:20 pm

This is the new market paradigm in baseball. THere are 4 or 5 Major league teams and 24 AAAA teams that get to develop the talent for them for the first few years of their careers.

THe more I see these deals, the more apparent it becomes to me that I should stop watching baseball and become cumpulsive-obsessive about my yard in the summer instead.

The Indians have no shot at retaining Hafner, Sizemore, or CC following the end of their current contracts. All three of them will demand 100+ million dollar deals and that will be out of the tribes price range regardless of who owns them (short of Bill Gates).
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB