Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Cavs Off-Season

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Cavs Off-Season

Unread postby pup » Tue May 09, 2006 1:55 pm

I've done it! I figured out how to make the Cavs an instant title contender next year. It will require multiple moves, even some that may seem crazy, but I think it just might work.

Step 1...Trade Z. As soon as possible. Look, I really like the big guy. I even think he is a very good player. However, with his disappearing act so far this post season, maybe this isn't where he fits best. The Cavs are too athletic and stupid to slow down games and use him correctly. What should be on the wish list? How about Andre Miller, or any other pass first point guard who can run an offense and get other players easy looks.

Step 2... Sign and trade Drew Gooden. He has to be at his most valuable point right now, which doesn't say much. Maybe get a 2 guard to come off the bench, instead of keeping Flip Murray.

Step 3... This is the biggest, and will be the most difficult part to pull off. Throw every dollar you possibly can at Ben Wallace. I know Detroit will do everything they can to keep him, but he is exactly what the Cavs need. Not only would you be making the Cavs better, you would bring Detroit down. He is the physical presence to keep teams off LeBron's back. He is the best defensive player in the NBA. He has roots here in Cleveland (Tri-C).

Step 4... Win the NBA Title in June 2007.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby consigliere » Wed May 10, 2006 12:57 am

All I know, is the starting lineup needs an overhaul. I rather like the bench, but the starting lineup has got to go. We are seeing that this starting five is good enough to win 50 games and get the #4 seed and advance a round.....but unless we improve at just about every position except Lebron's, we'll be knocked out every year to the Pistons in the next 2-3 years.

I subscribe to the "two stars" theory.....where if you have two stars, you are usually an elite team. It worked for Jordan and Pippen.....Shaq and Kobe....etc. Unless you are a team that is so fundamentally sound defensively like the Spurs/Pistons, we need to find that 2nd star.

How about going after Kevin Garnett in Minn? I am not sure if he is available....or if we have the ammo to pull off a deal....but he would be the perfect addition to this team if you ask me. Great defender, great passer, great rebounder, and tough. Plus, he is a star and with him you no longer can double Lebron all the time. You nab him, and you just fill in with role players at PG, SG, and C and the first 4 off the bench.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby Guest » Wed May 10, 2006 6:56 am

Point guard is the biggest need on this team
Z has to go.

Unread postby pup » Wed May 10, 2006 9:25 am

Z, Gooden and Hughes for Garnett and Marcus Banks?
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Guest » Wed May 10, 2006 10:22 pm

Deal

Unread postby swerb » Sat May 13, 2006 10:38 pm

Z and Gooden both need to go.

No way the team moves Hughes, but I do feel they overpayed him.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby consigliere » Sat May 13, 2006 11:34 pm

Z is a worthless piece of shit. A fucking waste.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby furls » Sun May 14, 2006 4:27 pm

hmmm,

I seem to remember catching some shit for this very same comment several months ago:

viewtopic.php?t=89

Z is not a good player. It is much more important to a team with this much athleticism and "potential" scorers to have a strong defensive presence. There is a spot for scoring no defense centers in this league, but it is not on a team with a suspect power foward on defense. If the Cavs had Charles Oakly or Charles Barkley they could afford to have Z. With Gooden in there they do not need him. What they really need is a big man (like Varejao) who will rebound and then throw the long outlet pass to start the break. This team could run with anyone provided they could get the rebounds and long passes to make it happen.

I love watching this team with Hughes, Lebron, and Murray on the court running the floor.

I agree with all other comments on this thread. I really think that the cavs need to get another star in here, but frankly I dont think it will happen. Deals like Larry Hughes and Damon Jones last off season have left the Cavs a bit cash short and guys like Kevin Garnett are not going to come here out of the kindness of their heart. I think KG might move next year, but I dont think there is a snowballs chance in hell we will see him here. Furthermore, I am not sure that any NBA team is going to be willing to pick up Z or Hughes' contracts. We are overpaying both of them and unfortunately even Isiah Thomas is too cash short to do anything right now. Anyone else know another retarded GM?
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA