Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Indians sign Fultz and Hernandez

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Indians sign Fultz and Hernandez

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:56 pm

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/player ... ?sport=MLB

Indians signed RHP Roberto Hernandez, who had been with the Mets, to a one-year contract with a club option for 2008.

Reports had him being guaranteed $3.5 million under the terms of the deal. Hernandez had a 3.11 ERA in 63 2/3 innings with the Pirates and Mets last season and was even better in 2005. However, the 42-year-old hasn't pitched in the AL in five years and he had a 4.33 ERA in his final season with the Royals. As things stand now, he's probably the favorite to open the season as Cleveland's closer. However, the team would much prefer to use him as a setup man.

Indians signed LHP Aaron Fultz, who had been with the Phillies, to a one-year contract with a club option for 2008.

The Indians almost surely had this deal done before Friday's arbitration deadline. Fultz, a Type A free agent, wasn't extended an offer of arbitration, so the Indians won't have to give up another draft pick. Fultz's ERA jumped from 2.24 to 4.54 last season, but he still had a nice 62/28 K/BB ratio in 71 1/3 innings. Lefties have hit .240 off him in his career. There hasn't been any word on the cash yet, but we're guessing it's somewhere around $2 million. Since it's just a one-year commitment, it's a pretty good signing.
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby consigliere » Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:20 pm

I like the Hernandez signing.

As for Fultz, I am unsure. He is very effective against lefties, so maybe they signed him as our LOOGY...the Sauerbeck role of 2005. But, I would have rather gone with one of Perez/Sipp for such a role next year.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:32 pm

as much as I am in love with sipp let him throw a pitch in AAA first and get some closer experience too

only has about 3 saves in the minors

like you said Fultz should be a good asset as long as he doesnt face a right handed batter
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby furls » Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:06 pm

I am pleased.
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby swerb » Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:42 pm

Ever since we signed, and subsequently watched Scott Stewart and Jose Jimenez self implode, I've always been a bit more leery about adding bullpen help coming over from the NL. Simply put, the AL is a better hitters league. And the chances are more likely of a setup man going from above average to below average when coming over from the NL.

Clearly, these signings help the bullpen out. Hernandez enjoyed a renaissance of sorts, pitched very well last season, including down the stretch for the Mets after being a late playoff push acquisition.

Still ... it's these signings that bother me more than not going after a Soriano. I would have much rather preferred to see the team go get Justin Speier and Mike Stanton instead of these two.

Looks as if the Indians now will add just two more parts. A reclamation closer (Borowski, Gagne, Dotel) and a backup SS with a slick glove.

If they sign two of Dotel/Gagne/Borowski ... I'll be very happy with what they did with the pen this off-season, and can totally understand why they went this route over giving more $$$ and years to Speier/Stanton/Baez/Walker.

However, given the demand for relief pitching league wide, and the fact that the Indians now have 51 mill in payroll committed for next year without a CC/Pronk extension, I'd be shocked if they landed two more relief pitchers of signifigance.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby ACrank » Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:14 am

If they sign two of Dotel/Gagne/Borowski ... I'll be very happy with what they did with the pen this off-season, and can totally understand why they went this route over giving more $$$ and years to Speier/Stanton/Baez/Walker.

W/ what the Indians did today - signing two of Dotel/Gagne/Borowski (even though a good argument can be made about the merits of doing that) seems a little excessive - i'll take one of them and use the three signings as the foundation blocks for next years pen, building the other players in around it. (At some point you have to give Cabrera another shot, as well as the other young arms coming up - really can't do that if you are signing two more relievers. This way you can work someone like Cabrera in as a 6/7th inning guy instead of immediately dumping him in a set up role.)
ACrank
Admitted Apologist

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB