Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Goleski may be returned

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Goleski may be returned

Unread postby consigliere » Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:35 pm

I did not know about this wrist injury....

Hi Jim, what can you tell me about Ryan Goleski, the kid the A's took in the Rule 5? Does he have a shot at starting in LF this year? And what do you see in his future?

SportsNation Jim Callis: (2:31 PM ET ) He has some power and a pretty good track record in the minors, save for a disappointing 2005. But he has a wrist injury that A's didn't know about until after the Rule 5 draft, and he won't be ready for spring training.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby swerb » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:52 pm

You're slippin T ... ;-) ;) :wink:
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby consigliere » Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:21 pm

LOL....apparantly, this is info the Indians kept secret as the wrist injury was found out about after the A's acquired him.
consigliere

Unread postby ACrank » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:26 pm

Aha - there is method to Shapiro's madness....

or madness to his method....

of course i didn't think the A's would keep Goleski anyhow, but if this means the Indians will definately get him back - well good for them...
ACrank
Admitted Apologist

Unread postby consigliere » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:45 pm

I don't think it is a sure thing we get him back, but this news should help.

This injury sounds like it will plague him throughout ST, which will set him back. The A's could DL him, but they are not going to be able to hide them on the DL all year.

My question is, why no mention of this injury? And, how did he get it? And, considering he isn't expected to be ready for ST (2-3 months away), it sounds pretty serious.
consigliere

Unread postby consigliere » Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:43 pm

As some may or may not know, we are in the process of working out an affiliation with a major media partner.....and because of that, some interesting news came my way today firsthand:

The Indians actually DID NOT cover up the Goleski wrist injury. Goleski is the one that covered it up.

Goleski was hit by a pitch in the Eastern League playoffs, and the Indians shut him down and did not send him to the instructional league or winter ball. A few weeks after the season ended, he took some swings in a cage and his wrist basically exploded on him. Torn ligaments and all....which required surgery. Apparently, the Indians didn't even know of the surgery either, or about the wrist exploding on him.

With the injury, he won't be completely healthy when Spring Training opens for Oakland, but should be able to participate in some fashion. The injury, however, opens up the door that Goleski could be 60-day DLed by the A's.

When I got word of this an hour ago, I was completely floored. No one...NO ONE knew of this injury until a few days ago except for Goleski. Amazing, and one hell of a job of covering it up by Ryan.
consigliere

Unread postby consigliere » Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:48 pm

I just spoke to CK for the first time in a few weeks....and apparently there is even more to this story and it has gotten even more complicated. He wouldn't scoop anything, but said a story is expected to go up soon on BA's site.

(what soon is I have no idea, could be later tonight or in a day or so)
consigliere

Unread postby ACrank » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:53 pm

posting.php?mode=reply&t=1163

Goleski had surgery on Nov. 9 performed by the Indians medical staff to remove bone chips from the wrist, and there is now some question as to whether he'll be ready for spring training--now as property of the Athletics.

Based on Major League Baseball guidelines, all 30 clubs are required to turn in injury reports prior to the Rule 5 draft, stating which eligible players already have or were slated to have offseason surgery.

The A's and Indians agree that Goleski was not on that list, and the two sides are examining the situation with a wait-and-see approach.

This isn't good.
ACrank
Admitted Apologist

Unread postby consigliere » Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:31 am

Yeah, the story CK is reporting is slightly different from what I have been told from someone else. Although, I know CK is holding back here in this report. There's a lot being worked out with this injury situation and whether or not the Indians knew about it or not and if they were in the wrong here.....
consigliere

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB