Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Hidden truths of Game 1

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Hidden truths of Game 1

Unread postby consigliere » Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:27 am

Wow, this is great insight.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime ... ime-070610

Sequence 1
The first pair of clips shows Tony Parker and Tim Duncan shredding the Cavs' defense with a pair of side screen-and-rolls.

The on-ball defenders do an adequate job of slowing Tony Parker, but the weak side help is late in arriving and doesn't challenge Duncan's shot at the basket.

In both examples, Drew Gooden is caught napping and the Spurs get an easy bucket. Cleveland must improve in this area going forward.

Sequence 2
Tim Duncan just might be the best post player in the game today -- or ever.

And we were treated to Duncan's full repertoire of offensive moves in Game 1.

In the second batch of clips, watch Duncan pass out of the double team, size up single coverage and score easily, work the two-man screen-and-roll play for an easy bucket, nullify the fronting post defense and display a little misdirection for an elbow jumper.

What a luxury the Spurs have with a versatile and fundamentally sound player like Tim Duncan in the post.

Sequence 3
Tony Parker made some amazing twisting, turning, reaching, falling shots at the basket in Game 1.

In the third sequence, Salmi shows us how Parker is able to score by creating space with body parts and body angles.

Parker uses his shoulders, back, arms, legs and feet to find enough open air to get off his shots.

His body control and vision make it possible for him to make such a high percentage of those acrobatic shots.

Sequence 4
Bruce Bowen gets a lot of credit for being one of the league's top perimeter defenders. But let's face facts -- Bowen has a lot of help.

The final series of clips illustrates the many different ways Bowen's teammates helped him keep LeBron James in check during Game 1.

Let's count the ways:

(1) Duncan helps Bowen on a LeBron post-up.

(2) The Spurs circle LeBron after he knocks Bowen off the ball on a dribble drive.

(3) The Spurs gang up on LeBron and push him farther and farther away from the basket.

(4) In transition, all five Spurs defenders have at least one eye on LeBron, rushing to help Bowen when he needs it.

Sure, Bowen deserves a lot of props for his individual defense, but he's not doing it by himself.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby jb » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:13 am

Here's what I got out of this:

This just in. Duncan is good. He's like a Dave Cowens with much more ability. I knew that.

Parker sliced us up and was the main reason we lost on that end of the court. I knew that.

Gooden played like he was a "non-ringer" or a stoner. I knew that.

The Spurs play excellent team D. I'm pretty sure that I knew that, too.

Not to diss yah for propping this piece, T, but sheesh. I don't need this weatherman to tell me where the tornado touched down.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby consigliere » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:35 am

Yeah, we knew all that. I was just propping it because it lays out specific examples of what the problems were. Sort of explains what we already knew, but in detail and with examples.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA