Text Size

The Back Of The Net

Bundesliga

Talk Cleveland City Stars, World Cup, MLS, and all other forms of pro soccer here in TheClevelandFan's newest forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Spin

Bundesliga

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:34 am

I watch Barclay's, UEFA Champions League, La Liga (when the only two teams worth watching are playing) and Serie A (when they're not striking) but was wondering whether FoX Soccer regularly shows the German leagues at all. Anyone know?

Reading about how EPL took the mantle of top league away from Serie A after the latter's scandals and implosions, how La Liga is so ridiculously skewed to Barca and Real that no one else is relevant (yet- Malaga owner has Saudi oil money) but how the German league is filled with excellent technical play and competitive financial situations.

Bundesliga actually receives more spots in Champions League group stage than Serie A which I thought was interesting. Also intersting is despite EPL's dominance they can't hold onto players from South America. Guys like Messi, Fabregas, Iniesta and Chavi grow up wanting to play for Barca or Real and the culture and weather in Spain suits them more than the cold and covert racism in EPL does.

Just getting more and more into this. You realize that any given game in the EPL is watched by >80nmilllion people in 201 countries? That's crazy to me.

Carry on.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Bundesliga

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:45 pm

Racism in the EPL? Racism is far more pronounced in Spain. Whenever an English team travels to Spain for a Champions League game the black players are always racially abused (and of course nothing gets done by FIFA they just 'investigate' the matter) Even the Spanish players in the Premiership are racist towards opposing black players (see Luis Suarez)

Germany and England have the most minimal problems with racist abuse in the stands among the elite leagues.

Fabregas, Xavi and Iniesta are all Spanish not South American so that explains why they grow up wanting to play for Barca.
The reason so many South American players prefer Spain is that there is no language barrier (unless they are Brazilian) the climate and the fact that Spanish football is played at a similar pace and style to that which is played in South America. Latin American stars struggle with the quickness of the Premier League and the more physical nature of the game in England which is why you see Spanish and south american players cheating by rolling on the floor in apparent agony when they trip on a blade of grass (and they hate the fact they can't get away with that sly behaviour in the English league.
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby Squints » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:58 pm

I've converted. I stated following soccer at the international level once the US started qualifying for the world cup, never did the club level until my daughter started playing soccer and has took to it. Gave the EPL a shot and I love it. We watch it on Sat mornings, to me it's a great way to wake up and just chill in the morning. Much more lively crowd than Serie A. I've adopted Tottenham Hotspur- wanted to follow a good team, I'm already born into rooting for enough shitty teams, with a familiar American face (Bay Village's own, Brad Friedel), and not too trendy/bandgwagony like Man U or Arsenel or rooting for a team owned by absentee NFL owners.
Squints

Favorite Player: Howard, Tim
Least Favorite Player: Howard, Desmond

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:48 am

Squints wrote:I've converted. I stated following soccer at the international level once the US started qualifying for the world cup, never did the club level until my daughter started playing soccer and has took to it. Gave the EPL a shot and I love it. We watch it on Sat mornings, to me it's a great way to wake up and just chill in the morning. Much more lively crowd than Serie A. I've adopted Tottenham Hotspur- wanted to follow a good team, I'm already born into rooting for enough shitty teams, with a familiar American face (Bay Village's own, Brad Friedel), and not too trendy/bandgwagony like Man U or Arsenel or rooting for a team owned by absentee NFL owners.

Nice- the skill level is just so ridiculous. I can literally watch that all day. As you inferred, maybe it's because there's not much less scoring than a Browns game, but good God are those guys ridiculous.

Same thing for me and my 11yr old daughter on Saturday mornings. And I haven't adopted a team in the EPL, I just like watching the very best in any sport compete which is why UEFA matches are tremendous. Watching Barcelona and Messi with their clinical style against Man U and their 'vertical passing game' styles is just tremendous.

I get why peple don't get into it. But anyone who does watch it for 6-8 weeks won't quit watching it. That doesn't even speak to how crazy the media is with it. Every damn club over there is covered like the Yankees.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Govbarney » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:18 am

GOL TV Shows a few Bundesliga games every week. Setanta Sports used to , but they are not on American TV any more.

FSC and FSC + no longer show it , guess the contract expired. Its a shame to its arguably the best league in the world right now.

I was stationed in Germany a few years ago and went to a Schalke 04 vs. Hannover game in Hannover, the atmosphere reminded me of a Big tOSU game at the Shoe with lots and lots of very potent beer. In other words it was heaven.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby Squints » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:59 pm

Spurs all over Everton (Tim Howard, Landon Donovan on loan) today, caught the last 25 minutes after work.

Soccer is definetly an acquired taste. Hell, it took me the better part of 20 years to see the athleticism and intricate details of the game and it probably wouldn't of grown if it weren't for my child.

Three things about European soccer I find facinating 1- relegation. How awesome would it be if the Browns were demoted to the UFL and Marty's boys replaced them? At this pint in time, it would be. 2- The FA Cup. Case Western playing Ohio State in a tournament, in Case's gym and the coaches, players from Ohio State caring about the game and the outcome. 3- The Champion's League. I know CONCACAF has the equivalent, but is it really?

Another certainty that I have learned while watching club soccer. The US will never win the World Cup in my life time and I am almost ready to say my kid's lifetime.
Squints

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:06 pm

Squints wrote:Three things about European soccer I find facinating 1- relegation. How awesome would it be if the Browns were demoted to the UFL and Marty's boys replaced them? At this pint in time, it would be.

Tremendous. Some actual incentive to get your shit straight. Even the Swanseas, etc make a load of money by being up. Minor league opertion? Minor league income.

2- The FA Cup. Case Western playing Ohio State in a tournament, in Case's gym and the coaches, players from Ohio State caring about the game and the outcome. 3- The Champion's League. I know CONCACAF has the equivalent, but is it really?

No. I can't watch shitty soccer and I think MLS and CONCACAF are shitty, 2nd rate soccer. I'll go to a Crew game with the little one and have a good time but MLS and college soccer, etc just don't interest me. I got interested because of the skill and ability. Take that away and I go away.

Another certainty that I have learned while watching club soccer. The US will never win the World Cup in my life time and I am almost ready to say my kid's lifetime

It'd likely take a 'Miracle on Ice' type run and match. And having seen that as a 14 yr old, I can't say anything is impossible.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:41 pm

Germany.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Cease » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:58 pm

Squints- I'm pretty sure they watch Tottenham games live at Olde Angle on W. 25. When I say "they," I mean like 8 people. But, I've been there for a game, it's fun to talk football at 9AM on a Sunday with interested peeps.

I'm very torn on picking a team to support. I am a Fulham man simply b/c Dempsey is there, and I really enjoy his play and that they sing that Dempsey song. Also, seeing an EPL game is on my bucket list, and I think Craven Cottage would be a sweet place to see a match.

Newcastle certainly has the coolest owner, though. Still torn. All I know is I can't support ManU. It's a LeBron move.
Cease

Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Unread postby Govbarney » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:10 pm

I am the opposite of a Italian ship captain , I go down with the ship. So when Learner bought Aston Villa they immediately became my team. I bought a jersey ( when the 'sponsor' was Acorn a non profit children's hospital ) I make a point to try to watch them any time they are on TV and hope to get to a game someday.
At the very least I figure I am in good company b/c Prince William, Ozzy Osbourne, and Tom Hanks all support the Villians as well.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby gotribe31 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:04 am

I got tickets to the Bears-Bucs game when I was in London this past fall. Proudly wore my browns jersey. Was one of only three in the stadium, as far as I could tell. A couple of the locals came up to me asking if I was an Aston Villa fan. I had no freaking clue what they were talking about or why they were asking me that, until they reminded me that Lerner owned both clubs.

Of course, the guy asking had an Aaron Rodgers jersey on. When I asked him why he wasn't a Browns fan (since he was an Aston Villa fan) he replied simply, "they're not very good, are they? It's so much easier to be a Packers fan." Yes, random English guy. Yes it is.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby Squints » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:07 pm

That's pretty cool, Cease. If I am ever "home" for a period of time and I could escape, it might be fun to sit in the back and just take it all in.

The heck with Arsenal/Man U.; The best EPL game yesterday was Man City edging out Tottenham 3-2 on an injury time pk; 4 goals in 9 minutes otherwise, not one you could pin on Friedel. Gareth Bale is becoming my next favorite player- too bad he is Welsh and we'll never see him on an international level- had a turn and blast into the top corner from just just outside the box to tie after being down 2-0 (or nil if you prefer.) A damn good game that even got my wife's interest.

I hear you Peek, about the US cup chances. I say that is optimistic at best, I highly doubt you'd bet on the US in 2014, and I know you were just making a point. But watching the EPL has just opened my eyes to how far the US has to go (and they have come very far since 1990). Tim Howard is considered an elite goalie by many- I don't see it. I have seen him give up a few horrible goals this year and during the gold cup this summer, he gave up a terrible late goal this past Sat against Blackburn. An ancient Brad Friedel is better. Landon Donovan- MVP of the MLS, considered the best
US player of this generation and perhaps all time is a fringe EPL player. Clint Dempsey is far better and should be the focal point of the US attack moving forward. Again, I am a novice and am still learning the in-depth strategies of the game, but they just don't pass the eye test.

Sorry the original thread got high-jacked, I don't watch the Bundesliga simply because I can't find it.
Squints

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:41 pm

No worries on the OP. Someone noted the Bundesliga contract with FOX ran out and hasn't been renewed and that's why you're not seeing it.

Agree on the MLS/Donovan/EPL stuff. MLS is AA to the EPL Top 6 and the Champions League. I hate watching it and the CONCACAF shit. So I really don't.

I'll watch the mens and womens world cup teams (closely enough to know Ali Krieger tore an ACL badly this past weekend) and I'll watch Europe's best including Bundesliga when possible, La Liga, Serie A, etc. It's fascinating to me and the politics/player movement is too.

Arsenal lost $30million + yesterday in that loss. They lost a spot in the Champions League and the $30million that goes with it. They'll also lose Van Persie and another player or two who will leave to play for a team in the Champions League. Those guys don't stick around to get less exposure out of some sense of loyalty. They're worse than American athletes that way.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Squints » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:14 pm

Two things. Arsenal is nowhere out of the champions league talk just yet after they just destroyed the Spurs yesterday after being down 2-0. Chelsea's looked horrible at times and it wouldn't surprise me if they got the 4th spot.

Also, I won two tickets to a Crew game next in what used to be referred to as a Chinese auction at my daughter's school on Friday. She's actually excited about it. Always wanted to check it out, now I have an excuse. At the very least I could show her where she will be going to college in 11 years. ;-) ;) :wink:
Squints

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:14 pm

Squints wrote:Two things. Arsenal is nowhere out of the champions league talk just yet after they just destroyed the Spurs yesterday after being down 2-0. Chelsea's looked horrible at times and it wouldn't surprise me if they got the 4th spot.

Also, I won two tickets to a Crew game next in what used to be referred to as a Chinese auction at my daughter's school on Friday. She's actually excited about it. Always wanted to check it out, now I have an excuse. At the very least I could show her where she will be going to college in 11 years. ;-) ;) :wink:

Nope. They're not. They've played their way back in while others have stumbled. But they're still in serious jeopardy of missing out on the Top 4 and they're still nearly 10 points behind the Spurs who you'd think would stumble before Chelsea and even Newcastle.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Squints » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:30 pm

Yes, it was only a friendly, but a historic win by the US today. They looked good, Howard with some good saves. Make no mistake, Dempsey is now the focal point of the US team and it sounds like Donovan better get his ass on board with Klinsman or he may find himself on the outside looking in come cup time.

Yes, they have a long way to go but it looks like they are starting to gel with Klinsman and vice-versa. Future friendlies with Scotland and Brazil should tell more before they start Cup qualifying in the JV division of FIFA.
Squints

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:34 pm

Was a fun match to watch. I do wish they had a bit more firepower on the offensive side but their defense was stellar this afternoon.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:35 am

Peek, I could not agree more with your statement above in regards to people watching EPL for a few months and they'll never go back. So damn true. I've converted my best friend into a hockey fan (Cbus unfortunately), and now he wants to get into soccer (EPL most likely). He asked how he could pick his team and I said trace your white ass lineage and go from there. I've been a Liverpool nut since college and will never give up on the Reds.

BTW - did anyone see the outstanding finish to the Carling Cup last week? What a show by the underdog boys from Wales though the Reds took the W. The last 45 minutes of that game was some of the best soccer I've watched all year.

WAR FSN CHANNEL #318 on TIME WARNER
"All Beckett needs to do to cap off this mess is order some fried chicken and beer" – 5/10/12 before Beckett got chased in the 3rd at Fenway.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Favorite Player: Mexican Cooking
Least Favorite Player: 99% of all humans

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:38 am

Squints wrote:Yes, it was only a friendly, but a historic win by the US today. They looked good, Howard with some good saves. Make no mistake, Dempsey is now the focal point of the US team and it sounds like Donovan better get his ass on board with Klinsman or he may find himself on the outside looking in come cup time.

Have you had a chance to watch Clint in Fulham this year? Guy has taken his game to an entirely different level in the EPL and is only getting better with age. He'd be the face of American soccer if people were less casual fans. That blast he had against Stoke earlier in the season was Gerrard/Rooney-esqe.
"All Beckett needs to do to cap off this mess is order some fried chicken and beer" – 5/10/12 before Beckett got chased in the 3rd at Fenway.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Favorite Player: Mexican Cooking
Least Favorite Player: 99% of all humans

Unread postby Squints » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:50 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^

Absolutely. He has really come into his own this year for Fulham. A bigger team will recognize his talent- Tottenham I hope- ignore the American stereotype and sign him so he will really gain further international notoriety.

He needs to be the focus of the US attack and Landon Donovan needs to feed him the ball, not concern himself with goals and rack up the assists: much like he did on his recent loan to Everton. The announcers were pessimistic about Donovan and Klinsman being able to gel. Klinsman has coached 8 games, Donovan has yet to play and that is concerning. The US needs Donovan, just he should not be the centerpiece of the team anymore. This team lacks offense- the tactic seems to be retreat, build the wall and get lucky on a counter-attack.

Great game this weekend Spurs v. Man U. Man U needs to stay with City, Spurs need to keep their distance from Chelsea and Arsenal.
Squints

Unread postby Squints » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:31 pm

Admittedly this was the first time I sat down and watched Barcalona/Messi. Wow! A complete destruction of BL, he made it look too easy. I thought I was watching a Force game- 7 goals 5 by Messi. They look unbeatable and with the more physical EPL teams fading away I don't think anyone can touch them- However, my knowledge of teams outside the EPL and Serie A is limited.
Squints

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:14 pm

Squints wrote:Admittedly this was the first time I sat down and watched Barcalona/Messi. Wow! A complete destruction of BL, he made it look too easy. I thought I was watching a Force game- 7 goals 5 by Messi. They look unbeatable and with the more physical EPL teams fading away I don't think anyone can touch them- However, my knowledge of teams outside the EPL and Serie A is limited.

Couldn't be touched last year. They made Man U look like a club team in the Finals.

Messi is filthy. And he'a bout 5'0 and 160lbs. Ridiculously skilled and that entire team could pass accurately if they were drilling in briars and mud.

They get bored and they get beat, they rest guys and they can get beat. But they ain't getting beat when they're close to 100% and giving a shit.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Squints » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:32 pm

They've already won the club world cup this year by beating down Santos. 2 of Messi's goals today- 1:1 with the goalie where everyone else tries to fire it low and to the side, he flicks the ball of what looks like his big toe and deftly goes over the goalie's head- pure poetry and humiliating to the goalie. The only team left that has a shot against them is AC Milan, and I mean a punchers chance. That was very impressive today.
Squints

Unread postby Squints » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:07 pm

Looks like Brad Friedel brought a little too much of the The Cleveland Experience with him to Tottenham. Monumental choke job Spurs, losing to QPR on a free kick in which Friedel got burned. It's not over yet, but it basically is.
Squints

Return to The Back Of The Net