Text Size

The Back Of The Net

Zips move into the NCAA top five

Talk Cleveland City Stars, World Cup, MLS, and all other forms of pro soccer here in TheClevelandFan's newest forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Spin

Zips move into the NCAA top five

Unread postby Spin » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:08 pm

With their win against #3 Notre Dame and tying #5 Indiana on the road, the Zips won the adidas/IU Credit Union Classic, jumping seven spots to #5 in the NSCAA/adidas national poll. They rank No. 7 by both Top Drawer Soccer and Soccer America, while the College Soccer News listed UA at No.13.

The Zips hhave the best record in the country over the past five years.

Ohio State sits in 10 in the poll.

Akron takes on West Virginia Friday night at 7:30. Cincinnati and Wisconsin-Green Bay play the early game (5:00).
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Re: Zips move into the NCAA top five

Unread postby Spin » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:10 pm

I finally got to my first college soccer game tonight, it was a very fun atmosphere. Very unlike any of the pro games I've seen in person.

Being right on campus, the student section that rivals the football and basketball games, being so close to the field, it was fun. The tradition there (20 NCAA tourneys, 3 of the last 4 years). A top five team, ranked anywhere between #3 and #5 in Division 1.

They played backups in the second half and still pummelled Wright State 8-0.

They do need the new soccer stadium, I was skeptical until seeing the crowd there tonight. I would guess the attendance was 1200, on a Wednesday night against a non-conference lower level opponent.

It definately won't be my last trip to Lee Jackson Field.
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Return to The Back Of The Net