Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Texas series

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Texas series

Unread postby Prosecutor » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:45 am

The Tribe attempts to keep their roll going as they head into Texas for four games. Game 1 will be a challenge with Yu Darvish on the hill for the Rangers. Darvish has allowed four earned runs in his last four starts while striking out 41. Trevor Bauer gets the unfortunate assignment tonight.

However, the Rangers' starters for the last three games have a combined record of 3-4, so the Tribe has a decent chance to split. They got lucky in that Ogando just went on the DL. Prince Fielder is done for the year.

Santana is back off the DL for the Tribe.

Texas ranks 7th in runs (Indians are 5th) and 14th in team ERA (Indians are 6th). They're 13th in fielding with 42 errors, while the Indians are last with 56.

The Rangers' starters have good ERA's, but their bullpen has been awful. If the Tribe can run up those pitch counts and get to the bullpen early they should be in good shape.

They also need to continue making the routine plays. 37 consecutve innings with no errors. Keep it going, boys.

A titanic matchup of two 30-30 teams. Choo is having a great year for the Rangers. We'll finally see the players involved in the Choo-Bauer trade go up against each other.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Re: Texas series

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:23 pm

ACab doing work.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:50 pm

ataboy-ohshit-ataboy

Quite the scoring sequence there. I'm glad Bauer wasn't a lazy ass off the mound on the WP
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby bookelly » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:51 pm

TWo incredible defensive plays by Gomes. One to jump up and snag an errant Brantley throw and the carom off the wild pitch that saves a certain run.

Bauer beat Choo to the plate. I have to think that ankle is bother Choo more than he is letting on.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby OldDawg » Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:51 am

A couple of post game-1 comments.

Game of inches: 2 bang-bang plays at plate, we lose by two. A lower Brantley throw, and we get the first one.

Had to get to Darvish.

A) Pitch count: The telecast showed a graphic where 7 or 8 Texas pitchers were on the DL and how Texas had to reach deep into the minors to fill out their staff. We got Darvish's pitch count pretty high early in the game and then had like an 7 or 8 pitch inning. That hurt. Needed to get his count up and get to bullpen as soon as possible.

B) Opportunity: After we came from behind to tie game 4-4, we had two on and no outs. Aviles fouls off first bunt attempt. And then watches a fastball strike 2 with no bunt attempt. And then strikes out looking. Then Bourne strikes out looking. Then a grounder to the pitcher to end the inning. Personally, besides big-time power hitters, I don't understand how any MLB baseball player can't put a sacrifice bunt down. I don't mean bunt for a single, I mean sacrifice out.

When you're facing an Ace, you can't let him off the hook like this. We had gotten to by putting 4 runs on the board, but failed on other opportunities.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby Prosecutor » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:02 am

Well, getting a bunt down against Darvish is not easy, and besides, the 3rd and 1st basemen were charging while the SS was covering third, so even if the bunt goes down it's likely the runner is forced at third. I would have had Aviles swinging with the corners charging the plate and the middle infielders covering 1st and 3rd. Just about any ground ball goes through.

This game could have been won but Bauer let it get away in the 2nd. It looked like he was throwing almost nothing but fastballs, trying to "establish" his fastball. The Rangers picked up on it and started lining base hits. When Odor came up he was clearly sitting on a fastball, got one right down the middle on the first pitch, and drilled it into the upper deck for a two-run homer. This is the #9 hitter who has one HR so far this season.

The next batter got three straight breaking pitches and struck out. Bauer then started mixing his pitches and allowed no more runs, but he was one batter too late.

He lost the game by coming out throwing all fastballs, and the Rangers took advantage. Maybe next time he'll start mixing up his pitches earlier.

The bad pitch to Odor and the high throw by Brantley cost us three runs, and that was the ballgame.

But there are three more to play, and Texas is 22-28 when anybody besides Darvish is pitching. However, the Tribe is 9-20 on the road; worst in baseball. The stoppable force meets the movable object.

Anybody notice that Chisenhall is pulling the ball more and hitting for more power now that he's been moved up to 5th in the order? I expect his batting average to go down. His first at-bat he got a fastball away and grounded out to 2nd base.

The Tribe finally made an error after 47 clean innings, but it didn't allow a run to score. Let's get another errorless streak going.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby 1Perry » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:27 am

Bauer had a better game score than Darvish.
1Perry
The Shapiro of Posters

Unread postby Am I Here Again? » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:42 pm

I don't remember Tomlin being this good before his Tommy John surgery. Was he? Or did he get a bionic elbow?

8+ innings, 105-72 on his pitching ratio, no walks and NO home runs, and gave up only 3 runs total. I'd take that from any of our pitchers any day of the week.
I've tried 'em all, I really have, and the only church that truly feeds the soul, day in, day out, is the Church of Baseball.~~~Annie Savoy-"Bull Durham"
Am I Here Again?
Tribe-a-Holic

Favorite Player: Sam McDowell
Least Favorite Player: Any Red Sox or Yank

Unread postby OldDawg » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:07 pm

Prosecutor wrote:Well, getting a bunt down against Darvish is not easy

I'm sure that's true. But if you're trying to bunt, you don't stare at / not offer at a fastball strike for strike two. You bunt that one. And then you don't stare at strike 3 as well. You have to move runners.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Unread postby Prosecutor » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:40 pm

Am I Here Again? wrote:I don't remember Tomlin being this good before his Tommy John surgery. Was he? Or did he get a bionic elbow?

8+ innings, 105-72 on his pitching ratio, no walks and NO home runs, and gave up only 3 runs total. I'd take that from any of our pitchers any day of the week.

Looks like he did get that bionic elbow. Prior to TJ surgery he averaged 4.95 K's per 9 innings. This year he's averaging 8.35 K's per 9, an increase of 69%.

That's amazing.

I say Josh stays in the rotation the rest of the season.

Nice win by the Tribe, which has the worst road record in baseball. Great start by Tomlin, and everybody but Asdrubal got at least one hit. Tribe how has won 7 of 8 with the one loss coming on the road in a game started by Yu Darvish. I'll take that any week of the year.

Great to see Santana swinging the bat with authority. Two walks, a line drive single, and a home run. If he finally gets going - look out. Murphy was 3-for-4 with a sac fly and a 400 foot out. Hope he can keep it up for two more games on his former home field.

The defense continues to be solid. Not spectacular, but I'm sure we'll all be thrilled with solid at this point. I don't think it's an accident that as soon as the Indians stopped making errors they started winning.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:15 pm

That was an expensive wild pitch by Masterson. Clean out of the other batter's box.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:05 pm

Defense getting better....wins go up.....hmmm
Alex White: Just like School on Sunday......No Class.
Dnthateonthepronk

Favorite Player: Dan Marino
Least Favorite Player: Alex Rodriguez

Unread postby Prosecutor » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:12 pm

A 3-2 win today with no errors. Nice. However, one Texas run did score on a wild pitch, which is a form of error, but they gave us one back.

Lonnie with two more hits off left-handed pitching. Sweet.

Raburn finally does something to contribute with a huge RBI single, off a right-handed pitcher brought in just to get him out, no less. Maybe that hit will finally get him going.

Great job by the bullpen, especially Shaw, who went through the heart of the Rangers order in the 8th and kept them from tying or taking the lead.

Asdrubal is playing well both offensively and defensively as the weather warms up. Kipnis is starting to come around, too.

Masterson seems to be settling in for a good season after some initial rocky outings. The velocity isn't back, but when he locates his pitches he's very effective.

Let's win tomorrow and actually win a series on the road. We're lucky the Rangers are so injury depleted.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:59 am

Aside from the one pitch he airmailed, Allen was nasty. Shaw still scares me a little, he misses up way too much.

BIG CS by Gomes/Kipnis.

It would be nice to roll into KC on a hot streak, need this one tonight.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby Prosecutor » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:17 am

Rookie right-hander Nick Martinez going for the Rangers tonight. As a starter he has a 4.09 ERA and opposing batters are hitting .308. He only has 12 K's in 33 innings. Let's get on this guy. Taking 3 of 4 on the road, even against a mediocre, injury-ravaged team, would be a huge positive at this point.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby googleeph2 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:01 am

Really liking the Indians’ back end relief situation. I know they have been overworked, but I don’t really blame Francona. There was a stretch where the starters weren’t pitching enough innings, for example. Francona is managing to win. I have no problem with that. You hope it works out over the season. In the meantime, you gotta win games.

We (I) get impatient with Francona sticking with position players too long; he seems much more nimble with the pitching staff.

He was talking recently about getting Axford back in the closer role. I think he’ll really need to earn it this time- I don’t expect him to do that, but if he does, fine- he’ll pitch in situations he’ll have shown he can handle. And how nice it is to have the strike-throwing Allen as closer- and by not calling him that, there is the flexibility to use him before the 9th if needed to shut down a threat.
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby 1Perry » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:57 pm

Prosecutor wrote:Rookie right-hander Nick Martinez going for the Rangers tonight. As a starter he has a 4.09 ERA and opposing batters are hitting .308. He only has 12 K's in 33 innings. Let's get on this guy. Taking 3 of 4 on the road, even against a mediocre, injury-ravaged team, would be a huge positive at this point.

Kinda went better for the Indians than one might have even hoped for.
1Perry
The Shapiro of Posters

Unread postby bookelly » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:06 pm

Chiz isn't playing like an all-star...he's playing like an MVP.

bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Unread postby 1Perry » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:23 pm

Hopefully 9 runs is enough.
1Perry
The Shapiro of Posters

Unread postby bookelly » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:36 pm

Holy crap is Chiz white hot or what?

bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Unread postby bookelly » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:16 pm

Wow Chiz. Wow.

bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Unread postby bookelly » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:00 pm

Holy shit Chiz.

bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Unread postby coachMueller » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:00 pm

3 homers! Chiz is en fuego!
coachMueller

Favorite Player: Mickey Callaway
Least Favorite Player: John Elway

Unread postby jlwpsu82 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:08 pm

I wanna know what happened to the resident board expert skatingtripods? He of the irrational Lonnie Chisenhall hatred. Still wanted to let him know there's still a bit of room on the back of the buckboard.
jlwpsu82

Unread postby Am I Here Again? » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:15 pm

bookelly wrote:Holy crap is Chiz white hot or what?

Meh. He's good, but it's not like he hit for the cycle or anything. ;-) ;) :wink:
I've tried 'em all, I really have, and the only church that truly feeds the soul, day in, day out, is the Church of Baseball.~~~Annie Savoy-"Bull Durham"
Am I Here Again?
Tribe-a-Holic

Favorite Player: Sam McDowell
Least Favorite Player: Any Red Sox or Yank

Unread postby bookelly » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:16 pm

Don't criticize the 3Pods. He's forgotten more baseball than these entire boards will ever know.

bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Unread postby Prosecutor » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:30 pm

Chiz with the first 3 HR/9 RBI game in Indians history, and that goes back something like 113 years. Wow!

15 total bases. Amazing. And Brantley goes 3-for-3 and scores five runs and it gets lost.

OTOH, Giambi went 0-for-5 with three K's against two really bad pitchers that gave up 17 hits and 17 runs between them. He looks like he's toast. It's not like he's making loud outs hitting into the shift. His average is down to .140 and the Rangers pitchers completely dominated him.

Great offensive game but it came against a rookie who pitched in A ball last year and the long man. Still, fun to watch. Underwood and Manning sure had a great time announcing it.

House had an easy win - all he had to do was make it through five innings. But he didn't have his command and got beat up. Tito went with him longer than I would have.

So it's 9 out of 10 and the Indians are the hottest team in baseball. The Tigers lost and we're two games out.

Wow.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby bookelly » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:49 pm

15 total bases by Chiz tonight. Amazing. Most guys are happy with 15 bases in a week!

bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Unread postby 1Perry » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:07 am

Santana is only slightly less lost than Giambi.
1Perry
The Shapiro of Posters

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:44 am

He can keep Lonnie Baseball one more night.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby OldDawg » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:40 am

bookelly wrote:15 total bases by Chiz tonight. Amazing. Most guys are happy with 15 bases in a week!

Lonnie's slugging percentage on the night: 3.000

Oh, and Kottaras's slugging percentage for the season: 1.625
OldDawg

Unread postby ASPDawgpound12 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:55 am

1Perry wrote:Santana is only slightly less lost than Giambi.

Does Lonnie's night make Santana the 'Chiz mopper' now? Swish the 'Chiz bucket'?

Glad he's finally come around and crushing the ball.. now to keep him on the field not booting balls around....
ASPDawgpound12

Favorite Player: Tyrone Hill
Least Favorite Player: DA

Unread postby hebner20 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:42 pm

bookelly wrote:Don't criticize the 3Pods. He's forgotten more baseball than these entire boards will ever know.

I miss tripods, but I think he has moved on. I guess he knows a lot of baseball and is smarter than us who are still here as this site is doing its best imitation of a slow motion train wreck.
hebner20

Favorite Player: shoeless joe
Least Favorite Player: Barry Bonds

Unread postby Prosecutor » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:41 pm

If you think this train is crashing, the smart thing would be to jump off, right?
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB