Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Dr. Jack's Prescription For Ailing Cavs

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Dr. Jack's Prescription For Ailing Cavs

Unread postby consigliere » Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:30 am

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime ... ime-070610

The Cavs' offense was dormant in Game 1. How many times did we see LeBron James holding the ball at the top of the key while the rest of the team stopped to watch?

Clearly the Cavs need to mix things up on the offensive end, and we have six recommendations from ESPN.com's Hall of Fame coach, Dr. Jack Ramsay:

• Advance the ball to the frontcourt as quickly as possible, especially on missed shots that LeBron rebounds. Try to create transition-scoring opportunities with penetrations and kicks to open shooters or finishing at the hoop.

• Take LeBron off the ball and attempt to get him the ball on the move in high-percentage (15-17 feet from the hoop) catch-and-shoot or catch-and-drive situations. This will prevent the Spurs from sending a second defender at him.

• Swing the ball. The Cavs need better ball movement with enough reversals to keep the Spurs from loading the defense to the strong side of the basket.

• Look to score inside with post-ups through Gooden, Verejao and Ilgauskas.

• Limit screen-and-roll offense involving LeBron. It only serves to bring a second defender at him instead of giving him a one-on-one opportunity.

• Offensive rebounding: Cavs need to capitalize on this strength much better than in Game 1.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby jb » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:01 am

Good God, T, I thought you were talking about Kavourkian when I first read the title!

If game 2 is like game 1, then it is time for that, but not yet.

I can' believe Ramsey is still alive. He looked like Abe Vagoda in 1977 wearing those funking threads on the Blazers' sidelines.
Last edited by jb on Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Dr. Jack's Prescription For Ailing Cavs

Unread postby jb » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:10 am

Here's what jumps out at me, T:

Consigliere wrote:http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dailydime-070610

The Cavs' offense was dormant in Game 1. How many times did we see LeBron James holding the ball at the top of the key while the rest of the team stopped to watch?

Clearly the Cavs need to mix things up on the offensive end, and we have six recommendations from ESPN.com's Hall of Fame coach, Dr. Jack Ramsay:

• Take LeBron off the ball and attempt to get him the ball on the move in high-percentage (15-17 feet from the hoop) catch-and-shoot or catch-and-drive situations. This will prevent the Spurs from sending a second defender at him.

Offensive rebounding: Cavs need to capitalize on this strength much better than in Game 1.

Bron needs to just take the 17 footers, esp coming off stops where the pressure to respond isn't as acute. It is the best look he's going to get on O in the sceme they are throwing at him.

He makes those, SA must change sceme and we have a fighting chance to get others ionvolved and for Bron to drive and finish or drive and dish. If not, we lose. Period. Nothing else is available.

The Cavs' offensive rebounding was a joke. I place the onus on Gooden, who had one of those games where he looked like a "non-ringer".
jb

Unread postby consigliere » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:34 am

JB wrote:Good God, T, I thought you were talking about Kavourkian when I first read the title!

If game 2 is like game 1, then it is time for that, but not yet.

You know, didn't even realize that when I posted it. :lol:
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:58 pm

This is what got my attention.

How many times did we see LeBron James holding the ball at the top of the key while the rest of the team stopped to watch?

I actually know the answer to this question. IMO this is what triggers every other negative progression of our O in game 1.

Advance the ball to the frontcourt as quickly as possible, especially on missed shots that LeBron rebounds. Try to create transition-scoring opportunities with penetrations and kicks to open shooters or finishing at the hoop.

This is also a great point, and one that was brought up by one of the announcers in the Pistons series. We, as a team, know our offense takes time to get rolling and often needs entire shot clocks to get it done so why not help ourselves out and get to our side of the court by pushing it just a bit. Could add 3-4 seconds per possession.

Swing the ball. The Cavs need better ball movement with enough reversals to keep the Spurs from loading the defense to the strong side of the basket.

I would like to see some instantaneous swing passes, just for the sake of swinging. Few things catch defense off guard more than good, well timed swing passes. I prefer we keep our feet on the ground while doing so though.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby leadpipe » Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:43 pm

Just my opinion, but I don't think anything Lebron does is going to shake San Antonio out of a defensive comfort zone more than the periphral players hitting open shots that we all know they are going to get. This team (SA) is at a bit of a different level. I can't see the Cavs beating them unless they hit the wide open shots.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby jb » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:55 pm

Bring on Kavourkian!
jb

Unread postby ArtGold » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:52 am

One of the greatest coaches in the history of basketball. I went to St Joe's in the 1969-1973 timeframe and he used to come back twice a year and have a clinic at the Fieldhouse. Great guy, very approachable and energetic.

I'm glad he is still so engaged at his age, it is an inspiration.
ArtGold

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA