Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Indians going after Manny?

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Indians going after Manny?

Unread postby consigliere » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:43 pm

Triv is all over the radio tonight talking about how the Indians are in serious discussions and trying to get Manny. Now, Triv is a blowhard and takes out of his you know what a lot.....but he is in tight with the Tribe on a lot of things.

Plus, going after Manny is not far-fetched at all, especially considering how close the Indians came to getting Sheffield.

That said....

The money question is, "what do the Red Sox want?" I read an article in the Boston Herald or Globe a few days ago when they basically stated Manny will be traded. But, they said the Red Sox will not eat any money and won't have to since there will be demand for Manny. I don't foresee this being a problem for the Indians, as 2 years at $17M or so per won't kill them longterm.

But, what may be a problem is what the Red Sox expect in return. The article I read said the Red Sox hope to address a few holes on their team for 2007.....doesn't sound a like a prospects deal to me. They want bullpen help, which we can't offer....and also want a SS....which means we'd likely have to part with Peralta to get Manny.

Manny is intriguing, and would be a much needed shot in the arm to the org with this fanbase so focused on signing or obtaining a marque player....but I fear what we'll have to give up.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:21 pm

Triv = darts player

the guy hates Omar and thinks he's a no talent bum

any opinion or (inside) info he may have on the Indians bears no credibility whatsoever
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Chris Perez

Re: Indians going after Manny?

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:23 pm

Consigliere wrote:Triv is all over the radio tonight talking about how the Indians are in serious discussions and trying to get Manny. Now, Triv is a blowhard and takes out of his you know what a lot.....but he is in tight with the Tribe on a lot of things.

Plus, going after Manny is not far-fetched at all, especially considering how close the Indians came to getting Sheffield.

That said....

The money question is, "what do the Red Sox want?" I read an article in the Boston Herald or Globe a few days ago when they basically stated Manny will be traded. But, they said the Red Sox will not eat any money and won't have to since there will be demand for Manny. I don't foresee this being a problem for the Indians, as 2 years at $17M or so per won't kill them longterm.

But, what may be a problem is what the Red Sox expect in return. The article I read said the Red Sox hope to address a few holes on their team for 2007.....doesn't sound a like a prospects deal to me. They want bullpen help, which we can't offer....and also want a SS....which means we'd likely have to part with Peralta to get Manny.

Manny is intriguing, and would be a much needed shot in the arm to the org with this fanbase so focused on signing or obtaining a marque player....but I fear what we'll have to give up.

if the fat git is telling any truth then if a deal was to happen we can say adios to JW for a start, probably Garko too
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby dpdad » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:02 pm

I would love to see Manny come back. Can you imagine the numbers Pronk would put up with Manny hitting behind him? Dolan could improve his credibility with the fans a great deal with a Manny trade, and fan interest (and ticket sales) next year would take a big jump. Oh, and Manny can still hit pretty well too.
dpdad

Unread postby consigliere » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:52 pm

Actually, I was thinking of a Westbrook, Betancourt and a prospect for Manny. THe prospect possibly being a Garko or Carmona, or maybe even Blake (The Red Sox supposedly called on him last year). I'd hedge on Garko being included....but would certainly consider a Westbrook, Carmona and Betancourt/Blake deal.
consigliere

Unread postby consigliere » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:35 am

Sort of related to the Manny thread:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?id=2669360

And, I completely agree. We are going to see a ridiculous amount of trades at the Winter Meetings in a little less than two weeks. So don't write off the Indians offseason yet.
consigliere

Unread postby pup » Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:42 am

So it is OK to pay Manny $17 mil, but Soriano for $18 is ludicrous? Why not up the ante for Carlos Lee and not have to give up 3 pretty good ball players?
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:53 am

Consigliere wrote:Actually, I was thinking of a Westbrook, Betancourt and a prospect for Manny. THe prospect possibly being a Garko or Carmona, or maybe even Blake (The Red Sox supposedly called on him last year). I'd hedge on Garko being included....but would certainly consider a Westbrook, Carmona and Betancourt/Blake deal.

betancourt is the only 100% reliable reliever in the org at the moment

he shouldnt be going anywhere

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:53 am

Pup wrote:So it is OK to pay Manny $17 mil, but Soriano for $18 is ludicrous? Why not up the ante for Carlos Lee and not have to give up 3 pretty good ball players?

but the $17m for Manny would be over 2 yesr not 8

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby pup » Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:16 am

Yes, I know. No difference to me. The way baseball is going, you might be HAPPY in 4 years to have a Soraino wrapped up for "only" $18,000,000. In 6, you may begin to worry. It could go either way.

Here is the break down of the board so far:
1. Can't trade for Sheff. Why give up players and cash, when you can sign roughly the same player (Alou) without losing any players?
2. Can't sign Soriano, he will cost too much money
3. Go ahead and trade for Manny, and give him the same amount of $$$$ as Soriano would make.

The only thing left, after we don't pull the trigger and Manny goes to the White Sox, is "Well, Manny did not want to come here because it is cold and the taxes are high."

And Danny...please go to your profile and check the "Always allow BBC code" to yes. It should enable your quotes to show up correctly.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:22 am

Pup wrote:

Yes, I know. No difference to me. The way baseball is going, you might be HAPPY in 4 years to have a Soraino wrapped up for "only" $18,000,000. In 6, you may begin to worry. It could go either way.

Here is the break down of the board so far:
1. Can't trade for Sheff. Why give up players and cash, when you can sign roughly the same player (Alou) without losing any players?
2. Can't sign Soriano, he will cost too much money
3. Go ahead and trade for Manny, and give him the same amount of $$$$ as Soriano would make.

The only thing left, after we don't pull the trigger and Manny goes to the White Sox, is "Well, Manny did not want to come here because it is cold and the taxes are high."

And Danny...please go to your profile and check the "Always allow BBC code" to yes. It should enable your quotes to show up correctly.

it is on yes

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby pup » Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:24 am

it is on yes

mmmmmmm. Dick can you look at why his quote function does not work right?

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby swerb » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:28 am

Danny, for some reason ... when you hit the "quote" tab on someone elses post and quote the persons entire post, it comes out goofy.

Instead, cut and paste the text you want to quote, then highlight it in your new post and hit the "quote" button there.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby ACrank » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:34 am

Read this article and tell me how nice it would be to have Manny back.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/r ... ny/?page=1

Manny quit on the Sox last year. Do we want to run the risk of him quitting on the Indians this year?
ACrank
Admitted Apologist

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:52 am

but he wants to be in Cleveland

even a year after he signed that deal with boston he told Hart he made a mistake leaving Cleveland

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby ACrank » Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:48 pm

So?

He quit on his teammates. Whats to stop him from doing it again?
ACrank
Admitted Apologist

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB