Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Spring Training Games Thread

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Re: Spring Training Games Thread

Unread postby Chris » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:28 pm

I love DeRosa already, his attitude and everything, and seems like a solid ball player.

Boring game so far though, a couple cool moments. Now Mujica is in...

EDIT: And is starting early this year, I see
Chris

Unread postby nwizzle » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:37 pm

I hate myself for being optimistic about Mujica... Unless he's lights out for the rest of spring you can't really trust the guy. Nasty stuff at times, and others... he's Juan Rincon.
nwizzle

Unread postby Tribegrl85 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:41 pm

Who popped out at the bottom of the inning? Led off the inning...
Tribegrl85

Favorite Player: Ryan Garko
Least Favorite Player: 2009 Indians Bullpen

Unread postby Babrook » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:44 pm

How did Perdomo get to SF?

edit: nvm, Rule 5.
Babrook
Brendan Donnelly Groupie

Favorite Player: Fausto Carmona
Least Favorite Player: Gary Sheffield

Unread postby Chris » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:46 pm

Come on LaPorta, gimme a reason to get out of my chair

Ahhhhh geez :D
Chris

Unread postby Tribegrl85 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:07 pm

Nice at bats for Head and Brantley
Tribegrl85

Unread postby Chris » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:13 pm

We're about to get embarrassed! Come on Chulk! :nanner:
Chris

Unread postby Tribegrl85 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:31 pm

I wouldn't call Laporta the fastest runner.
Tribegrl85

Unread postby TitoFrancona » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:32 pm

Mujica has little or no chance imo of making the team. What a waste of a good arm. If only he had a brain.

Chulk is just a warm body to throw out there, he doesn't have a chance either.
TitoFrancona

Favorite Player: Tito Francona
Least Favorite Player: Jim Thome

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:34 pm

Too bad Goodyear is a failing rubber company. Having Goodyear Field in Cleveland too would be very interesting.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby nwizzle » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:34 pm

Who is Damaso Espino? Aren't there minor leaguers we actually care about that can bat?
nwizzle

Unread postby justmebd » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:37 pm

Figures.

I'm 45 minutes from Goodyear (with traffic, which is nasty in Phoenix) but I can't get out of work. I'm not complaining about that particular bit because at least I still have a job.

So I log onto MLB.com to listen to the audio and it tells me to re-subscribe. But I'm on automatic renewal, so I don't know what the problem is. I know if I hit the re-subscribe button I'll end up getting hit on my credit card twice, because that's already happened to me once.

Then my wife calls and tells me the Indians are on MLBtv, but the TV at work doesn't have that channel.

AAARRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!!
justmebd

Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Unread postby consigliere » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:49 pm

nwizzle wrote:Who is Damaso Espino? Aren't there minor leaguers we actually care about that can bat?

He's just an extra catcher in camp....is in big league camp too to get at bats for the WBC he is playing in.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby TitoFrancona » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:51 pm

Well Aubrey hits one out. At least the Tribe got back the 3 runs they gave up in the 8th. LaPorta with a single and Barfield and Espino with RBI doubles. Herges in the 9th.

A couple of years ago and we would have been doing cartwheels over Aubrey hitting one out. Now, it's a whatever.
TitoFrancona

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:56 pm

Back to back guys hit with pitches with two outs and the Indians down 3 in the 9th. Fascinating that these guys for SF are in big league camps.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:58 pm

And Hammy gets my hopes up for a flyball to be caught at the wall.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Chris » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:00 pm

Skating Tripods wrote:And Hammy gets my hopes up for a flyball to be caught at the wall.

Dude.

I SWORE that was a home run as it came off LaPorta's bat. I jumped up and was like 95% sure it was way outta here.

And it dies at the wall and gets caught. Fucking ridiculous, hahaha.

Oh well, at least it was a fun game in the end. I liked the way some of our kids looked. Good try, LaPorta.
Chris

Unread postby consigliere » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:00 pm

Damn you Hammy....he made it sound for a second or two like LaPorta was gonna hit that one out.

Maybe they outta rethink naming the field after tires and instead name it after shuttle engines cause that place is a launching pad. NASA Field anyone?
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:01 pm

Balls fly out all game long and then LaPorta's dies at the wall. I sure as hell hope that's not an omen for the season.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Chris » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:03 pm

Skating Tripods wrote:Balls fly out all game long and then LaPorta's dies at the wall. I sure as hell hope that's not an omen for the season.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Like I said, the way it jumped off his bat I am very, very surprised that didn't go out meanwhile other garbage shots were flying out to the parking lot.
Chris

Unread postby TitoFrancona » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:09 pm

Chris wrote:
Skating Tripods wrote:Balls fly out all game long and then LaPorta's dies at the wall. I sure as hell hope that's not an omen for the season.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Like I said, the way it jumped off his bat I am very, very surprised that didn't go out meanwhile other garbage shots were flying out to the parking lot.

Why are you guys already looking for the worst things to happen this season? Just enjoy the fact that we're playing baseball again.

Nah that wasn't an omen. Now if LaPorta had grabbed his knee writhing in pain, that would be an omen.
TitoFrancona

Unread postby Chris » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:59 pm

TitoFrancona wrote:
Chris wrote:

Why are you guys already looking for the worst things to happen this season? Just enjoy the fact that we're playing baseball again.

Nah that wasn't an omen. Now if LaPorta had grabbed his knee writhing in pain, that would be an omen.

Stop reading so much into harmless conversation, you'll be better off ;)
Chris

Unread postby NH Tribe Fan » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:05 pm

Did anyone else notice Carlos Santana runs like he has a bad knee or a strained hamstring?

He looked very awkward running.....
NH Tribe Fan

Unread postby Chris » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:52 pm

Just saw on All Bets Are Off...Wood already has "back soreness". WTF.
Chris

Unread postby Chief24Wahoo » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:53 pm

Took a few things out of this game:

1. Really like DeRosa I think he's going to be a phenomenal player for us this season and really gives us a great #2 hitter behind Grady.

2. Speaking of Grady, he struck out against Lincecum. I'm praying that he can cut his k's down this season.

3. Perez gave up a run in his only inning. I know it's his first appearance but I'd really have liked it if he just went 1-2-3 against a bunch of scrubs, especially since he'll be leaving for the WBC here shortly and won't get a ton of work with the team.

4. I cannot wait for the season to start, I'm really liking our chances of winning the division this year. We just need to stay healthy and get solid starting pitching from our 3, 4, and 5 guys. GO TRIBE!
Chief24Wahoo

Favorite Player: Grady Sizemore
Least Favorite Player: Tim Tebow

Unread postby Chris » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:59 pm

Chief24Wahoo wrote:Took a few things out of this game:

1. Really like DeRosa I think he's going to be a phenomenal player for us this season and really gives us a great #2 hitter behind Grady.

2. Speaking of Grady, he struck out against Lincecum. I'm praying that he can cut his k's down this season.

3. Perez gave up a run in his only inning. I know it's his first appearance but I'd really have liked it if he just went 1-2-3 against a bunch of scrubs, especially since he'll be leaving for the WBC here shortly and won't get a ton of work with the team.

4. I cannot wait for the season to start, I'm really liking our chances of winning the division this year. We just need to stay healthy and get solid starting pitching from our 3, 4, and 5 guys. GO TRIBE!

Sounds like another bullpen guy I was interested in, Joe Smith, has a viral infection and won't get much spring work....

Really hope we stay healthy this year and at least compete.
Chris

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:03 pm

Chief24Wahoo wrote:2. Speaking of Grady, he struck out against Lincecum. I'm praying that he can cut his k's down this season.

Lincecum strikes out a lot of people, I wouldn't be worried about this.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Chief24Wahoo » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:24 pm

Skating Tripods wrote:
Chief24Wahoo wrote:2. Speaking of Grady, he struck out against Lincecum. I'm praying that he can cut his k's down this season.

I know this. It wasn't so much that it was Lincecum that struck him out, it was the fact that it was Grady that struck out. Having our leadoff hitter in the top 10 in strikeouts in the American League is what worries me. Matter of fact, we strike out entirely way too much as a team...
Chief24Wahoo

Unread postby Emmo213 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:27 am

A few thoughts from the first game:
- I look forward to watching DeRosa, if for no other reason than he's not Blake. He does seem like a classy guy though and I like his swing.
- Mujica is already in mid-season form.
- Our baserunning still looks iffy.
- The complex looks fantastic. I can't wait until mid-March when I'll be out there.
- Man is it nice to watch live baseball again!!
You can't spell "Blake" without an K *and* an E, and then all you have left is "bla." - Steve Buffum
Emmo213

Favorite Player: VMart
Least Favorite Player: Casey Freakin Blake

Unread postby cozmeesah » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:04 pm

Chief24Wahoo wrote:
Skating Tripods wrote:

I know this. It wasn't so much that it was Lincecum that struck him out, it was the fact that it was Grady that struck out. Having our leadoff hitter in the top 10 in strikeouts in the American League is what worries me. Matter of fact, we strike out entirely way too much as a team...

155 in 2007..... 130 in 2008. Looks like he *is* decreasing them to me. You're not going to get a drop of like 50 in one season. Remember he also is always near or at the top in plate appearances. Which will logically give him more chances to K than others.

But yeah. It was Lincecum, it was the first AB of the spring. Not too worried, lol.

Anyways, lineups for game vs. D-Backs today:

D-BACKS: 2B Felipe Lopez, SS Stephen Drew, DH Chris Young, LF Conor Jackson, RF Justin Upton, 3B Mark Reynolds, 1B Tony Clark, C Chris Snyder, CF Chris Roberson. RHP Dan Haren.

INDIANS: CF Grady Sizemore, 3B Mark DeRosa, C Kelly Shoppach, 1B Beau Mills, LF Matt LaPorta, RF Stephen Head, 2B Asdrubal Cabrera, SS Jesus Merchan, DH Damaso Espino. LHP Aaron Laffey

Also available to pitch: LHP David Huff, RHP Rafael Betancourt, RHP Masa Kobayashi, RHP Adam Miller, RHP John Meloan, RHP Hector Rondon, LHP Ryan Edell and RHP Greg Aquino.

Pitching looks good today. We get to see Huff, the Atom, Rondon AND see if Raffy B will be evil Raffy or nice Raffy, lol. Grady kills Danny Haren usually, so this could be fun.
cozmeesah

Least Favorite Player: AJ Pierzynski

Unread postby Chris » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:09 pm

YES. I am a huge Damaso Espino fan.
Chris

Unread postby Chief24Wahoo » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:20 pm

cozmeesah wrote:
Chief24Wahoo wrote:
Skating Tripods wrote:

155 in 2007..... 130 in 2008. Looks like he *is* decreasing them to me. You're not going to get a drop of like 50 in one season. Remember he also is always near or at the top in plate appearances. Which will logically give him more chances to K than others.

But yeah. It was Lincecum, it was the first AB of the spring. Not too worried, lol.

Anyways, lineups for game vs. D-Backs today:

D-BACKS: 2B Felipe Lopez, SS Stephen Drew, DH Chris Young, LF Conor Jackson, RF Justin Upton, 3B Mark Reynolds, 1B Tony Clark, C Chris Snyder, CF Chris Roberson. RHP Dan Haren.

INDIANS: CF Grady Sizemore, 3B Mark DeRosa, C Kelly Shoppach, 1B Beau Mills, LF Matt LaPorta, RF Stephen Head, 2B Asdrubal Cabrera, SS Jesus Merchan, DH Damaso Espino. LHP Aaron Laffey

Also available to pitch: LHP David Huff, RHP Rafael Betancourt, RHP Masa Kobayashi, RHP Adam Miller, RHP John Meloan, RHP Hector Rondon, LHP Ryan Edell and RHP Greg Aquino.

Pitching looks good today. We get to see Huff, the Atom, Rondon AND see if Raffy B will be evil Raffy or nice Raffy, lol. Grady kills Danny Haren usually, so this could be fun.

Ok, so he struck out 20 fewer times last year than the year before. Fact is, he still strikes out 1 out of every 5 at bats. That's not a good thing for a leadoff hitter.
Chief24Wahoo

Unread postby cozmeesah » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:48 pm

Chief24Wahoo wrote:Ok, so he struck out 20 fewer times last year than the year before. Fact is, he still strikes out 1 out of every 5 at bats. That's not a good thing for a leadoff hitter.

Nobody is saying it is. However, some people still point out the strikeouts but also act as if he's doing nothing about that. When numbers show he obviously is. A reduction in K's of 25 in one season is a lot.
cozmeesah

Unread postby noles1 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:23 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/ind ... =Neyer_Rob

Good article about Grady and his numbers...
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:24 pm

I have to say it...Ryan Garko would have caught that ball.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Chris » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:28 pm

Grats on that botched play. :/
Chris

Unread postby cozmeesah » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:30 pm

noles1 wrote:http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3936474&name=Neyer_Rob

Good article about Grady and his numbers...

It seems like a lot of people had a problem with Hoynsie's article, including myself. I did not like the tone of it at all and it was just plain ridiculous.

Good stuff from Neyer there. Thanks noles.
cozmeesah

Unread postby Chris » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:37 pm

There we go, LaPorta! With the bomb!
Chris

Unread postby blueoyster » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:40 pm

Anybody here with audio issues with todays broadcast?I have Directv and the audio is choppy.
dvp
blueoyster

Unread postby cozmeesah » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:43 pm

I'm having serious issues with both the MLB.com audio broadcast as well as the MLB.tv feed. Both keep restarting at a previous point. Of course that may be because of our crappy and slow connection here at work.
cozmeesah

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:02 pm

It's been two spring training games, but I love the way Mark DeRosa battles at the dish.

Good situational hitting this inning.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Jumbo » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:04 pm

That was another nice shot by DeRosa.
Jumbo
Chowderhead

Favorite Player: is not Buster Posey
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby Tribegrl85 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:09 pm

Love the 1, 2 punch at the top of our lineup Sizemore, DeRosa

Hate that they both are going to the WBC.

Another error...glad its spring training!
Tribegrl85

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:34 pm

Just paid for my MLB.tv

BASEBALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

woo it's been too long
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:50 pm

I like rookies
they hussle
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:11 pm

Well, at least Jack Cassel isn't going to make the big league club.

Spring training games like this make me think 7 innings would be plenty for these.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Chris » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:15 pm

Skating Tripods wrote:Well, at least Jack Cassel isn't going to make the big league club.

Spring training games like this make me think 7 innings would be plenty for these.

Watching guys named "Rundles" and "Cassel" blow leads 3-4 times is annoying for fans, but I guess it does serve its purpose.

EDIT: Add "Ohka" or whatever this guy's name is to the list!

Double Edit: I like this guy. Will he make the team?
Chris

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:56 pm

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that the pitching appears to be more of an issue than the hitting.
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Unread postby Chris » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:06 pm

Steve Buffum wrote:I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that the pitching appears to be more of an issue than the hitting.

pitching is awful, but most of these guys we throw on the mound wont ever see the big leagues this year
Chris

Unread postby phutatorius » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:18 pm

What, no Hammy today?
phutatorius

PreviousNext

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB