Text Size

The Back Of The Net

USA v Spain

Talk Cleveland City Stars, World Cup, MLS, and all other forms of pro soccer here in TheClevelandFan's newest forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Spin

USA v Spain

Unread postby budfrog532 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:20 pm

I would be overjoyed with just a well played match, not really expecting a win, just want it to be handled well.
I don't think the US has near enough firepower for this match, especially with Spain seemingly at the top of their form.
budfrog532

Favorite Player: Clay Matthews
Least Favorite Player: John Elway

Re: USA v Spain

Unread postby Cease » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:51 pm

They're calling this a measuring stick game, and that's what it is. If Spain runs up a 4-0 on the US, whoa boy- it's gonna look very bleak going into the World Cup. If the US can hold it to 1-0 or 2-0 with the second goal being garbage, I'll be encouraged, if not satisfied. If they can manage to beat Spain :hide: look out, we'll be in for a great ride for the next couple of years.

Lalas keeps repeating "We need a big game from our big players." I am going to be watching Altidore out there today. He's got to be physical and excert some pressure in the box. Lalas is right- it's about our stars stepping up, executing, and converting chances to play with the big boys.

Looking forward to the match. 2:35 ESPN.
Cease

Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Unread postby Cease » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:01 pm

From ESPN Gamecast:
Well isn't that a turn up for the books. Well not really, as USA have made the clearer chances so far. Anyway, Dempsey fed it in to Ailtdore, who showed great strength to turn and fend off Xavi, before doing Casillas with his eyes, sending the ball to his right and in off the post, while the keeper went left, although he did manage a touch.

Goal US in 27th min. 1-0. Wow. i believe I said something about Altidore showing up!
Cease

Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:55 pm

USA 2
Spain 0
Final

Dempsey with the second.

Unbelievable.
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Unread postby Triple-S » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:22 pm

:).

Unbelievable. That's pretty amazing, has to be like on the level of Appalachia State upsetting Meatchicken a few years back.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby Spin » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:39 am

They're calling this a measuring stick game, and that's what it is. If they can manage to beat Spain look out, we'll be in for a great ride for the next couple of years.

PULL THOSE SEAT BELTS TIGHT!!!!

:pigs: :yes:
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby budfrog532 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:37 pm

Triple-S wrote:
Unbelievable. That's pretty amazing, has to be like on the level of Appalachia State upsetting Meatchicken a few years back.

Probably actually a bigger upset than that one.
Spain came in undefeated since 2006, and hadn't even allowed a goal in basically 5 complete games.
If UM were the defending national champions and had started the season 5-0, blowing every team out by 20+ points, and then Appalachian State came in and beat them at the Big Outhouse, then that would probably be a better parallel.

Huge, just huge.
The incredible thing is that this was not a "lucky" win where the ball bounced our way. Certainly, Spain had 2 or 3 golden chances to put balls in the net, but clearly the US was the better team...which I did not expect to say in way shape or form.

I am more impressed with how the US outplayed Spain than I am by the final score. Midfield play was the best I have seen from this team in a long, long time --- who knew that Dempsey actually knows how to come back and help on the wings...

What a huge win.
budfrog532

Favorite Player: Clay Matthews
Least Favorite Player: John Elway

Return to The Back Of The Net