Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

The case for Snow on Parker

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

The case for Snow on Parker

Unread postby jb » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:06 am

From Pluto today:
http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/sports/columnists/terry_pluto/17348100.htm

I talked to a current NBA coach who has been on the staff of several teams that have gone deep into the playoffs. I asked him to pretend he was Mike Brown, and what should the Cavs coach do in Game 2 of the NBA Finals?

``Boy, that's tough,'' he said. ``I've coached against them a lot and never had much luck. They are really, really good. Especially in a setting like this.''

Since the San Antonio Spurs are going for their fourth title in nine years, we probably know that. But the coach did have some ideas:

• Why were the Cavs chasing Tony Parker 30 feet from the basket on those high pick-and-roll plays? This was a surprise, as Brown knows Parker's game very well -- they were together in San Antonio: ``Parker will kill them if they keep doing that,'' the coach said. ``Back off. Play behind the pick. Dare him to shoot that jump shot. If he makes it, fine. He'll miss some. But going to the rim -- he finishes as well as any little guard I've ever seen.''

• If Parker does get into the lane, go after him: ``Don't think he's going to pass. He'll probably shoot, he's going for a layup. If he does pass off -- fine. You'd rather have someone take a jumper -- and the Spurs do have good shooters -- than Parker turning the game into a layup drill.''

• If Larry Hughes is hurt, don't play him: ``Larry is not a great outside shooter or decision maker,'' the coach said. ``His best attribute is his athleticism. But if he has a bad foot, that's gone. Play the (Daniel) Gibson kid more. At least you have to guard him. I've coached Damon Jones, and I like him in these games because he won't panic and he can make an outside shot. Eric Snow is fearless and he'll go after Parker. I'd play any of those guys -- combine them -- rather than just ride Hughes right now.''

Man, I know Mr Longoria should blow by Snow quickness-wise, but if the way to beat this guy is to stay in front of him and fight through the picks, Eric is your guy.

Roker continuing to play Hughes meaningful minuits on Parker is the kind of stupid stubborness that is the hobgoblin of coaches with second-rate minds. C'mon Roker, don't do it. Show me you are NOT that. Start Hughes to let him keep face for long term team harmony and respect his willingness to take the needle if you must, but put him on Gnobli where his long arms and instincts to pick off the pass can help. Then after the 2nd play stoppage, sit him down and bring in Daniel, and rotate Snow & Gibson on Parker.

Do not waste Bron as a shut-down D player!

You need him too much.

And the big men can not get out of position picking up the pieces on Parker.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:31 am

I've actually been thinking that Snow can guard Parker.

Snow and Jones saw the most time in the first game against the Spurs during the regular season. Parker and Duncan scored over 20, Ginobili got 14. No one else crossed 10. Parker had to shoot more jump shots though. He shot 50%, assisted by the layups he got. He will get some no matter what you do, the key is limiting him.

Snow and Jones got the bulk of the minutes in the second regular season game against the Spurs. Parker still got his points, but I seem to recall tha he was better contained. He's gonna score, but it's the way he scores that matters.

I'd actually start Snow, use Gibson a lot, and consider putting Larry in when Parker is on the bench. I'd rather use Gibson over Jones and think that that'd be an improvement. The major problem is Pavlovic at SG. Hughes scored 18 in both games. I'm not sure Sasha is up to the task. Gibson and Pavlovic would together have to give us some offense.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby jb » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:51 am

Mr. MacPhisto wrote:I've actually been thinking that Snow can guard Parker.

Snow and Jones saw the most time in the first game against the Spurs during the regular season. Parker and Duncan scored over 20, Ginobili got 14. No one else crossed 10. Parker had to shoot more jump shots though. He shot 50%, assisted by the layups he got. He will get some no matter what you do, the key is limiting him.

Snow and Jones got the bulk of the minutes in the second regular season game against the Spurs. Parker still got his points, but I seem to recall tha he was better contained. He's gonna score, but it's the way he scores that matters.

I'd actually start Snow, use Gibson a lot, and consider putting Larry in when Parker is on the bench. I'd rather use Gibson over Jones and think that that'd be an improvement. The major problem is Pavlovic at SG. Hughes scored 18 in both games. I'm not sure Sasha is up to the task. Gibson and Pavlovic would together have to give us some offense.

Then decrease Sasha's minutes and play Hughes there, no?

I agree. Sasha has ben stinkin' this series and at the end of Detroit. IT seems like playoff ball is in hism head and he's doing too much.

Go:

Snow
Hughes
Bron
Gooden
Z

with rotations

Boobie
Andy
Sasha

Also, do NOT let Gooden try to defend Duncan. Less Marshall as well.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA