Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Prospects . . .

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Prospects . . .

Unread postby Big Lu » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:15 am

While I appreciate the well-written articles on the Top 35 Prospects for the Indians, I am really not impressed with hearing about the minor league happenings.

True that maybe some of them do get promoted to the majors but mostly I see other teams chomping at the bit to take them away from us as soon as they have developed into decent players (or they cost too much for the Dolans)!

I'm also not impressed that we are considered #1 in the minor leagues. I would much rather be #1 in the major leagues.

Does anyone think we have a chance to bring home a championship in the near future? Prospecting just seems to be the goal of Shapiro and the Dolans! That's all the FO talks about!

As a former 10-year season ticket holder, I can't see wasting another penny on them. I was glad I got to see the last game at Municipal Stadium and was a part of the record sell out games from day one at Jacobs Field.

:lol:
Big Lu

Unread postby consigliere » Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:16 pm

Well, as Indians fans, this team has always been centered around and will always be centered around prospects. The big-time players mostly come from within or through trades when those players were prospects.

THe Indians did it in the 90s with Belle, Baerga, Lofton, Alomar, Ramirez, Thome, Nagy, Shuey, Colon, Wright, Sexson, Giles, Casey, etc as they were all prospects.

We are doing the same thing now, just have not had much success with FAs to compliment the prospects like we did in the 90s.

And, yes, while these players if they pan out can be taken away when they hit free agency.....you still have them here with the major league team for 6-7 years before that even can happen. Prospects are probably the most vital part of this organization. Always have been.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby Big Lu » Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:23 pm

Prospects are probably the most vital part of this organization. Always have been.

Well, it only worked once with the prospects in the 90s. Dolans need to shell out the money to get "big" name free agents, not lackluster players who are just mediocre.

Vital -- sure but it hasn't worked well for us in years! Like the Browns, we're always "rebuilding." When will we have a finished structure?

Always have been -- sure but how do the Yankees, Red Sox and White Sox do it year after year? Hell I'd rather make the playoffs every year even if we don't win a World Series. At least it would show the fans that the FO is trying to get us over the hump. Right now we are scraping the bottom of the barrel every season!

Just some thoughts of mine!

:lol:
Big Lu

Unread postby consigliere » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:11 pm

Trust me Lu, I know where you are coming from and feel your pain. With the market the way it is today, unfortunately we just can't expect to go out and sign 3-4 bigtime FAs. Plus, most of the time the FAs are just as much a bust as these prospects are.

Everyone has a different take on how the team should be built.....I for one think FA is very over-rated and is the least important way to fix holes and add talent. The most important way for a team in the Indians market it the farm system and making key trades......and then sprinkling in some good complimentary FAs. I know you (and Rich) will totally disagree with me on that....but what's so fun if we all agree on everything.:-)

We all want that elusive championship in this town....and with the Indians they have a nice core of young players and a load of talent on the way.....but like you, I am somewhat concerned with the way they are having some trouble filling the gaps and complimenting their young players with the right vets.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB