Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Cavs talking to Atlanta?

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Cavs talking to Atlanta?

Unread postby pup » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:21 pm

Looking to get the #3 pick? Would they take Connely?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/w ... index.html

Further down it mentions Cavs being involved with Minnesota for Garnett.

One thing is for sure, Danny Ferry is talking to people.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:41 pm

But the Hawks could also move the pick to Cleveland or another team hoping to trade into the draft. If the Hawks are going to pick up a young veteran by trade, they need to do so by draft night while they still have $4.6 million in cap space that permits them to take on more salary than they're trading away. That makes Atlanta a highly seductive trading partner -- but that space will vanish July 1 when its two first-round picks are automatically applied to the cap. Atlanta is in a much stronger position to trade now than it will be next month.

This is just a writer theorizing. He never actually says that the Cavs are looking into the #3 pick.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby pup » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:08 pm

Where there is smoke....

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:35 pm

I have a feeling that we'd love to get Horford and move Gooden in another deal, possibly for a PG. Or we could acquire the pick and trade down, getting Conley later.

Memphis is obsessed with Horford and might be able to give us something to trade up. We could then take Conley at #4 - and Conley would be an instant great fit with the Cavs.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:44 pm

There is no smoke here.

Come on, use your head. It is common knowledge that the Cavs would like to trade back into the draft. Thompson simply took that knowledge and made a broad statement/theory.

He doesn't even make a statement implying ANY talks between the teams. You guys are really being wishful here.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby pup » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:46 pm

There is always smoke.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby Dozen » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:55 pm

As there is always talk heading into the draft.
http://www.thesportshole.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheSportsHole

I have never seen so many kok heads all lumped together like that ~ Yhimmie
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Unread postby MacGregor78 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:29 pm

Nothing wrong with dreaming and coming up with scenarios. You know Ferry wants to do something big this offseason. Trading up for the #3 pick would definitely do it. I just dont know who Atlanta would want off our roster.
MacGregor

Just hoping my child doesn't have to go grow up in a world where Cleveland Sports are terrible like I had to.
MacGregor78

Unread postby VultureHxC » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:39 pm

well reading the article, atlanta wants more big men that are more post type players. so i could see trading gooden or possibly a sign and trade for andy, and we'd probably have to throw them at least one bench player too
VultureHxC

Unread postby Dozen » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:40 pm

If Dallas is so high on Noah, why not try and do a sign and trade AV for Jason Terry whom they are shopping to try and get Noah.
http://www.thesportshole.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheSportsHole

I have never seen so many kok heads all lumped together like that ~ Yhimmie
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Unread postby StewieG » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:25 pm

Looking over Atlanta's roster, they don't have a real albatross contract holding them back. The worst they have is probably Speedy Claxton's, with 4 years remaining at over $6M per, probably over $7M per starting next year.

But, a trade that does work under the cap would be Gooden, Wesley's contract, Newble's contract (or Damon Jones), either Boobie or Shannon Brown (or even both - hypothetically), $3M cash, plus either 2008 or 2009's 1st round pick (Hawks choice) for Claxton, Lorenzen Wright, and the #3 pick.

With the #3 pick we take Conley or Horford (I vote Conley, but I like floor generals), and try to sign someone like McDyess or Blatche in free agency. If we were to take Conley, it does leave us a little thin up front and loaded in the backcourt, although Snow is aging, and is little more than a coach at this point. We'd probably spend the first part of the year letting Conley learn behind Claxton and Snow.

Atlanta would get a decent big man in Gooden, a young guard (or two), and some cap space for next year. Gooden's deal isn't very long, nor is it very expensive for a player of his caliber. In a couple years, a lot of their contracts are off the table (save for Zaza Pachulia and Joe Johnson - but that's only 16M between them, so roughly $25M in guaranteed deals at worst, figuring in rising contracts and draft picks) which leaves them with roughly $25M to spend in 2 years.

I dunno. I doubt they'd go for something like that for the #3 pick, but stranger trades have happened.

As for Garnett, I'd be shocked if we were able to get him. I'm glad Ferry is at least talking with them...it shows he's doing his job. But I just don't see how we'd have anywhere near enough to get him unless he really became a malcontent and they were willing to dump him.

The guy I'd be looking to get, and I really think we could get him, is Zach Randolph. I think the pupu platter of expiring contracts and Damon Jones might be enough. I think Portland just wants to get rid of him before he gets to their draft pick, and if they get cap space in the process, goodie for them. Then you turn around and trade one of Gooden, Varejao or (hope hope hope) Marshall for a PG, and you're in good shape for next year.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:41 pm

I truly don't see what Horford would due for this team in terms of getting us any closer to what we ultimately want, a trophy.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby consigliere » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:47 am

I see absolutely no way the Cavaliers can get the #3 pick.

With no 1st round pick to swap them with and also throw in a promising good player.....it will take something like Boobi AND one of Gooden/Varejao to get that pick. And, still, I don't think it is enough.

Cavs need to concentrate on the lower third of the first rounf in this deep draft, as we'll have a much easier time maneuvering into the #18-29 range than to #3.
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA