Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Have you given up?

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Have you given up?

Unread postby MacGregor78 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:09 am

For some insane reason I haven't given up on the Cavs. I have no good reason to think they can win tonight, let alone 4 games in a row, but I will be at the Q tonight watching and believing they can win.

I think they can win 4 in a row. Our defense has figured it out. Now our offense will do just enough.

I think Z, Gooden, Gibson and Sasha pick up their intensity and we run off 4 straight. Should I just enroll at a mental hospital now?
Last edited by MacGregor78 on Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MacGregor

Just hoping my child doesn't have to go grow up in a world where Cleveland Sports are terrible like I had to.
MacGregor78

Unread postby furls » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:11 pm

I am not sure that I believe that they can win four in a row, but I would I think it is reasonable that they could win the next two and force game six.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:17 pm

Don't get greedy. It'd be a miracle if we win one game.

Best scenario is we win tonight, and the Spurs finish us off on Sunday. I'm more than ready for this humiliation to be over. This series has been a black eye for the franchise, for the city, and for the fans.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby GreatGoo » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:19 pm

I'm already thinking off-season moves. :twisted:

http://www.sacbee.com/100/story/221892.html
"If sport is to have any value at all, the road traveled, even when it leads to a dead end, should always be a trip worth taking. Without the pain, the champagne, when it finally flows, will have no taste."
GreatGoo
Awaiting First Championship

Favorite Player: TBD
Least Favorite Player: Larry Hughes

Unread postby StewieG » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:32 pm

I haven't given up all hope, but I'm not delusional enough to think we can win 4 in a row against that team. Had we won game 3, I might have some hope. But now? I have very little.

And I've obviously been trying to think up ways to improve the team, as evidenced by some of my other posts.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby MacGregor78 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:51 pm

Why would this be a black eye? The Spurs are a great team.

I think the Cavs have done more than anyone expected this year. No way this is bad for the franchise or the city.

The Cavs may not be the second best team in the league (even though I am not giving up hope), but they can't control how the league is set up. All they can do is go out, play, and win.
MacGregor

Just hoping my child doesn't have to go grow up in a world where Cleveland Sports are terrible like I had to.
MacGregor78

Unread postby dpdad » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:00 pm

I have no illusions about the Cavs winning the series. I'd at least like to avoid the sweep, but the Spurs will be motivated to finish off the series tonight. I'll say the Cavs pull it out tonight with an all-out effort, but the Spurs take game five and the series.

TV ratings are down 20% from last year. ABC execs must be jumping out of windows.
dpdad

Unread postby Dozen » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:18 pm

I would like to think we won't get swept.............but I would not wager on it.
http://www.thesportshole.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheSportsHole

I have never seen so many kok heads all lumped together like that ~ Yhimmie
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:33 pm

MacGregor78 wrote:Why would this be a black eye? The Spurs are a great team.

I think the Cavs have done more than anyone expected this year. No way this is bad for the franchise or the city.

The Cavs may not be the second best team in the league (even though I am not giving up hope), but they can't control how the league is set up. All they can do is go out, play, and win.

The way the series itself has played out hasn't been the worst part of the experience, although I'd dearly love to get just one game out of it.

The spiteful, vicious, and downright hateful way we've been treated by the national media, however, has been almost unbearable, at least for me.

I just want it to be over.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Unread postby consigliere » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:40 pm

I'll always hold out hope we can win....

But, in my mind right now this series is over. I will watch the game tonight...actually only the second half as I won't be able to watch the first half.....and I'll cheer them on.

I want them to win the next two at home and give us something to feel good about. But, even after we do that, we have to do the nearly impossible and win two in SA. So, just win at least one to avoid the sweep.

What I HOPE doesn't happen is we lose tonight and get swept. And, even worse, would be a sorryassed effort and we get blown out. THat would be inexcusable. Gotta fight to the end. I hope Lebron plays all out as well as everyone else and leave nothing on the court.
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby pod2dawg » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:28 pm

Guys remember the +500/ -400 money line? There's a reason for that.
We play a mean D. and have a 22 yr. old "King." San Antone has the best power forward of all time, some real good complimentary players, and great coaching ( including offense). We need to play like devils and do our nightly..." God, I hope somebody is hot" to help LBJ. We can win 2 out the next three and get a little respect. We are at 0 presently. We are at least 2 players away. The King is outgunned.
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:28 pm

I'm with Tony. I hope we can win. I think it's possible. I also know that no one has ever come back from down 3-0 to win, so chances are low. Possible, yes. Likely, no.

The best feel good story would be winning the next three and losing the 7th. It would stink to lose, but the Cavs could feel good. Like Tony says to, they could feel better if they win the next two in Cleveland. At the least, it would give the fans two wins in the city to end the season.

There are some bright sides. We know that we need to find shooters and NEED a real PG.

We need to try to trade Hughes if we can. We need a real low-post presence.

I think these things are doable and plan on writing a column on it after the season ends. I think the Cavs have more assets in trade than most fans think. I don't believe Larry is untradeable because I believe, like I think many NBA people do, that the Cavs don't use him correctly. Larry Hughes is a slasher - he penetrates to the hole. We didn't need that when we signed him because LeBron can do it better. Larry tried to become a spot-up shooter - a gig he stinks at. A team that has no good penetrating presence could be ideal. I could see Seattle being a fit. I'm not sure if Indiana would be willing to entertain a Gooden/Hughes mix for Jermaine O'Neal and his huge contract. It would give them cap flexibiity sooner, looks better than what the Lakers would probably give them, and might leave them in good shape overall. O'Neal's contract is tough to swallow, so Indiana will not get an A+ player out of the deal.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:38 pm

HermanFontenot wrote:The spiteful, vicious, and downright hateful way we've been treated by the national media, however, has been almost unbearable, at least for me.

Rack that. We beat every other EC team in six games, yet wind up like Shaq 'n the kids versus Hakeem's Rockets? "Oh, it must be the playoff system putting a crap EC team in the Finals! Let's turn this into the NCAAs so we can hand the Western Conference free home court advantage and bury the Eastern Conference!" :roll :roll:
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby pod2dawg » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:53 pm

Mr. MacPhisto wrote:

There are some bright sides. We know that we need to find shooters and NEED a real PG.

We need to try to trade Hughes if we can. We need a real low-post presence. I'm not sure if Indiana would be willing to entertain a Gooden/Hughes mix for Jermaine O'Neal and his huge contract. It would give them cap flexibiity sooner, looks better than what the Lakers would probably give them, and might leave them in good shape overall. O'Neal's contract is tough to swallow, so Indiana will not get an A+ player out of the deal.

Yes, yes, & Jermaine O'Neal would be awesome.
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby BruceK » Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:14 pm

Always expect the worst - then you won't be disappointed.

That's the only thing that's worked for me since about The Fumble
BruceK
BJKResearch.com

Favorite Player: Reggie Dunlop
Least Favorite Player: Ogie Oglethorpe

Unread postby MacGregor78 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:39 pm

Well, I will be in the Q in about 4 hours expecting this team to come out on fire. Man I hope I am right.
MacGregor

MacGregor78

Unread postby mswerb » Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:25 pm

I don't know about these guys running the table, but let's get out of here with 2 wins. I would really hate to see the Spurs accept the trophy at The Q. I sure as hell hope the Cavs come out as if someone lit a fire under their asses. LeBron should go off on the day his son was born, and say Happy Birhtday little man.

Fuckin' Cavs, man!
mswerb
Carolina Junkie

Favorite Player: MJ
Least Favorite Player: Anyone from DOOK

Unread postby furls » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:27 pm

don't know about these guys running the table, but let's get out of here with 2 wins. I would really hate to see the Spurs accept the trophy at The Q. I sure as hell hope the Cavs come out as if someone lit a fire under their asses. LeBron should go off on the day his son was born, and say Happy Birhtday little man.

Amen. I am calling it now:

Cavs win games 5 and 6, and then the national media that has been brutalizing the Cavs will spin it into... "Can LeBron bring the Cavs back and do what no other team has done????"

The answer, no, but it will be interesting watching them reverse themselves.

Cavs win tonight and Sunday.

The Cavs have played terribly, if they play even decent ball they win game 3 handily.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:24 pm

I've lost hope in us winning this series but I still believe we can win two games, albeit meaningless in terms of how this series gets remembered.

Although maybe getting swept is a good thing for LeBron's motivational future?
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: Have you given up?

Unread postby jb » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:05 pm

MacGregor78 wrote:For some insane reason I haven't given up on the Cavs. I have no good reason to think they can win tonight, let alone 4 games in a row, but I will be at the Q tonight watching and believing they can win.

I think they can win 4 in a row. Our defense has figured it out. Now our offense will do just enough.

I think Z, Gooden, Gibson and Sasha pick up their intensity and we run off 4 straight. Should I just enroll at a mental hospital now?

U go boi!

Have fun wit it until dead is dead.

Why the hell not?

We have no chance. Just enjoy the fact we're there one last time. Bob Knight, Connie Chung and all that sort of thing.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby jb » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:07 pm

HermanFontenot wrote:Don't get greedy. It'd be a miracle if we win one game.

Best scenario is we win tonight, and the Spurs finish us off on Sunday. I'm more than ready for this humiliation to be over. This series has been a black eye for the franchise, for the city, and for the fans.

Bah!

This was great for the city and for the team. They skipped a step. I had a ball bust blast with this run. I feel better than when you couldn't gain a GD yard in OT and we gave the ball back to Elwasy to do us.
jb

Unread postby jb » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:12 pm

HermanFontenot wrote:

The way the series itself has played out hasn't been the worst part of the experience, although I'd dearly love to get just one game out of it.

The spiteful, vicious, and downright hateful way we've been treated by the national media, however, has been almost unbearable, at least for me.

Herm, u lived thru the comedians and TV shows of the 70's & 80's when we were the national butt of every joke and THIS bothers you?

Dude, have a beer. Its gonna be OK.
jb

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:15 am

JB wrote:
HermanFontenot wrote:

Herm, u lived thru the comedians and TV shows of the 70's & 80's when we were the national butt of every joke and THIS bothers you?

Dude, have a beer. Its gonna be OK.

JB, you're right.

I love my teams and my town with ferocity and more passion than wisdom.

Maybe I'll have a better perspective when I'm your age. 8) :cool: 8-)
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Unread postby jfiling » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:38 am

JB wrote:
HermanFontenot wrote:Don't get greedy. It'd be a miracle if we win one game.

Bah!

This was great for the city and for the team. They skipped a step. I had a ball bust blast with this run. I feel better than when you couldn't gain a GD yard in OT and we gave the ball back to Elwasy to do us.

A-ha! It wasn't me messing with Jobu, but it was you not caring if they won this game or not! I win!
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA