Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Manny to Cleveland talks dead

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Manny to Cleveland talks dead

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:07 am

The Red Sox talked with the Indians about Ramirez, but those conversations are dead. The proposals were unworkable from Cleveland's end, because of Ramirez's salary and because of the level of prospects the Indians would have had to have had to surrender.

Ramirez would have been a perfect fit in the middle of the Indians' lineup, batting behind Travis Hafner and giving him the same kind of protection he gave David Ortiz in Boston. And because Ramirez played in Cleveland before, he might have asked for less money to accept the trade.

But for a team that opened last season with a $56 million payroll, Ramirez would've been an incredibly expensive bauble -- and, going forward, the Indians will have to have money available to pay Hafner. One way for them to do that will be to continue to develop and maintain a steady pipeline of prospects, and Ramirez would have cost them some of their best (and cheapest) talent.

Stay tuned; you get the sense that the Red Sox are increasingly comfortable with the idea of moving Ramirez even if they aren't offered a perfect package in return. It may be that the team has just grown weary of Manny Being Manny..

Buster Olney

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/in ... ney_buster
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Brantley // Irving
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:01 pm

white sox a possibility???

i think i'm gonna wretch!

hope manny vetoes it
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Brantley // Irving
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby pup » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:32 pm

If Mark Shapiro, Larry Dolan, or anyone else involved allows the Chicago White Sox to walk into Jacobs Field with Jim Thome and Manny Ramirez next year, I think I might give up 100% on these fucking teams. Browns, Tribe, Cavs. Finished.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby dpdad » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:34 am

The Boston papers are saying the BoSox are near siging J.D. Drew, which would be a prerequisite for Manny to be traded. The Red Sox are deep in trade talks with San Diego, with L.A., Baltimore, the Mets, and the Phillies also mentioned.

If Manny does get traded (and not to the Tribe), I hope at least he goes to the National League. I would also be very pissed to see him at the Jake in yet another uniform not the Indians.
dpdad

Unread postby ACrank » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:57 pm

Pup wrote:If Mark Shapiro, Larry Dolan, or anyone else involved allows the Chicago White Sox to walk into Jacobs Field with Jim Thome and Manny Ramirez next year, I think I might give up 100% on these fucking teams. Browns, Tribe, Cavs. Finished.

Oh well.

PS. The WhiteSox have been rumored to be getting Omar Vizquel/Jason Schmidt, Alfonso Soriano, and ARod. Frankly not that concerned about a rumor that they might get Ramirez.
ACrank
Admitted Apologist

Unread postby pup » Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:38 pm

Oh well.

I don't really get this? It definitely was not a statement for your approval.

PS. The WhiteSox have been rumored to be getting Omar Vizquel/Jason Schmidt, Alfonso Soriano, and ARod. Frankly not that concerned about a rumor that they might get Ramirez.

I don't think anyone was saying it was a sure thing because it was rumored.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby ACrank » Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:28 am

If i am to understand you, you would want the Indians to get Manny just so the WhiteSox don't get him? Overlooking the fact that we aren't the Boston RedSox who can affoard to try and get players just so the Yankees don't get that player, personally i would rather see the Manny who quit on the RedSox last year go to the WhiteSox.

But if something as inconsequential as this is going to mean you will stop being an Indians fan - well, was nice knowing you. Don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out.
ACrank
Admitted Apologist

Unread postby pup » Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:04 am

If i am to understand you, you would want the Indians to get Manny just so the WhiteSox don't get him?

Boy, for as intelligent as you feel you are, after all this time you still don't understand my point. WE NEED A RIGHT HANDED POWER HITTING OUTFIELDER! If you want to go into this season with Garko as our 4 hitter, we are in trouble.

If Chicago was to land Manny, that would mean that not only did we not get that right handed power hitter, a team in our division adds one, AGAIN.

But if something as inconsequential as this

If division rivals, that are already finishing ahead of us, improve themselves while we sit back and do nothing is inconsequential, then please hook a brother up with whatever it is you are using.

I know you come from the Wedgie School of Good Character Guys. Unfortunately, sometimes there are not all good character guys to fill every hole and you might have to take in a bad seed. That is where you need to have a strong manager and good leadership from the other guys to handle someone like Manny.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby consigliere » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:04 am

According to DWags, the Manny rumor is hardly dead. Indians are still interested.....and the issue is not the salary for this year. Apparently, one hold up with the Indians (and other teams) is Manny wants his $20M+ options picked up.

But, the Indians are supposedly balking because according to Triv the Red Sox want Sowers and two of Miller, Crowe, Carmona and Choo for Manny. No fing way.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby ACrank » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:57 pm

Pup wrote:
If i am to understand you, you would want the Indians to get Manny just so the WhiteSox don't get him?

Boy, for as intelligent as you feel you are, after all this time you still don't understand my point. WE NEED A RIGHT HANDED POWER HITTING OUTFIELDER!

Here is where we disagree.

1) not that convinced "we" need a RH power hitting OF.

2) definately not convinced "we" need that particular RH OF.

If you want to go into this season with Garko as our 4 hitter, we are in trouble.

How about the #5 hitter? Somehow between he, Peralta, and Marte that extra RH bat is going to emerge.

f Chicago was to land Manny, that would mean that not only did we not get that right handed power hitter, a team in our division adds one, AGAIN.

i'm actually hoping the WhiteSox land the Manny who played for, and quit on, Boston last year - because its going to cost them a lot in players, and a lot more in money.

f division rivals, that are already finishing ahead of us, improve themselves while we sit back and do nothing is inconsequential, then please hook a brother up with whatever it is you are using.

I know you come from the Wedgie School of Good Character Guys. Unfortunately, sometimes there are not all good character guys to fill every hole and you might have to take in a bad seed.

If the bad seed plays, i could care less. If the bad seed sits out six weeks with a "knee injury" then i'm going to have a problem, especially if that bad seed costs two of our top young players and a ton of money in the process.

That is where you
need to have a strong manager and good leadership from the other guys to handle someone like Manny.

You mean like Boston? Oops. Nevermind.

Sorry, but i really don't want the Indians to get Manny.
ACrank
Admitted Apologist

Unread postby pup » Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:16 am

Here is where we disagree.

1) not that convinced "we" need a RH power hitting OF.

2) definately not convinced "we" need that particular RH OF.

Well, if there is another RH avaiable, will cost less than Manny, and give us solid production, I am all for it.

How about the #5 hitter? Somehow between he, Peralta, and Marte that extra RH bat is going to emerge

Promise?

You mean like Boston? Oops. Nevermind

Francona? The rest of the Red Sox went into full tank mode after losing the 5 game set to the Yankees, Manny just went along for the ride.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby ACrank » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:07 pm

If Manny just "went along for the ride" (which i doubt) that doesn't make getting him worth it.

Sorry, but i don't want Manny regardless of the cost.

Let the Whitesox get him and let them deal with "Manny being Manny" for a while.
ACrank
Admitted Apologist

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB