Text Size

The Back Of The Net

World Cup Draw

Talk Cleveland City Stars, World Cup, MLS, and all other forms of pro soccer here in TheClevelandFan's newest forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Spin

World Cup Draw

Unread postby Squints » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:43 pm

We have said that th US's chances of advancing out of the group stage depends on the draw- well they are screwed. Germany, Portugal and Ghana. Not looking good at all. Juergen vs Germany a good story and we will see the world's best player when hey play Portugal. They play well as the underdog and they have done well since last spring but this draw blows.. It is seven months away and a lot can happen but not very optimistic right now.
Squints

Favorite Player: Howard, Tim
Least Favorite Player: Howard, Desmond

Re: World Cup Draw

Unread postby Spin » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:58 pm

Fuck...
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby Govbarney » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:10 pm

Well this is a gigantic bummer. If they don't finish dead last in this group it will be a major accomplishment.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:46 pm

Yeah, I'm far from an expert but that looks like an awfully tough draw. Not a pushover among them.

However, Ghana is a good side but if the US can't beat a team of that caliber they probably don't deserve to advance. And side from Ronaldo, Portugal isn't what they once were. At least that's what I've heard.

Germany is Germany, but I think second in the group is not unobtainable.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:40 pm

England look like they will be three and out as well. Shame, because if we make it out of that group then the round of 16 would look very favourable for us.
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:47 pm

motherscratcher wrote:Yeah, I'm far from an expert but that looks like an awfully tough draw. Not a pushover among them.

However, Ghana is a good side but if the US can't beat a team of that caliber they probably don't deserve to advance. And side from Ronaldo, Portugal isn't what they once were. At least that's what I've heard.

Germany is Germany, but I think second in the group is not unobtainable.

I would agree that Portugal aren't that much without Ronaldo. But he has shown countless times that he can beat 11 men on his own. (He alone won Portugal qualification for the World Cup in the playoff).

I think the USA can get a result there. Ghana on the other hand, a team ranked 24th in the world, are a very dangerous side (like nearly all African qualifiers). They have some classy players who can bite you in the ass: Boateng, Essien, Gyan, the Ayew brothers, Asamoah, Muntari. Their midfield really does have a sting.

I think USA needs to hope for 4 points against these two teams and then cross their fingers.
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby Squints » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:43 pm

Usually there is one group of death, but England's group looks equally as tough, BP. Looking forward to Enlgand/Italy. Spain's group (with the exception of Australia) looks tough as well.

After the knee jerk, I still think the US is screwed. But glass half full- need to beat Ghana in the first match, probably by 2+ goals as well. Hope for a draw against Portugal by taking out Ronaldo and dropping back on defense. Hope that Germany crushes Portugal, has 6 points by the third game, relaxes a little and get a draw- 5 points with a good goal differential should get through. A lot of hope involved.

Anyone watch the draw? A very contrived way of sorting out the groups. However, the Brazilian babe's assets made up for any confusion.
Squints

Favorite Player: Howard, Tim
Least Favorite Player: Howard, Desmond

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:08 am

It frustrates me that franc had to qualify via the playoffs but they get possibly the second 'easiest' group (I don't like using that word but I can't think of one that is apposite). Yet, England wins their qualifying group and get that mess of shit. Even Costa Rica are a team you can't bank on getting points against.

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:45 am

British_Pharaoh wrote:It frustrates me that franc had to qualify via the playoffs but they get possibly the second 'easiest' group (I don't like using that word but I can't think of one that is apposite). Yet, England wins their qualifying group and get that mess of shit. Even Costa Rica are a team you can't bank on getting points against.

Same with Mexico. They've been a fucking joke all year and it didn't bite them in the least.

Not gonna cry about the draw, though. You want to advance you need to play well. So play well AND win a couple matches and you're through.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Return to The Back Of The Net