Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Spring Training Games Thread

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Re: Spring Training Games Thread

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:00 pm

Victor Martinez has hit two homers today, although one was hit off Cha Seung Baek. According to the major-league rulebook, this still counts.

This equals his major-league output of last season.

I think Victor is going to hit better in 2009 than he did in 2008.

(Before you get uppity, I know it's one spring training game and also has a high Baek Factor, but he certainly seems healthier than he was last season, and I place a large stock in his health being a primary factor in his poor numbers in 2008.)
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Unread postby Chris » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:21 pm

I missed today's game! I was at work. Hope it was cool. I'll watch the re run at 9 or whatever.
Chris

Unread postby tired » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:09 am

Enjoy the rerun. STO is not showing another spring game till March 24rth. :dead:
Do you do drugs? Good!
tired

Favorite Player: I dunno
Least Favorite Player: Boozer

Unread postby DetDawg » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:58 am

A few observations from yesterday's game:

. I don't think I've ever seen a LF'er allow a RH-hitter get a triple like Garko allowed in the 1st or 2nd inning. He's glacially slow.

. Am getting tired of seeing bats break and fly. They are not only dangerous, but they're breaking at a record pace.

. Carmona was ok. Initially, he was high with his pitches and the ball wasn't sinking. Then, he started getting the ball down and the movement improved. But, not like it sank in '07. Nevertheless, I think the defense turned a couple of DPs behind him.

. Huff didn't have command. His pitches were generally high and he didn't hit 90 mph with his FB, generally 86-89. He threw a couple changeups that the hitters didn't handle.

. MeLoan threw everything high, either above the strike zone or in the upper half of the quadrant. His FB seems explosive and I don't think any pitch exceeded 92 mph. He throws it from an overhead release, and if he got it down, it would be on an effective downward plane. The breaking ball is average and likely plays up because of MeLoan's plus FB.
DetDawg

Unread postby dpdad » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:44 pm

Am getting tired of seeing bats break and fly. They are not only dangerous, but they're breaking at a record pace.

Not to get off topic, but ever since guys started using maple instead of ash for their bats a few years back there have been problems. Unfortunately, it will probably take a fan or player to be seriously hurt for any change to be made. It's a lawsuit waiting to happen.
dpdad

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:08 pm

dpdad wrote:
Am getting tired of seeing bats break and fly. They are not only dangerous, but they're breaking at a record pace.

Not to get off topic, but ever since guys started using maple instead of ash for their bats a few years back there have been problems. Unfortunately, it will probably take a fan or player to be seriously hurt for any change to be made. It's a lawsuit waiting to happen.

I'm pretty sure they did a whole bunch of tests this off-season and they've brought in some strict regulations about the grain of the wood. Apparantly the type of wood has nothing to do with the fact they are breaking, but the grain has a significant effect.

If I remember correctly, all bats are going to be inspected prior to games and if they don't have the correct grain they will be destroyed.

I don't have a link - I'm just going from memory.
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God

Favorite Player: Jhonny Peralta
Least Favorite Player: Curt Schilling

Unread postby Toxicadam » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:09 pm

I heard in passing that they rejiggered the way the maple ones are made and now a lot of players hate them and are switching to ash.
Toxicadam

Unread postby Chris » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:39 pm

Pavano with a no-hit 2 innings. Just ST, and just 2 innings, but it's better than him getting rocked....
Chris

Unread postby Chris » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:28 pm

Shoppach still the master of the strikeout. I wish we'd traded him, honestly...I just don't see him being good this year.
Chris

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:27 pm

Chris wrote:Shoppach still the master of the strikeout. I wish we'd traded him, honestly...I just don't see him being good this year.

I disagree, I think we are a better team on offense and defense with Shop catching and Victor on 1st.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Chris » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:34 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
Chris wrote:Shoppach still the master of the strikeout. I wish we'd traded him, honestly...I just don't see him being good this year.

I disagree, I think we are a better team on offense and defense with Shop catching and Victor on 1st.

Hope so. I'm just not convinced his offensive year wasn't a fluke, and I don't know how many 2 baggers he hit but he def does not hit for the average and 20-21 home runs isn't like...amazing, really.
Chris

Unread postby CDAV6 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:58 am

20-21 homeruns in the amount of at bats he had is damn impressive. He defense is very good and I believe his rapour with Cliff Lee is what helped Lee win a Cy Young. I am not against trading Shoppach but it better be in a package deal for a top notch starting pitcher or nothing. He is very valuable to the Tribe but on the other hand we have excellent catching depth. The versatility and bat of Jiminez is super. Wyatt T. was ready defensively 2 years ago and his bat is coming along nicely. Santana is on the fast track and we haven't even mentioned Matt McBride. To think we traded away Max Ramirez to Texas is crazy. We have a plethoria of left handed pitchers, first basemen/outfielders so come on Mark get that pitcher already! It is my opinion that is what we need to put us over the top and one of the most feared teams in the league. Awesome starting pitching with the bullpen we have would be sick. I think I just made a mess in my pants so I have to stop now.
CDAV6

Favorite Player: grady sizemore
Least Favorite Player: david dellucci

Unread postby DetDawg » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:10 pm

Chris wrote:
Shoppach still the master of the strikeout. I wish we'd traded him, honestly...I just don't see him being good this year.

I like Shoppach, but think his defense is overrated. He's not as good as Victor at blocking pitches. And while Shoppach had a good caught stealing % when playing part time (36.7% in '06 and 36.1% in '07), it fell to 21.3% last year.

Victor's caught stealing % was 18%, 32% and 37.1% in '06, '07 and '08, respectively.
DetDawg

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:22 pm

Laffey gave up 4 ER in 2 IP. Betancourt gas canned his way to 3 ER in 1 IP. Tribe's down 7-1 bot 3 after an Asdrubal Cabrera RBI 2B.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Chris » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:15 pm

Skating Tripods wrote:Laffey gave up 4 ER in 2 IP. Betancourt gas canned his way to 3 ER in 1 IP. Tribe's down 7-1 bot 3 after an Asdrubal Cabrera RBI 2B.

Sounds like Raffy B is pickin up where he left off and Laffey is solidifying himself in our rotation
Chris

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:08 pm

Peralta 2-for-2, 3 run-HR off Zack Greinke today. Shoppach also homered. Reyes with two shutout innings, giving up 3 hits. Sipp with a shutout inning. 4-0 Tribe through 3.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:15 pm

Skating Tripods wrote:Reyes with two shutout innings, giving up 3 hits.

Any Ks? I'd really like Ant to get his K/9 up to at least 6, which I think he can do (he did every year in St. Louis, but not in Cleveland).
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:17 pm

Steve Buffum wrote:
Skating Tripods wrote:Reyes with two shutout innings, giving up 3 hits.

Any Ks? I'd really like Ant to get his K/9 up to at least 6, which I think he can do (he did every year in St. Louis, but not in Cleveland).

2 outs each way. 2 K, 2 GO, 2 FO. I think his K's are Crisp and Jacobs, but don't quote me.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:20 pm

Skating Tripods wrote:2 outs each way. 2 K, 2 GO, 2 FO. I think his K's are Crisp and Jacobs, but don't quote me.

I'll take it.
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Unread postby Chris » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:41 pm

Peralta continues to impress.
Chris

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:51 pm

Steve Buffum wrote:
Skating Tripods wrote:2 outs each way. 2 K, 2 GO, 2 FO. I think his K's are Crisp and Jacobs, but don't quote me.

I'll take it.

I wouldn't say striking out Mike Jacobs was a good sign of things to come...... merely means he threw the pitch within about 2 feet of the strike zone.
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:52 pm

Chris wrote:Peralta continues to impress.

I truly expect Jhonny to be the 2nd best bat in the Indians lineup (after Grady) this season. But, I am a massive fan of his so I may be a little biased.
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:54 pm

dazindiansfanuk wrote:
Chris wrote:Peralta continues to impress.

I truly expect Jhonny to be the 2nd best bat in the Indians lineup (after Grady) this season. But, I am a massive fan of his so I may be a little biased.

Add an RBI 2B on the day for Peralta.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:21 pm

Royals with a touchdown off Saarloos and Mujica in the 5th, Tribe down 8-5 now.

Mujica gave up a grand slam to Alex Gordon and a solo shot to John Buck, but only those two runs are his in the stat line.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Chris » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:37 pm

Man fuck Eddie Mujica, ST games are dumb and don't matter and don't even give a remotely accurate representation of the club but it'd be nice to at least win some games and build a winning attitude with these guys.
Chris

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:11 pm

Indians tie it at 9 in the 8th off Jimmy Gobble. Looks like Rivero had an RBI 2B and Garko followed with one of his own.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby TitoFrancona » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:29 pm

Skating Tripods wrote: 2 outs each way. 2 K, 2 GO, 2 FO. I think his K's are Crisp and Jacobs, but don't quote me.

Oh, shoot, I know, I know. I wasn't supposed to quote you. :angel:
TitoFrancona

Favorite Player: Tito Francona
Least Favorite Player: Jim Thome

Unread postby Destiny » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:53 pm

Here is the line up for today (3-6-09) from Castro's blog. With the exception of "Also available to pitch" for the Brewers in which I got from their Blog site.

INDIANS:
2B Jamey Carroll, LF David Dellucci, DH Travis Hafner, SS Jhonny Peralta, 1B Ryan Garko, C Kelly Shoppach, 3B Wes Hodges, RF Trevor Crowe, CF Michael Brantley.
LHP Cliff Lee.

Also available to pitch:
LHP Jeremy Sowers, RHP Rafael Betancourt, RHP Masa Kobayashi, RHP Matt Herges, RHP Vinnie Chulk, RHP Tomo Ohka, RHP Rich Rundles.

BREWERS:
LF Lorenzo Cain, SS Craig Counsell, CF Mike Cameron, 1B Prince Fielder, 3B Casey McGehee, RF Trot Nixon, C Jonathan Lucroy, DH Mat Gamel, 2B Hernan Iribarren.
RHP Dave Bush.

Also available to pitch:
Omar Aguilar, Lindsay Gulin, Eddie Morlan and Sam Narron.
The longer I live the more I believe. You do have to give if you wanna recieve
There's a time to listen, a time to talk, And you might have to crawl even after you walk
Had sure things blow up in my face, Seen the longshot, win the race
Been knocked down by the slamming door, Picked myself up and came back for more

Life's a dance you learn as you go, Sometimes you lead, sometimes you follow
Don't worry about what you don't know, Life's a dance you learn as you go.
Destiny

Favorite Player: Tribe
Least Favorite Player: Yankees/Red Sox

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:58 pm

Destiny wrote:Also available to pitch:
LHP Jeremy Sowers, RHP Rafael Betancourt, RHP Masa Kobayashi, RHP Matt Herges, RHP Vinnie Chulk, RHP Tomo Ohka, RHP Rich Rundles.

Epic loss.
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:26 pm

Lee gives up 2 runs in the 1st.

Dellucci grounds out to 2B on the first pitch he sees.

Hafner watches a curve for strike one, fouls off the next one to go down 0-2...... swings and misses..... K's on 3 pitches. :thud:
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God

Unread postby petes999 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:29 pm

There goes our season ... nothing like starting off on the wrong foot so early in the season ....

Opps ... it's still March ... where's my head.
petes999

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:54 pm

petes999 wrote:There goes our season ... nothing like starting off on the wrong foot so early in the season ....

No, wait, we scored 3 in the bottom of the second, it's the World Series for sure!
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Unread postby Chris » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:14 pm

Same old Hafner.

Cliff's gonna need to be sharper than that.

SKY IS FALLING
Chris

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:12 pm

I have a new Least Favorite Player.
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Unread postby Chris » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:28 pm

Yup, Sowers is garbage.

We all know ST games mean nothing, but some of these guys arent helping their cases. I won't get worked up about Cliff Lee because he had a hit-and-miss Spring last year and won the CY.
Chris

Unread postby justmebd » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:18 pm

I don't get worked up about any pitcher who's proved themselves during the regular season having a bad spring training. These guys could be out there just working on one pitch for all we know.

Hitters are always ready before the pitchers anyway.

If luck is with me, I'll be heading to a game this weekend. Then I can update from the game.

Sample Updates:
Brian: 1:22 pm. Sitting in seat drinking beer, watching Grady Sizemore hit a double.
Brian: 1:46 pm. Munching on Nachos, Delluci just popped out. Getting another beer
Brian: 2:07 pm. Rich Rundles gives up a 3-run shot. I kick the seat in front of me
Brian: 2:13 pm. Rafael Bentencourt gives up a 1st pitch homer. Wife is giving me the stare of death while I invent new curse words.
Brian: 2:39 p.m. Delluci GIDP. I kill the peanut guy out of spite.

So yeah, it's going to be a good time
justmebd

Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Unread postby Chris » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:05 pm

Yeah, no worries on Lee, but sounds to me like Hafner was same old Half.
Chris

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:08 pm

Steve Buffum wrote:

Epic loss.

Well ... um ... Vinnie Chulk was professional.

(This group gave up 15 runs in 8 innings.)
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:21 pm

Steve Buffum wrote:
Steve Buffum wrote:

Epic loss.

Well ... um ... Vinnie Chulk was professional.

(This group gave up 15 runs in 8 innings.)

Hey, at least Looch hit a HR :sillies:
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God

Unread postby consigliere » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:30 pm

Steve Buffum wrote:I have a new Least Favorite Player.

Is there a mandated limit it has to be one player? I have about 5 right now in camp.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:36 pm

Consigliere wrote:
Steve Buffum wrote:I have a new Least Favorite Player.

Is there a mandated limit it has to be one player? I have about 5 right now in camp.

Talk to the software guy.

(Actually, now that I have a box, I see that Betancourt was good. Tomo Ohka, thanks for playing. Matt Herges, we have some lovely parting gifts for you. No Masa, with 3 walks and 4 runs in 1 inning, the word that comes to mind is "sayonara," but only because I don't know the Japanese word for "rancid.")

Peralta went 2-for-3 ... which lowered his batting average.
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Unread postby TitoFrancona » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:04 pm

Chris wrote:Yeah, no worries on Lee, but sounds to me like Hafner was same old Half.

Wow. First 2 at bats in ST and you were able to deterimine how Haf's season is already going to go? Man you are good.

So please tell me why Lee gets a free pass his first game but you hold Haf to a different standard?
TitoFrancona

Favorite Player: Tito Francona
Least Favorite Player: Jim Thome

Unread postby Chris » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:05 pm

TitoFrancona wrote:
Chris wrote:Yeah, no worries on Lee, but sounds to me like Hafner was same old Half.

Wow. First 2 at bats in ST and you were able to deterimine how Haf's season is already going to go? Man you are good.

So please tell me why Lee gets a free pass his first game but you hold Haf to a different standard?

I am? I think you need to read my post again. Here, I bolded it for you. Did Hafner look like "same old Hafner"? Yes, he did. And that's all I said.

BTW Hafner is (was) my favorite Indians player. He's the only Tribe jersey I have, so please dont act like I'm some kind of Hafner hater.

Lee doesn't get a free pass, but as I already said (I hate having to repeat myself, but oh well) I am not worried about him because he won the CY YOUNG after having a mediocre spring.
Chris

Unread postby Toxicadam » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:10 am

Announcers say that Sowers can't get seperation on his pitches.

I disagree, they all suck equally.

Thanks folks, I'll be here all week.
Toxicadam

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:45 pm

Laffey sucks it up today with 3 ER in 1 IP.

Looks to me like nobody wants that #5 spot.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby consigliere » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:09 pm

Skating Tripods wrote:Laffey sucks it up today with 3 ER in 1 IP.

Looks to me like nobody wants that #5 spot.

Unless he is hurt, he's getting it though.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby Chris » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:10 pm

Wow. Our pitchers are getting SHELLED this spring.
Chris

Unread postby MadThinker88 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:26 pm

The ball does tend to travel better in Arizona then in Florida at this time of the year. I wonder if its possible for a year round facility to be in Arizona and ST to be held in Florida. :hide:
MadThinker88
In Tressel We Trust

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:02 am

Chris wrote:Wow. Our pitchers are getting SHELLED this spring.

And Cassel is, too.
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Unread postby nwizzle » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:30 pm

I know it's a bit early to start worrying... but I am. Sowers, Laffey, Jackson, Huff, Lewis... what's going on? Are any of them going to put in a solid outing?
nwizzle

PreviousNext

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB