Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Indians trade Stevens and others for Mark DeRosa

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Re: Indians trade Stevens and others for Mark DeRosa

Unread postby Jennifer » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:51 pm

Start with the fielding quality that comes with DeRosa's versatility - in particular how well he plays the corner outfield spots and third base when not manning second. He was an upgrade over the starters in some of those cases, including playing an exceptional third base, where Cleveland will use him.
(Emphasis added)

http://blogs.suntimes.com/cubs/2008/12/ ... issed.html
I never learn anything if everyone always agrees with me.
Jennifer

Unread postby Jennifer » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:36 pm

"I'm excited about playing third," he said. "I've always felt more confident on the left side of the infield. Making the switch to second base, learning how to make the pivot and where to be on different bunt plays, was always difficult for me."

http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index.ss ... by_tr.html
Jennifer

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:28 pm

Stu wrote:DeRosa's best position: 2nd

I disagree. For him, his best position is in the sack with that wife of his.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Exit_Stage_Left » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:58 pm

Do you honestly think the guy would gripe about playing third base, even if he wanted to play second? Overall, I love the trade and think that DeRosa was just as big a signing as Wood. I like to bash Shapiro, but he has showed that he is willing to go out and improve the team if the right opportunity presents itself. I look forward to seeing a younger more patient and defensively superior Casey Blake take the field in 09, no matter what position he plays at.

You have to figure that it doesn't matter where they play...

If we are average at 3B fine
We will be superior offensively at SS
And we will be great defensively at 2B

This also leaves the option open for Wes Hodges at 3rd, and Valubuena at 2nd without making Jhonny swip swap positions....This has been the best off season for us in a long long time.
Exit_Stage_Left

Favorite Player: Fausto Carmona
Least Favorite Player: Gary Sheffield

Unread postby Mcreek » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:55 am

IronMike wrote:Regarding Hodges being inadequate as a third baseman at this stage of his career.

This scenerio might apply.

When the Indians obtained Craig Nettles from the Twins he was awful as a third baseman. Nettles with the help of the coaching staff and pure desire ... fielded 100 ground balls per day over an extended period of time and made himself into not only a good third baseman but later became a Gold Glover with the Yankees.

If Hodges can hit, and he will and has desire he can make himself a good third baseman and that is probably what will happen.

We heard the same thing about Corey Smith throughout his minor league career yet he never improveddespite having an off the charts work ethic according to Chris Kline the former Kinston beat writer. Repetition is the mother of all learning but no gurantee One can apply it.

Nettles and Buddy Bell were young kids, Wes Hodges will turn 25 this year. He is no raw kid like Corey Smith was or farther back Jay Bell whom we gave up on. Hodges made no improvement in the Fall league. He was worse, making 8 errors in 21 games but this FO seems to care more for OPS at a position then the players abilty to catch and throw the ball. The may work in the regular season while you are hammering the other teams 4th and 5th starters but in a playoff series a players defensive shortcomings are magnified and a number one-two starter will shut an offense down as we saw in 1995. Again, a SS/3rdbase combo of Hodges and Peralta will be a disaster defensively and possibly the worst in the game
" No big stars on the team is by design. "We can't afford to have the inefficiencies, even for a great talent. We need to function as efficiently as possible in our clubhouse, and that means guys have to know what it means to be a good teammate. We don't want to waste the energy on dealing with all those distractions. Besides, we value character over talent here in Cleveland---Mark Shapiro
Mcreek

Unread postby consigliere » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:22 am

This whole Hodges thing is funny to me. Prior to BA's ranking coming out two months ago his defense was a non-issue...but because they mentioned that he had defensive issues, all of a sudden he is garbage? I mean, last year at this time BA had just tabbed him the best defensive third base prospect in the Carolina League.

In no way am I saying this guy is Brooks Robinson in the making, but what I am saying is he is not the below average or poor defensive 3B as some are making him out to be. It amazes me how so many pile on once the BA report comes out, and not just with fans, but other sites as well.

Bottom line, Hodges still projects as an average defensive 3B. He is hardly a wizard with the glove, but he is also not a complete butcher either. While several people I have talked to with other orgs certainly express concern over his shortcomings defensively, almost all agree he is at worst an average defensive 3B and if he hits like he is capable of the bat will certainly make up for what you lose on defense.

It amazes me how much we latch onto one shortcoming of a player and just destroy him for it and go overboard.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby Stu » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:24 am

Im going to ease back on my statement about the change in positions.

Not because anything anyone said, but because of something I was looking at in my research. Something that made me scratch my head.

Total Attempts over the last 7 years:

2nd: 501, 491, 468, 483, 496, 505, 510 = 3454
SS: 491, 509, 513, 504, 478, 511, 473 = 3479

So if just as many balls get hit to 2nd as SS, then I'm ok with leaving AC at 2nd.
Stu

Favorite Player: Eric Wedge
Least Favorite Player: Swerb

Unread postby Mcreek » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:41 am

From numerous BA reports:

His stock has steadily slipped this spring, and some scouts wonder if he is healthy. He missed a series in May with a calf injury, and his defense had regressed. Hodges has outstanding eye-hand coordination and makes consistent contact. He has shown above-average bat speed in the past, though it wasn't as impressive this season. He doesn't project to hit for considerable power, yet he has a penchant for finding holes and has a good hitter's mentality, with good plate discipline and pitch recognition. He's a below-average runner. He has shown above-average arm strength in the past, but many of his throws lacked carry this spring. Clubs placing an emphasis on his track record could still take Hodges as early as the sandwich round.

While his throws improved, he struggled charging grounders and ranging to his right, and some question whether he can stick at third base.

The Future: Hodges will begin 2008 as the everyday third baseman in Double-A. He's a better defender than Beau Mills, but he needs to stay healthy to be the club's long-term answer at the hot corner.

Johnny from rock n roll high school asks:
Can you expand upton your scouting report for Wes Hodges - more along the lines of what is his ceiling.

A: Chris Kline: I always love expanding upton. Though there are some questions about him remaining at third base, he's got a better chance of doing that than Mills.

Did Wes Hodges have a shot at the top 10 or has his stock fallen a bit.

A: Ben Badler: He was close but ended up on the periphery of the 10. It's questionable whether Hodges will stick at third base, and if he does stick there, he's probably going to be among the worst fielders at his position in the game, probably a -10 to -15 runs guy each year, and it's not like he's getting any younger or more agile. He came into the season in better condition than usual, but if he has to move to first base or if he's that far below average third base, then his value takes a huge hit.

From Hoynes:

Hodges, 24, was the Indians' second round pick out of Georgia Tech in 2006.

Defensively, he's not ready for the big leagues.

"He needs some work," said one scout who saw him in Arizona.

Hodges has made eight errors in 21 games in the AFL. He made 28 errors in 125 games at third base for Akron.

Defense has always been an issue with Hodges as you can see. Teaming him with Peralta only magnifies it even if He somehow develops into a fringe average defensive thirdbaseman. Now if He was teamed with a defensive minded shortstop like a Vizquel or a Cabrera than you can overlook his subpar glove. Once again, I get the idea this FO puts more emphasis on OPS then fielding%. Throughout history pitching, defense up the middle is how you win WS titles.
" No big stars on the team is by design. "We can't afford to have the inefficiencies, even for a great talent. We need to function as efficiently as possible in our clubhouse, and that means guys have to know what it means to be a good teammate. We don't want to waste the energy on dealing with all those distractions. Besides, we value character over talent here in Cleveland---Mark Shapiro
Mcreek

Unread postby Jennifer » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:20 am

Pluto: "Ten things about the Tribe trade..."

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/blog/ind ... wns_2.html
Jennifer

Unread postby Jennifer » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:32 am

For those of you who were hoping to see Jhonny Peralta move from shortstop to third, better luck next time. It probably isn't a good idea, nor is Peralta anxious to make such a switch. Instead, Shapiro landed Mark DeRosa, who played mostly second for the Cubs. Should there be a question about a second baseman suddenly being given the everyday job at third? Of course, but DeRosa seems to have answered it.

''Mark told me that third base feels more natural to him,'' Shapiro said. ''He says he has to work a lot harder at second.''

http://www.ohio.com/sports/indians/37346904.html
Jennifer

Unread postby Jennifer » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:33 pm

Wedge:
On how newly-acquired Mark DeRosa will be used: "He's going to play mostly third base, but he's going to be popping into the outfield in left and right. That leaves third base open for Jamey Carroll against certain lefties. I'm also going to give Jhonny Peralta some reps at third base. He played there this winter and it makes sense to keep that option open."

http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index.ss ... _eric.html
Jennifer

Unread postby tribefaninsouthernoh » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:25 pm

Jennifer wrote:Wedge:
On how newly-acquired Mark DeRosa will be used: "He's going to play mostly third base, but he's going to be popping into the outfield in left and right. That leaves third base open for Jamey Carroll against certain lefties. I'm also going to give Jhonny Peralta some reps at third base. He played there this winter and it makes sense to keep that option open."

http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index.ss ... _eric.html

Smart of Wedge to keep all options on the table. I would definitely like to see JP play some 3rd. :thumb up:
Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying...Pink Floyd
tribefaninsouthernoh

Favorite Player: Grady
Least Favorite Player: G.Sheffield/H Ward

Previous

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB