Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Pavano signs with Indians for 1 year 1.5M

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Pavano signs with Indians for 1 year 1.5M

Unread postby gotribe31 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:19 pm

According to ESPN's Buster Olney, the Indians are in serious discussions with free agent starter Carl Pavano. Pavano will visit Cleveland soon and a deal could be wrapped up quickly. We'll have to see if Pavano can come close to the $2MM guaranteed Mike Hampton received from the Astros.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Re: Indians in "serious" talks with Carl Pavano

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:21 pm

hmmm dunno how I feel

he's better than anyone of the other guys fighting for spots 3-5 in the rotation when healthy
it's low risk

I'd like us to sign Pavano AND Mulder to incentive laden deals
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:24 pm

actually after glossing over his career stats I fear we may have better alternatives within
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby Yinzer Hater » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:28 pm

British_Pharaoh wrote:actually after glossing over his career stats I fear we may have better alternatives within

I agree. We've been down this road before with Jason Johnson who is a lesser talent than Pavano but that's irrelevant taking up innings away from some of the young arms.
Definition,Yinzer : A person who lives in a trailer off government money,drinks iron city beer,has limited intelligence,follows the Steelers, and refuses to accept the fact that their team is actually piss yellow and not gold.
Yinzer Hater

Favorite Player: Shin-Soo Choo
Least Favorite Player: Worthlessberger

Unread postby gotribe31 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:29 pm

Yinzer Hater wrote:
British_Pharaoh wrote:actually after glossing over his career stats I fear we may have better alternatives within

I agree. We've been down this road before with Jason Johnson who is a lesser talent than Pavano but that's irrelevant taking up innings away from some of the young arms.

I think the only way he actually takes innings away from the young arms is if he is healthy and effective. If so, its worth it. If not, then good riddance.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby Stu » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:32 pm

2 good years, a lot of bad. if they only have a few million to sign someone, id rather they sign rocco and cut looch.
Stu

Favorite Player: Eric Wedge
Least Favorite Player: Swerb

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:34 pm

The hell with that. We're better off with in-house options.

Unless we can sign him as an NRI to spring training. Then I'm relatively ok with it.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Yinzer Hater » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:35 pm

Stu wrote:2 good years, a lot of bad. if they only have a few million to sign someone, id rather they sign rocco and cut looch.

I don't disagree with signing him if they get him on the cheap but like you say if they only have a few million its a waste of money when we already have enough young arms.
Definition,Yinzer : A person who lives in a trailer off government money,drinks iron city beer,has limited intelligence,follows the Steelers, and refuses to accept the fact that their team is actually piss yellow and not gold.
Yinzer Hater

Favorite Player: Shin-Soo Choo
Least Favorite Player: Worthlessberger

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:37 pm

Serious:

Pavano has skill, but he should be viewed through the lens of 2004 as gork career year. His K rate is low, hovering around 6 from 2002 to 2004, then dropping even lower with the Yankees. He's generally a groundball pitcher, although he wasn't in 2008 (small sample, coming off many injuries). Years ago I would have argued for him: now, I'm not sure he has the upside of, say Anthony Reyes. I'm not sure I'd give him anything but an NRI, and I doubt he'd take that. Sounds like a Washington National to me.

Flippant:

He'd be the perfect mentor for Adam Miller: whist on Mondays, euchre on Tuesdays, backgammon on Wednesdays ... only a seasoned veteran really knows how to pass that DL time in the most productive way possible.
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Unread postby noles1 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:38 pm

Carl f*cking Pavano...

Jesus...
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby TitoFrancona » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:38 pm

British_Pharaoh wrote:hmmm dunno how I feel

he's better than anyone of the other guys fighting for spots 3-5 in the rotation when healthy
it's low risk

No he's not. He had a career year in 2004 never to pitch well again. He's thrown 145 innings total over the last 4 years. It's nearly impossible that he'll stay healthy even half a season let alone an entire season.

And when healthy, outside of his one career year, he's pretty much Jeremy Sowers.

Hey if it's a minor league deal that's one thing, but if this is a major league deal, forget the money, taking up a spot on the 25 man roster is simply a joke. There's 0 potential for Pavano to contribute anything to this team.
TitoFrancona

Favorite Player: Tito Francona
Least Favorite Player: Jim Thome

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:40 pm

TitoFrancona wrote:
British_Pharaoh wrote:hmmm dunno how I feel

it's low risk

No he's not. He had a career year in 2004 never to pitch well again. He's thrown 145 innings total over the last 4 years. It's nearly impossible that he'll stay healthy even half a season let alone an entire season.

And when healthy, outside of his one career year, he's pretty much Jeremy Sowers.

Hey if it's a minor league deal that's one thing, but if this is a major league deal, forget the money, taking up a spot on the 25 man roster is simply a joke. There's 0 potential for Pavano to contribute anything to this team.

read on please

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby chitowntribephan » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:44 pm

Will be interesting to see who, if any, rebounds among Pavano, Brad Penny, Freddy Garcia, Mark Prior, and Mark Mulder (all the 28-32 years old SPs with significant DL time last year so excluding Pedro, Schilling, Smoltz and such) and if any will be worth their contract. You have to assume that Shapiro has inquired into all of them and, by signing Pavano, determined that he is most worth the cost.

Will also be interesting which one of these pitchers hits the DL first and if they get injured before Milton Bradley does!

BTW, some good lines from the MLBTradeRumors comments section that need to be passed along:

Prediction: Pavano lands on the 60 day DL one week into spring training with a torn vagina.
Posted by: jlemoine | January 06, 2009 at 11:16 AM

Pavano will get injured on the way to cleveland.
Posted by: Mr M.Moss | January 06, 2009 at 11:17 AM

No after contract is signed, he hurts his chest muscules, from laughing out loud so hard that someone is actually signing him.
Posted by: Cyyoung | January 06, 2009 at 11:25 AM
Last edited by chitowntribephan on Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chitowntribephan

Favorite Player: Joe Carter
Least Favorite Player: Rich Yett

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:51 pm

Injury prone, work ethic issues and a reputed asshole. I was only kidding a couple months back when I said he'd be worth a look.

He's still living and earning based on the '03 Series.

For those waiting for me to actually disagree with bringing in a vet over a kid, here you go.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby DrPoove » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:56 pm

"What is understood need not be discussed."
-Loren Adams
DrPoove
Special Guest Referee

Favorite Player: Cleveland
Least Favorite Player: The Inbred

Unread postby Pressrunnr » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:01 pm

Of that group, Pavano's about the last one I'd sign, all things being equal. I agree, anything other than a NRI -- essentially treating the signing like a lottery ticket -- is just a waste, particularly given what else is out there for a little bit more in a buyers' market (a buyers' market that, if history is any guide, won't last.) I guess the real test will be how they spin it -- if it's just treated as a minor, low-risk, high-reward signing, I'm OK with it; if they declare him their fourth or fifth starter and call it an offseason, that would be a major disappointment.
Pressrunnr

Unread postby consigliere » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:05 pm

Not sure I understand this unless they also plan to bring in ANOTHER starter in addition to Pavano. Can't believe he'd get more than an NRI deal, which for a vet is I believe around 900K give or take $100K if he is rostered.

I'd rather take a shot at a Freddy Garcia if we are going this route.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby The Brook » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:19 pm

Hate it.
The Brook
carnitas, math & bucky

Favorite Player: Joe Carter
Least Favorite Player: 97 Marlins roster

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:20 pm

Hey, Tony, is your favorite player really Chicago Cub Jeff Stevens?
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Unread postby fundamentals » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:21 pm

I think Pavano could help this team. He is a risk, but so was Paul Byrd and that worked out fairly well at times for this franchise. Peeker, 1 out of 3. :hide: :nanner:
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

"We had a great time together."
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Unread postby TitoFrancona » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:30 pm

fundamentals wrote:I think Pavano could help this team. He is a risk, but so was Paul Byrd and that worked out fairly well at times for this franchise. Peeker, 1 out of 3. :hide: :nanner:

The risk on signing Byrd isn't even close to the risk they take with Pavano. He's had 2 good years in his career. He hasn't been healthy since 2004.

This is the same guy that always crops up on these forums from time to time when we want to point out how stupid the Yankees are in signing free agents.

The sad thing is that if this is a 900 grand deal, it's still a waste of money since the most you could expect from Pavano is to throw about 30 innings the entire year, and not very well at that.
TitoFrancona

Unread postby G-Strang » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:30 pm

I'd much rather take a shot on Mulder
G-Strang

Favorite Player: Grady/Fausto/A-Cab
Least Favorite Player: Barfield/Marte/Looch

Unread postby consigliere » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:31 pm

Steve Buffum wrote:Hey, Tony, is your favorite player really Chicago Cub Jeff Stevens?

Hey, yeah, gotta update that now....although am afraid to put someone else there in fear they get traded.
;-) ;) :wink:

Talking to Jeff last week we had a laugh about that....he asked me who my new favorite player was gonna be (he has checked our boards from time to time and had seen that).
consigliere

Unread postby TitoFrancona » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:33 pm

Consigliere wrote:
Steve Buffum wrote:Hey, Tony, is your favorite player really Chicago Cub Jeff Stevens?

Hey, yeah, gotta update that now....although am afraid to put someone else there in fear they get traded. ;-) ;) :wink:

Talking to Jeff last week we had a laugh about that....he asked me who my new favorite player was gonna be (he has checked our boards from time to time and had seen that).

Well hell then Tony, put Looch's name up there.
:nanner:
TitoFrancona

Unread postby consigliere » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:35 pm

TitoFrancona wrote:
Consigliere wrote:

Hey, yeah, gotta update that now....although am afraid to put someone else there in fear they get traded. ;-) ;) :wink:

Heh, good idea. I will do that.

(Just no one give me any shit for him being listed as my favorite player, capiche?)
:lmfao:
consigliere

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:39 pm

Tony, how the hell can David Dellucci be your new favorite player? That guy is such a hack, it's pathetic.

Oh I get it. Gutierrez is already gone, right? He was your first choice.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby TCBinaflash » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:44 pm

I'm in serious talks with the lunch I just threw up.
TCBinaflash

Favorite Player: Michael Bourn
Least Favorite Player: Ron Karkovice

Unread postby TitoFrancona » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:57 pm

Consigliere wrote:
TitoFrancona wrote:
Consigliere wrote:

Heh, good idea. I will do that.

(Just no one give me any shit for him being listed as my favorite player, capiche?)
:lmfao:

It's called taking one for the team. You are a true team player.
TitoFrancona

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:59 pm

TCBinaflash wrote:I'm in serious talks with the lunch I just threw up.

That might be the funniest thing I've read in a LONG time...I'm a teacher sitting in the middle of a study hall and just about lost it laughing. The kids are looking at me even more weirdly than usual.
Adverb Harry

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo, Bud Selig

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:01 pm

Not a lot to say about this other than..... meh.

Pavano on a minor league deal is fine. Commit $1m+ on a guy though that you're only hope is that he comes back to mediocrity is just a waste of time.
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God

Favorite Player: Jhonny Peralta
Least Favorite Player: Curt Schilling

Unread postby MTF » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:02 pm

I wonder why they're talking with Pavano, and also why Pavano's agent is leaking the deal to ESPN. Can there really be a second team interested in a dead cat like Pavano? He hasn't been a legitimate pitcher in years.

His agent must be a great salesman, and has somehow convinced the Indians Pavano is healthy enough to pitch. You'd think Shapiro has better things to do than negotiate with this kind of player. Of course, he did sign Brady frickin Anderson so I suppose anything is possible...
MTF

Carl Pavano

Unread postby jonmcq007 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:07 pm

The Cleveland Indians have emerged as a strong candidate to sign free-agent pitcher Carl Pavano, several baseball sources told ESPN.com.

Pavano, 32, is looking to rehabilitate his career after suffering numerous injuries in four seasons with the Yankees. He posted a 9-8 record in 26 starts after signing a four-year, $39.95 million contract with New York in December 2004.

It's believed that Pavano is looking for a contract with a low base salary and incentives based upon his workload. The deal could be similar to Mike Hampton's recent contract with the Houston Astros, which will pay Hampton a guaranteed $2 million and an additional $2 million in potential bonuses.

The Florida Marlins have also been mentioned in speculation as a potential landing spot for Pavano. The Toronto Blue Jays expressed an interest in Pavano earlier this offseason but never followed through.

The Washington Nationals, another potential destination, filled two voids in their rotation this offseason by trading for Scott Olsen and signing free agent Daniel Cabrera. The St. Louis Cardinals, also in the market for a starter, have not expressed interest in Pavano.

Cleveland's rotation currently consists of Cy Young Award winner Cliff Lee and Fausto Carmona in the No. 1 and 2 spots. Jake Westbrook, who underwent elbow reconstruction surgery last June, could be ready to return by the middle of the season.

Aaron Laffey, Anthony Reyes, Jeremy Sowers, Scott Lewis and Zach Jackson are the other pitchers in contention for starting jobs in Cleveland in 2009.

The Indians, who finished third in the AL Central with an 81-81 record, have made a major push to upgrade their bullpen this offseason with the signing of free agent Kerry Wood and the acquisition of setup man Joe Smith in a trade with the New York Mets.

Jerry Crasnick covers Major League Baseball for ESPN.com.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3813706

Thoughts??
jonmcq007

Unread postby hornet84 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:08 pm

I heard Carl has been working out with Keith Foulke. They may be willing to negotiate a buy one get one free deal.
hornet84
Big Mon

Favorite Player: The Big Show
Least Favorite Player: Bud Selig

Re: Carl Pavano

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:12 pm

"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby carnegie44115 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:20 pm

Castro hasn't said anything yet, so I am not going to believe it until then. If they do sign Pavano, ok as long as it is a deal where he gets his Million or whatever he is going to get if he makes the rotation. I would think he would get less than Hampton who got $4 M including incentives, that making 13 starts last year, half of what Pavano made in four. I can't see this going more than $2 M including incentives.
Tribe Fan since 1995!

And...

Remember, fans, Tuesday is Die Hard Night. Free admission for anyone who was actually alive the last time the Indians won the pennant.
carnegie44115

Favorite Player: Travis Hafner
Least Favorite Player: Josh Beckett

Unread postby TCBinaflash » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:22 pm

Adverb Harry wrote:
TCBinaflash wrote:I'm in serious talks with the lunch I just threw up.

That might be the funniest thing I've read in a LONG time...I'm a teacher sitting in the middle of a study hall and just about lost it laughing. The kids are looking at me even more weirdly than usual.

Thank you, I'll be here all season. :heehee:
TCBinaflash

Favorite Player: Michael Bourn
Least Favorite Player: Ron Karkovice

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:22 pm

Looking to revive his career, Carl Pavano may be close to finding a fresh start with the Tribe.
A league source confirmed Tuesday that the right-hander is in "serious" talks with the Indians. "They are the clear frontrunner," the source added.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... Id=rss_mlb
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God

Favorite Player: Jhonny Peralta
Least Favorite Player: Curt Schilling

Unread postby hornet84 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:32 pm

dazindiansfanuk wrote:
Looking to revive his career, Carl Pavano may be close to finding a fresh start with the Tribe.
A league source confirmed Tuesday that the right-hander is in "serious" talks with the Indians. "They are the clear frontrunner," the source added.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... Id=rss_mlb

If we are the frontrunners, does that mean someone else is following us ? If so, I hope we blow a hammy.
hornet84
Big Mon

Unread postby chitownmike » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:37 pm

Mark Shapiro is trying to channel McGiver.
Mike
chitownmike

Unread postby consigliere » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:47 pm

Here is a question, if this is not an NRI deal and he has to be rostered:

1.) Who gets ousted from the roster? Marte? Aubrey? Mujica?

or

2.) Is this in response to a potential trade in the works now or after the deal involving some of that left-handed pitching depth we may have stashed in Buffalo (and maybe Shop in a deal)?
consigliere

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:50 pm

Consigliere wrote:Here is a question, if this is not an NRI deal and he has to be rostered:

I have to think Marte. He has little flexibility and has had enough chances.

2.) Is this in response to a potential trade in the works now or after the deal involving some of that left-handed pitching depth we may have stashed in Buffalo (and maybe Shop in a deal)?

I don't think so. I think it's Shapiro trying to bring in a veteran because he feels obligated to.

If Pavano's depth for Buffalo, why not just re-sign JD Martin and send him to Buffalo?
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby exiledbuckeye » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:56 pm

Skating Tripods wrote:
Consigliere wrote:Here is a question, if this is not an NRI deal and he has to be rostered:

I don't think so. I think it's Shapiro trying to bring in a veteran because he feels obligated to.

If Pavano's depth for Buffalo, why not just re-sign JD Martin and send him to Buffalo?

Didn't JD sign with the Nationals?
exiledbuckeye

Favorite Player: OSU
Least Favorite Player: scUM

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:57 pm

exiledbuckeye wrote:Didn't JD sign with the Nationals?

Yep. That's what I meant. Just keep him for depth.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby hornet84 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:05 pm

Skating Tripods wrote:

I am for sending Pavano to Buffalo :nanner:
hornet84
Big Mon

Unread postby exiledbuckeye » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:05 pm

Skating Tripods wrote:

Gotcha. My reading comprehension has been off all day. I need coffee.
exiledbuckeye

Favorite Player: OSU
Least Favorite Player: scUM

Unread postby carnegie44115 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:12 pm

Wouldn't it just be better to let Ohka have the same chance as Pavano?
Tribe Fan since 1995!

And...

Remember, fans, Tuesday is Die Hard Night. Free admission for anyone who was actually alive the last time the Indians won the pennant.
carnegie44115

Favorite Player: Travis Hafner
Least Favorite Player: Josh Beckett

Unread postby Wahoot » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:24 pm

"Cut that shit out, you f&$^ing Kansas City Royal!"
Wahoot

Unread postby Jennifer » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:29 pm

hornet84 wrote:If we are the frontrunners, does that mean someone else is following us ? If so, I hope we blow a hammy.
How gross. You want not to have a sexual relationship with that broadcaster - Tom Hamilton? Thank you for sharing -- not.
I never learn anything if everyone always agrees with me.
Jennifer

Unread postby consigliere » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:30 pm

Skating Tripods wrote:

Because Martin was a FA and didn't want to be depth....he wanted a legit ML shot. ;-) ;) :wink:
consigliere

Unread postby Mr. X » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:34 pm

Wahoot wrote:Done deal, apparently.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3813706

Drennan just announced it as well
Mr. X

Favorite Player: Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Papelbon