Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Rick Barry

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Rick Barry

Unread postby pup » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:34 pm

Anyone hear him destroy Mike Brown this AM?
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:19 pm

Didn't hear it.

But saw this not long ago.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=619693

"First of all he has a major flaw in his shot that needs to be corrected," Rick Barry said, referring to James. "He has no idea how to use a screen effectively. The guy has been in the league four years. There's no way - I mean, what are they teaching him? How could you have a player of his stature have a major flaw in his shot without someone working on it? How can a player of his stature and his ability not understand how to set his man up and use and read a screen properly? These are basic fundamentals of the game."

What precisely is it about James' jumper that's flawed?

"He has bad form," Rick Barry said. "He had that (Game 5 against Detroit) because he happened to get hot. LeBron is a streak shooter. He can never be a great, consistent shooter because he has a major flaw in his shot that doesn't allow him to repeat the motion of shooting the basketball properly every time. It is so obvious. It is astonishing that someone hasn't corrected it."

Not patting myself on the back but I have said that many times about LeBron and screens.

Rick is a guy who I can handle critiquing the King.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby pup » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:23 pm

That was followed on Mike and Mike with:

"Well, are you blaming Mike Brown for LBJ not developing?"

And Barry's response was:

"Hell yeah I am! Who else would I blame? He has done a disservice to that kid by not developing him over the last couple of years. And I don't care how mad they get at me for saying it."

That is not exact, but the idea is there.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby leadpipe » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:50 pm

I caught it Pup. Hwo bout him tactfully saying "The Cavaliers" were doing Lebron a diservice by not fingding ways to get him the ball in better position to score throughout the year? Barry opened with praising Brown for instilling defensive values. That lasted about 30 seconds, then for the rest of the interview, it was on. He, like many others, made it clear he has no real use for the other 11 guys.

And, I think Rick Barry is an arrogant prick. Anyone who gets T'd up AND worries about their stats in old timers games in pretty much a knob. But, I really thought he was right on the mark.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby pup » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:52 pm

Yes, occasionaly, even the biggest jerkoff in the world can make valid points.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:08 am

He's right, but it doesn't only apply to LeBron. It's pretty clear when you watch this team that they get to do whatever they feel like in the shooting department. I think even Hughes can be better with coaching. He can actually hit shots when he releases at the top of his jump and follows through.

They need to bring in people who can actually help with the shooting mechanics and offensive playcalling and teaching.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby jb » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:42 pm

Remember Bron's quip in one of the post-game interviews about "I'm looking for a shooting coach. Are you a coach?"

Lil Freudian slip there?

I wish he'd shitcan all that FIBA shit and rest, then work on shooting & blocks' post play.

A summer of Pete Newell & Mark Price would NOT suck.

BTW - Bron is an AAU product ho bypassed college & had to carry the franchise immediately. This gets you poor fundamentals.
Last edited by jb on Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby pod2dawg » Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:46 pm

It did make sense when he was talking about energy expounded (wasted) LBJ bringing the ball up, and having to work for his own shot off the dribble rather than coming off a screen.
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby leadpipe » Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:58 pm

JB, the point about him coming from AAU to the NBA to lead a team is spot on. He never had to beat guys from the post. He never had to work many screen (or was in an offense that did so). He never needed a better transition offense-he was the transition offense. The problem here is, that while we all watched the Cavs this season, and saw stretches of PAINFUL offense, it was guys like Barry, Walton, the other Barry, Steve Kerr to name a few that highly recommended, in one way or another, that the Cavs Start helping out Lebron by incorporating a few of these things.

While Mike Brown seemed oblivious to it all.

It's not like the Cavs were playing great offense for 80 plus games and ran into problems during the playoffs. Man, if you can't see the needs for these things during this season, will you ever?
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby jb » Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:44 pm

Lead Pipe wrote:While Mike Brown seemed oblivious to it all.

He was?

Shooot. Here I thought that Chapstick (TM) tube was really a portal viewer into the alternate universe of Tex Winters and he was looking for answers, trying to see why the O was so bad.

It was just that they would only choose tolisten to him about one side of the ball and it was defense.

Now you go and disillusion me.

You bastard.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA