Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Tip your cap to Kobe

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Tip your cap to Kobe

Unread postby Lebowski » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:52 am

Love him or hate him, you gotta respect what this guy is doing on a nightly basis. And if the season ended today, he'd be the MVP.

He's averaging 36 pts per game this season, and is getting better as the season matures. In the month of January, he averaged 43 pts a game, which is the best monthly output by anyone not named Wilt Chamberlin. January was highlighted by his astounding 81 pt night.

A lot of people don't like Kobe. Hell, I'm really a fan of the guy, but I think you gotta give him props. His season has been truly amazing, and some of the greatest scoring I have seen in my lifetime.

Sorry Bron, but Kobe's the MVP this year.
- Lebowski
Lebowski
The Dude

Favorite Player: Z
Least Favorite Player: BE

Unread postby swerb » Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:57 pm

Right now Kobe is the MVP, hands down. That team is garbage besides him, and they are 24-20.

In addition to his offensive prowess, Kobe is a lockdown defender, and is having another good year at that end despite exerting so much energy at the offensive end carrying the Lakers.

Right now its a no brainer ... Kobe is the MVP.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby yargs7 » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:29 pm

I agree. But let me play devil's advocate here...

Where would the Cavs be without Lebron?

King James 31.2 ppg 6.9 rpg 6.3 apg 1.7 spg
Kobe 36.0 ppg 5.5 rpg 4.3 apg 1.3 spg
yargs7
College Football Nut

Unread postby Lebowski » Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:48 am

I agree that Bron is in the running, and it is easy to make his case.

But Kobe is on a different level right now.

I actually like the fact that Kobe and Bron are both having MVP years together. Kinda fuels the fire for that "rivalry" that seems to be needed for great players in the NBA. Listening to the radio the day, it was mentioned that maybe in the coming years, Lebron and Kobe could be the next great NBA rivalry. Obviously, they would need to make the finals and play each other...and if that happened, think about how great it would be (most Cleveland fans don't need to be count the ways a Cleveland team making the championship would be great, but I digress). You have Kobe, who is an excellent player, but who is a villian in most eyes. You have Lebron, who is a great, young talent, the future face of the NBA, who is generally liked throughout NBA circles. Both players in the finals, locked up with each other...too good to be true. Stern would cream his pants.
- Lebowski
Lebowski
The Dude

Favorite Player: Z
Least Favorite Player: BE

Unread postby swerb » Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:36 am

Its a 1 & 1a situation in my eyes, with Kobe's clear advantage at the defensive end making the difference in my eyes.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Jon Cohodas » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:30 am

Right now Kobe is the MVP, hands down. That team is garbage besides him, and they are 24-20.

So what you are saying is that LeBron was the MVP last year?
Jon Cohodas
Cavs Writer

Unread postby swerb » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:45 am

So what you are saying is that LeBron was the MVP last year?

Even last year, the Cavs supporting cast was better than the junk that surrounds Kobe this year IMO.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby yargs7 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:56 pm

Let's face it. No matter what the sport, the MVP award is a farce. It never goes to the most valuable player. It should be called the Player of the Year award or Most Popular Award. The "MVP" usually goes to a player on a good team, who sets a major record, or puts up phenomenal stats in addition to being a media magnet. "Most Valuable" is too subjective. Most Valuable to what? The Team? The League? The Fans? It's stupid. Yes, Kobe is more valuable to his team, than any other player might be to their respective team, maybe. Who knows? The plain truth is, the media hates him, the fans hate him, and his wife probably hates him. Barring another collapse by the Cavs, Lebron has the inside track to the "MVP" because he has the stats, he has the commercials, and he is media and fan friendly.
"You win with people"

-W.W. "Woody" Hayes
yargs7
College Football Nut

Unread postby consigliere » Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:37 pm

I'm down with Kobe as MVP.

Lebron definitely gets consideration, and should be top 2 or 3.

I wish Kobe was on this team in the playoffs though, instead of LeChoke. :twisted: :wink:
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA