Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Chris Sheridan rumor

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Chris Sheridan rumor

Unread postby Dozen » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:12 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In order to resign Varejao, they may want move Gooden. The rumor:

Gooden + David Wesley ($1.7m, non-guaranteed)
for
Kurt Thomas+Banks+#24
http://www.thesportshole.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheSportsHole

I have never seen so many kok heads all lumped together like that ~ Yhimmie
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Unread postby mswerb » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:16 pm

I don't like Anderson at all.
mswerb
Carolina Junkie

Favorite Player: MJ
Least Favorite Player: Anyone from DOOK

Unread postby StewieG » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:28 pm

No thanks. Thomas is getting old and is injured a lot, and Banks...well, Banks blows, and is overpaid...kind of like Eric Snow. I'll be very upset if this goes down.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby pup » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:15 am

worst.rumor.ever.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby swerb » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:06 am

I don't think the Cavs have to move Gooden in order to keep Varejao. Andy's not going anywhere, and he shouldn't. And the Cavs won't have any salary or money concerns when it comes to him, as they can exceed the cap to sign him ... and Gilbert has green lighted that. Going to the NBA Finals is very, very profitable for an NBA org.

Gooden to Phoenix makes ALOT of sense though. It would not surprise me at all to see him dealt there for one of Phoenix's picks and a couple players.

Gooden is a sieve defensively and is as dumb as a rock. Andy's gonna be here long term, and we need a tough minded veteran that can block shots to share the 4 with him IMO.

If you can get value for Gooden, you do it IMO.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Guest » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:18 am

I wouldn't mind Varejao leaving at all.

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:21 am

Swerb wrote:I don't think the Cavs have to move Gooden in order to keep Varejao. Andy's not going anywhere, and he shouldn't. And the Cavs won't have any salary or money concerns when it comes to him, as they can exceed the cap to sign him ... and Gilbert has green lighted that. Going to the NBA Finals is very, very profitable for an NBA org.

Gooden to Phoenix makes ALOT of sense though. It would not surprise me at all to see him dealt there for one of Phoenix's picks and a couple players.

Gooden is a sieve defensively and is as dumb as a rock. Andy's gonna be here long term, and we need a tough minded veteran that can block shots to share the 4 with him IMO.

If you can get value for Gooden, you do it IMO.

Andy will be here long term if he's not a part of a deal for a much better PF like a Garnett or O'Neal.

Gooden is trade bait. His salary is small for what he is and he has good value.

Maybe we could get Raja Bell for him and dump Hughes somewhere? ;)

More likely, we would take Kurt Thomas' ending contract or use Phoenix in a three-way deal, using Thomas' ending contract to get something from someone else.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:18 pm

I wouldn't mind Varejao leaving at all.

I don't understand this POV from people at all.

If there were a bunch of Andy's around the league ready to become available then yeah I could see it, but there aren't.

Matter of fact there just aren't that many Andy's out there period.

Determining AV's value to the team is the essential part of whether or not we sign him (for big bucks), and deciding whether or not the Cavaliers can be as good without that type of contribution. I believe the Cavaliers need that type of play with our current roster. Do the Cavaliers win as many games last year without that type of play (essentially do they win as many without Andy), I don't think so?

First, look at what Andy brings us, incredible hustle, very good rebounding, decent D (great ability to draw fouls on offensive players) size and 6 fouls. Now look at our roster, if Andy is gone is there anybody from within that can fill his role AND fill it at the level he performed at? No, not on our roster. Now you have to look around the league and find comparables to Andy & what he brings us. After finding those players that compare to Andy's style and contribution now ask are they available? If so for how much?

I think when looking at this objectively, for right now we have to resign Andy b/c we need what he brings us and there isn't necessarily anyone out there available that is better at what Andy does.

If anybody thinks we win as many games last year without Andy and that style of play then I am not sure which Cavaliers season you watched.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby mswerb » Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:28 pm

Flop.
mswerb
Carolina Junkie

Favorite Player: MJ
Least Favorite Player: Anyone from DOOK

Unread postby Guest » Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:09 pm

I think he will get WAY TOO much money.
I think Gooden is much better and everyone wants him to be traded.
Andy's act is going to catch up with him and started to catch on with the refs in the playoffs.
Wow, he hustles and can rebound, doesn't do much else. I am one who thinks we can do without him.
If he started, he would foul out by halftime.
I would like for him to get traded for a pick or a point guard.

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:56 pm

I agree Gooden is better, much better. I have always been of the opinion Gooden needs to be the 3rd option and get touches early, when he gets off early he is a good basketball player.

Flop?

That flopping won games for the Cavaliers this year. He did a lot of the dirty work players with ten times his ability on this team would not do, and every good team needs that. RP48 he is among the better non starters. So again I ask, if not him who else on our roster can do that stuff?

The answer is below.
Last edited by FUDU on Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FUDU

Unread postby Guest » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:00 pm

The answer isn't on our roster to be honest. We have bigger needs, much bigger needs.
If they can keep Gooden, not overpay for Andy, and get a point guard somehow, I'm all for it.
Point guard is the by far the biggest area of need and we'll have to deal Sasha and/or Andy to do so and I have no problem doing that.

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:47 pm

The answer isn't on our roster to be honest. We have bigger needs, much bigger needs.
If they can keep Gooden, not overpay for Andy, and get a point guard somehow, I'm all for it.
Point guard is the by far the biggest area of need and we'll have to deal Sasha and/or Andy to do so and I have no problem doing that.

Agreed.

However IF we do lose Andy we lose what he brings and that loss, despite us filling a more pressing need, will end up showing up and having an impact in some way.

I don't want to over pay to keep Andy but if it is between that and outright losing him with no replacement what so ever for what he brings I'd rather over pay.

If we obtain some shooters this season then it could change things. B/C no matter how nice it is to hear announcers say your team leads the league in offensive rebounding there is a reason for it, and that reason is not necessarily a good thing. Clank.

FUDU

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:50 pm

I agree, Gooden should be further up the list on offense. He needs to be more consistent with his mid-range jumper, but I think given work he can be.

I'm still concerned about the offensive coaching this team has. They need to work on their shooting and need an offense that moves the ball around the perimeter, searching for opportunities.

It's easy to blame the players, but these coaches still seem incompetent on offense.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby jb » Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:32 am

I don't understand these rumors.

Tinkering is NOT what the Cavs' need. They need EITHER a major change that brings in a 2nd difference maker with the expressed intend of puting us over the hump. He can be in prime or that vet guy who wants his title shot.

OR they need to stand pat with the roster and ocus on continuity and skills improvement of this young team. Many of those ideas have already been mentioned. But upping the individual skill sets, getting a real offesnive asst, and just lettting these guys continue to play together is what is really needed if you aren't going to fundamentally change the talent level. Keep Drew, resign Sahsa, Side Show Bob and just wait impatiently for the contract mistakes made with the old men to expire. By then, you have a late 20 something core with a ton of playoff experience, and lot's of cap space.

That's the stuff of multiple championships .

But Getting Kurt Thomas and stiffs like that just to shuffle the deck?

WTF for? It's all Scott Pollards to me.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby leadpipe » Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:50 pm

Fight has mentioned previously that he feels Andy will be overpaid by a team, or even a few teams. I agree with this, and I still feel this to be the case.

I also don't think Drew Gooden is a player that will help you win a championship (Swerb, this is also why I don't think Phoenix will take him). You never know what you're going to get from him, he's dumb as a stump and this whole double/double deal. I mean, how hard is it for a decent player, on this team, to achieve 10 and 10. I think it's more of a reflection of the quality players that are hanging around here than it is Gooden. As stated previously, if the guy was a good player, you would have gotten bettwr quality of players than Channing Frye and company a few months ago. His value hasn't risen since then.

Point being, they will be lucky to keep Andy (and probably smart to let him walk) and are still going to find an all day sucker to deal Gooden in a deal that will MAKE THE TEAM BETTER.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA