Text Size

The Back Of The Net

Aston Villa & Lerner

Talk Cleveland City Stars, World Cup, MLS, and all other forms of pro soccer here in TheClevelandFan's newest forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Spin

Aston Villa & Lerner

Unread postby Govbarney » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:57 pm

Anyone else think Villa is going to get allot better now that Lerner has a billion more to spend on the team?

This past weekend I was watching the Aston Villa Vs. Hotspers game , and it was mentioned that after buying the team for 40 million LBS , that Lerner has had one of the lowest payrolls in the Premier League. last year Villa bearly avoided regulation... Coincidence Lerner sold the Browns...?
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Re: Aston Villa & Lerner

Unread postby Squints » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:57 pm

They'll be in danger of being relegated all year, here's hoping it happens, but I bet they avoid it by the slimmest of margins. No offense to the good people of the Midlands, but everything that man touches seems to rot.

Good start to the EPL season- Dempsey freed and now with the Spurs. NE Ohio's own Brad Friedel benched after starting 300+ games in a row and after the Spurs beat Man U in Old Trafford for the first time in 30 years.
Squints

Favorite Player: Howard, Tim
Least Favorite Player: Howard, Desmond

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:40 pm

Villa are gash. Hope they go down
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Chris Perez

Unread postby CleSportsTruth » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:21 pm

Really, Lerner's remaining team and former team were equally inept this weekend. 8-0 Chelsea over Villa at Stamford Bridge!

Brad Guzan continues to make Tim Howard more $$$$.

That said, their youth makes them fragile. If they survive the initial storm, like at Anfield last week, they're fine. If not...
CleSportsTruth

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:53 pm

CleSportsTruth wrote:Really, Lerner's remaining team and former team were equally inept this weekend. 8-0 Chelsea over Villa at Stamford Bridge!

Brad Guzan continues to make Tim Howard more $$$$.

That said, their youth makes them fragile. If they survive the initial storm, like at Anfield last week, they're fine. If not...

I'd laugh my ass off if they were relegated. Although the blow is probably cushioned by the fact the free football team he inherited 10 years ago just sold for a cool billion+.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Squints » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:19 pm

8-0 to Chelsea, 4-0 to Spurs today. I'm sure Jammies is getting blasted by the press. The only way the will stay up because there are enough crappy teams behind them but can we just put these guys and fans out of their misery and relegate them now. Gov, have you changed allegiencies yet.

On a side note, Old Man Friedel keeps on rolling, signed a new contract, will be 43 when it is up. I see him being a Steve DeBerg, Vince Evans type back up gk and just hang out until his late 40's, maybe getting a start during a mid-week FA Cup match against some town's team from League 2. Keep on rolling Brad, you are still America's second best keeper.
Squints

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:55 pm

Well it looks like Villa only have to be slightly less worse than 1 other team. QPR and Reading are already 5 points adrift at Christmas, and only 1 team has survived the drop when being bottom at Xmas.

I think Villa will be relegated, they're abysmal
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Chris Perez

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:37 pm

Squints wrote:8-0 to Chelsea, 4-0 to Spurs today. I'm sure Jammies is getting blasted by the press. The only way the will stay up because there are enough crappy teams behind them but can we just put these guys and fans out of their misery and relegate them now. Gov, have you changed allegiencies yet.

On a side note, Old Man Friedel keeps on rolling, signed a new contract, will be 43 when it is up. I see him being a Steve DeBerg, Vince Evans type back up gk and just hang out until his late 40's, maybe getting a start during a mid-week FA Cup match against some town's team from League 2. Keep on rolling Brad, you are still America's second best keeper.

Also tells me he's likely a pretty decent teammate and dude. You get a guy like that as backup GK only if he adds something else. Elsewise you give the gig to a younger player to get some EPL experience, no?

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:32 pm

http://espnfc.com/us/en/report/358612/report.html?soccernet=true&cc=5901

Bradford City 3-1 Aston Villa.

Hahaha, I bet all those tossers are screaming for Randy's head. Granted I'm a 'Pool fan and Villa spanked the Reds a few weeks ago, funny to see a big upset like this when Bradford already took out Arsenal earlier in the year.
"All Beckett needs to do to cap off this mess is order some fried chicken and beer" – 5/10/12 before Beckett got chased in the 3rd at Fenway.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Favorite Player: Mexican Cooking
Least Favorite Player: 99% of all humans

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:46 pm

RickNashEquilibrium wrote:

Bradford City 3-1 Aston Villa.

Hahaha, I bet all those tossers are screaming for Randy's head. Granted I'm a 'Pool fan and Villa spanked the Reds a few weeks ago, funny to see a big upset like this when Bradford already took out Arsenal earlier in the year.

They beat Wigan as well. What would the equivalent be? They're a Bantam team. That like a Double A-caliber of talent?

God, I'd love to see Randy turn to the English equivalent of Mike Holmgren to straighten his other failing football team.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Squints » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:14 pm

peeker643 wrote:
Also tells me he's likely a pretty decent teammate and dude. You get a guy like that as backup GK only if he adds something else. Elsewise you give the gig to a younger player to get some EPL experience, no?

Of course. You don't just sign a contract extension with a Champs League caliber team when you are well past your prime without having a few of those intangibles in your possession.

But more importantly, Villa has now slipped into a relegation slot and trending downward. If they go down, it will surprise no one, but yet resonate with everyone.
Squints

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:37 pm

"All Beckett needs to do to cap off this mess is order some fried chicken and beer" – 5/10/12 before Beckett got chased in the 3rd at Fenway.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Favorite Player: Mexican Cooking
Least Favorite Player: 99% of all humans

Unread postby Squints » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:07 pm

Heard this result driving home from work on the XMFC channel. Laughed and thought of this thread. The commentators were saying that the second string goalie played and said if Guzan started he would of saved those shots- the same goalie who let in 8 against Chelsea and a few days later 4 to the Spurs. These lower tier EPL teams leave themselves open to these upsets when they go with their 2nd-3rd teamers in the league cup games- and that's what happened. Maybe Jammies could sell this one for 2 bills.
Squints

Return to The Back Of The Net