Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Breaking Down Lebron

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Breaking Down Lebron

Unread postby consigliere » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:31 am

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/5364302

I know Rosen isn't the biggest Lebron fan, but thought his breakdown and analysis was well done here. Comments like:

That LeBron's defense remains unacceptably lackadaisical. That's he's virtually unstoppable on the run. Ditto when he can break free and dribble-penetrate in half-court sets. That, hopefully, he's still a work in progress.

And:

At no time did he cut without the ball. On one possession he was even provided with a pair of sequential S/Rs but never a weak-side screen or a staggered screen. As it is, LeBron always has to start his offense from ground zero. This gives a defense — especially an evolved one like Detroit's — too much time to made adjustments.

And:

Sooner rather than later, LeBron must learn (and be enabled) to play outside of the spotlight.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby furls » Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:11 pm

He needs some help. A real point guard would be a nice start and the Hughes injury completely and totally put the team squarely on his back. I blame Danny Ferry for the point guard thing. We knew going into the season that PG was a serious need for this team, but hell we got DJ.

I think the assessment is fair and spot on. His defense is not great and his play without the ball is not great. I attribute SOME of that to Mike Brown because even when the team is in its half court set they look like me and some buddies in a pick up game making it up as we go.

The Cavs really should be playing more off of the pick and their perimeter passing is just not great. Also, the team itself seems to run down the floor and heave 3's with 19 seconds remaining on the shot clock at inoppotune moments with a hand in their face and they tend to make bad decisions with the ball. When you see this repeatedly with it is a clear statement about the coaching.

I am not impressed with Mike Brown or Danny Ferry.
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby pup » Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:54 pm

I second that!
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby swerb » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:40 pm

Valid points by the author. LeBron's effort without the ball and on defense are very inconsistent. He has gotten better in my view over the last couple months, but he still has a long way to go.

I counted three different occassions tonight where LeBron was just flat out beat for loose balls due to greater effort from a member of the Pistons.

Tayshaun limited LeBron to 9 FGs each of the last two nights, and the Pistons did a great job limiting the damage Bron normally does on the fast break.

A team like the Pistons really exposes the Cavs lack of a quick floor general point guard. Cavs were unable to run on them when the opportunity presented itself, and Rip killed them again on curls and screen rolls.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA