Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Game 2's finish. Comeback?

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Game 2's finish. Comeback?

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:10 pm

Curious as to how the rest of you view last night's finish to the game. Cutting the embarrassing 23+ point deficit to something like 7 with a few minutes left.

I for one don't view it as a comeback first of all, b/c we didn't come back.

Secondly, I look at it as more of the Spurs falling prey to human nature more than the Cavaliers overcoming the Spurs efforts and exceptional play. No matter how great the team it is very difficult to not let up for a good half of a quarter etc....

If this is what our guys need to build on then fine OK, b/c as a fan I am pulling for them. But as a realist I am concerned at the same time b/c the time for looking for things to build on is long gone. This is June, the NBA Finals, looking for things to build on should have taken place through the first 70 some games of the regular season.

I for one find it rather lame to take much pride in the fact we attempted to come back and lost by 9-11 points when in fact real basketball/sports fans know we lost by 25-30.

My heart still feels we can make something of this series if we get the MUST win in game 3 (if we play well in the process of winning) but the optimism and spin of the finish of game 2 disturbs me.

It's as if we are being sold on a moral victory.
Last edited by FUDU on Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Guest » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:12 pm

I agree with the fact we didn't win so there is no comeback. They were killing us and lost focus and regrouped when they needed to.

I think the series probably doesn't go back to San Antonio and we might not win one game.

Unread postby swerb » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:17 pm

That's just the NBA, and human nature on the Spurs part.

Almost every single NBA game where a team runs out to close to a 30 point lead in the 1st half, the team behind always makes a very large 2H run similar to what the Cavs have done in each of the 1st two games.

Some people have told me today they feel it helps the Cavs confidence going into game three a la the Cavs 4Q run last year in game two vs Detroit ... which they followed by reeling off three straight wins.

I disagree. If anything, it woke the Spurs up a little bit. That run, coupled with the fact the Cavs are 7-1 at home in the playoffs, and how well the Spurs are coached ... means to me we are sure to see a very sharp San Antonio team tomorrow night.
Last edited by swerb on Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:19 pm

Rich that is not the response I wanted to hear.

I was hoping more for a "Don, you're nuts, it was good thing" type response to get me off the ledge.

I'm dyin here.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:23 pm

I don't think it matters one way or another. I do, however, think it illustrates the resiliency this team has displayed all season (if not a total lack of effort/energy throughout the first half). But, just when you think these guys are down and out, they shock the shit out of you. Here's to hoping they can bounce back from two butt-kickin's and give the Spurs all the want in C-Town. Until the Spurs take on in Cleveland, which admittedly could be Thursday evening, the Cavs are still alive.
"At least the Scots didn't have to tune in with the rest of the country and watch their women get plowed by Longshanks and his men."
~Commodore Perry on the difference between baseball's flawed economics : Indians :: prima nocta : Scots
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Favorite Player: Brother Red
Least Favorite Player: IHS

Unread postby StewieG » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:04 pm

I do think it's a positive thing for this team. Even if the run was the result of the Spurs losing focus, it at least shows the Cavs that they are capable of making a run. And sometimes confidence is all you need to get those shots to fall.

For the record, after watching those first two games, I don't think we have a chance in this series. They're just far and away better. But I DO think we can at least get it back to San Antonio. I didn't think we had a chance against Detroit after the first two games last year, either, and we ended up a rebound away from taking the series. But then I realize that last year's Detroit team isn't anywhere near as polished as this year's San Antonio team. I still say Spurs in 6. I say we win games 3 and 5. But we should at least make a game of it at home and not embarrass ourselves.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby consigliere » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:14 am

Swerb wrote:Some people have told me today they feel it helps the Cavs confidence going into game three a la the Cavs 4Q run last year in game two vs Detroit ... which they followed by reeling off three straight wins.

I disagree. If anything, it woke the Spurs up a little bit. That run, coupled with the fact the Cavs are 7-1 at home in the playoffs, and how well the Spurs are coached ... means to me we are sure to see a very sharp San Antonio team tomorrow night.

First off, I'm not sure I can put much into that comeback by the Cavs when the Spurs had emptied their bench and we came back on their 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th and 12th guys.

ANyway, Rich, I agree.

Steven A SMith was on ESPN today, and while I usually turn off to anything he says, I think he was spot on. He said that the Cavs comeback "woke the Spurs up" which is not what the Cavaliers wanted. He felt the Cavaliers needed to get that wakeup call in Game 3 at home AND WIN the game before the Spurs could regroup. If indeed that comeback in the 4th did wakeup the Spurs into taking the Cavs lightly, we are in trouble (not that we are not already).
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:11 am

It's your typical garbage-time run, like Swerb says. It didn't affect the outcome- didn't even really put it in serious doubt- and I doubt it carries over into Game 3 one way or another.

As for it waking the Spurs up... they looked plenty awake to me beforehand anyway.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby jb » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:15 am

Swerb wrote:That's just the NBA, and human nature on the Spurs part.

Almost every single NBA game where a team runs out to close to a 30 point lead in the 1st half, the team behind always makes a very large 2H run similar to what the Cavs have done in each of the 1st two games.

Some people have told me today they feel it helps the Cavs confidence going into game three a la the Cavs 4Q run last year in game two vs Detroit ... which they followed by reeling off three straight wins.

Shore u right, butt here's my $ 0.02.

The only chance we have is a major rotational shake up similar to the bunch that made the run.

Rotation:

Boobie
Jones/Snow rotate
LeBron
Gooden
Side Show Bob

Z, Sasha and Hughes all grab pine except to give breathers, along with old man marshall. They get no meaningful minutes. You play the snot out of that starting group knowing all you have is a puncher's chance. Run the O thru Boobie and get Bron off the screens QUICKLY. You got DJ and Boobie cherry picking the kicks if they collapse and Gooden with the mid range pop. Side Show picks and boards.

Rotate Snow & Boobie on Mr Longoria.

Pray that lightening strikes twice ina a row and you can be the 07 version of the 06 Heat.

IMO it isn't abot us on D it is about us on O. SA will execute and score their share. We have to change it up to score with them. Playing SA in a half-court game is certain defeat.

That's our lotto ducat fellas. R-u-n.

Browns will never do it.

I hope the Q goes nuts anyway for the lift and the fans come like it is 0 - 0 . I expect us to win one on emotion alone.

GO CAVS!
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby furls » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:46 pm

You don't lose an NBA series on the road, you lose it at home. Nothing at all has been determined by the first two games. Homecourt is such a huge advantage that you should not be disappointed by the Cavs dropping the first two, although I cannot argue with concerns based on how poorly the Cavs played in those two losses.

The Cavs are right where I figured they would be, down 2-0, although I am surprised by how badly they played to get there. I think we all knew from the beginning that if the Cavs were going to win this they needed to win all three at home, and that is right where they are right now.

Now if losing games by 20+ points (which is basically what the first two games' margins really were) counted for two losses, then the Cavs would be as done as everyone seems to think. Personally, I think the Cavs bench plays a lot better and LBJ gets better support from his supporting cast in game 3.

You guys can give up hope if you like, but I will wait until the Cavs drop one at home, then I will throw in the towel.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA