Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Windhorst as always gets it right

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Windhorst as always gets it right

Unread postby consigliere » Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:38 pm

http://blogs.ohio.com/cavaliers_blog/

First and a long way to go
San Antonio -- So the Spurs are pretty good. Here's the scary part Cavs followers: in the 85-76 loss in Game 1, the Spurs played about average. They played good defense, Tony Parker was the fastest guy on the court, Tim Duncan was dominant, and Manu Ginobili hit a few shots. Then they called it a night. The word you're looking for is: eek.

Let's see...

--I respect Larry Hughes for trying, he's scored the points in my book and all, but there's a 0 percent change of him staying in front of Parker with that bad wheel. He managed OK on Michael Finley and some other players, but, honestly, Parker went through Hughes like the Nazis went through Paris. Bad metaphor? Oh, sorry. So Mike Brown simply must play Daniel Gibson and even Eric Snow (you know, the team's best one-on-one defensive player) more on Parker. Neither of those guys can totally stop him either but they have a better chance. Of course, I expect Mike to get ripped by all the media for saying he's not changing his lineup. He will change the minutes, though, guaranteed.

--Zydrunas Ilgauskas looked like a kid that accidentally jumped into the deep end of the pool. He was thrashing around and accomplishing nothing. Not all of it was his fault, Brown's play calls gave him no chance at the rhythm, but he couldn't even hold onto the ball tonight. He couldn't even rebound, which he always does. The Cavs have to win the rebounding battle win have any chance in the series, tonight they got slaughtered and Ilgauskas was a big reason why. Yes, Brown benched him to go small for long stretches but part of that was he wasn't getting anything done when he was out there.

--We now have enough data on LeBron James to know that he doesn't usually play that well in Game 1s of playoff series. Usually he uses the first quarter to feel things out, but he was searching for three quarters tonight. The Spurs did a great job of cutting off his usual outlet passes, they knew all of his tendencies of where he goes when he's trapped. Also, they did a great job of pressuring the ball, which helped keep the Cavs out of their offense and killed the shot clock. It was like moving up a level on a video game, they made everything harder. Nonetheless, the Cavs were still very much in this game until late in the third despite just about everyone -- save for Gibson and Drew Gooden -- playing below average. In other words, hold your water, the Cavs did some good things on offense in the fourth and moved bodies much better. They'll come back, they always do, we'll see if it's good enough.

--Tim Duncan is so damn good, it's amazing. In these playoffs, getting to see Jason Kidd work for six games was a reminder of why the guy is a Hall of Famer. Now watching Duncan will be great. He is so good at so many facets of the game, it's hard to even describe it. How about from the high post when he fakes a bounce pass to Parker then turns and makes the off-balance jumper from 17 feet. That's not Earl Boykins making that move, it's a 7-footer.

--I really appreciated what the Spurs did in the third quarter. They got up seven once or twice but couldn't extend the lead. They knew this was a chance to bury the Cavs if they could get an extra stop or two. So Ginobili starts pumping up the crowd on defense. Then, when Brown is forced to call a timeout to calm things down, the Spurs bring out David Robinson, George Gervin and Sean Elliott to be recognized. The crowd cheered throughout the timeout and didn't let down. The Spurs do the little things right as well as the big things.

--Even with all the trouble Duncan and Parker, the Cavs gave up just 85 points tonight. They had no inside game, LeBron couldn't make a shot, and they best strength (rebounding) was a weakness. They've still got a chance to make some serious noise and they know it. But it's going to take some good adjustments and some moxie. Let's see what happens.

How refreshing. A Cleveland media person acknowledging that not only did the Cavs not play a very good game, but neither did the Spurs.

Also, he is dead on about Z and Hughes. Z has to play well on both ends of the floor, and someone needs to slow down Parker. Those are the keys to the series. To me, since Hughes is reduced to Ira Newble ability right now, I go with Boobie. Is Boobie going to be any worse a defender than Hughes right now? At least Boobie can fill it up. Hughes vs Boobie is a zero sum move defensively, but offensively it slants most favorably to Boobie (and the Cavs).

I'm in total agreement that "it's going to take some good adjustments and some moxie" and that "they'll come back, they always do, we'll see if it's good enough."
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:21 pm

We now have enough data on LeBron James to know that he doesn't usually play that well in Game 1s of playoff series. Usually he uses the first quarter to feel things out, but he was searching for three quarters tonight. The Spurs did a great job of cutting off his usual outlet passes, they knew all of his tendencies of where he goes when he's trapped.

This is the gist of my frustration and complaint about LBJ in game 1.

He doesn't need to be this way. I appreciate his wanting to be patient and not rush rush rush things or get all out of control and cause the offense to lose focus, but he doesn't have to be so adamant and blatant with his what appears to be habit.

Duncan is a superstar, at least on the court, and he doesn't lolly gag in the first game. He came out and dictated what he wanted to do and basically said " I challenge you to bring it and stop me".

LeBron seems to wait too long to take that approach.

LeBron is too good a shooter to not take open shots when they are just handed to him. If he misses a bunch then I understand him adjusting and trying to go a different route, but he has too many tendencies in similar situations which do not catch anybody off guard.

Another tendency I can do without, possibly forever, is dropping the ball to Z in the post, the right side block if your Z (if the Cavaliers are going right to left on your radio dial) for the first play of the game, every game. We get it Roker, you want to get something established inside and want to get Z off early. Problem it is not a surprise, the Pistons knew it was coming and so do the Spurs. Besides it doesn't work even 30% of the time anymore b/c Z cannot pivot to his left. The only thing he can do going to his left is fall away half assed jumpers, and those end up being 16 footers b/c he cannot get low enough on the block.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby consigliere » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:56 pm

Didn't Lebron put up a triple double in Game One of the Wiz series last year?
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:14 pm

Consigliere wrote:Didn't Lebron put up a triple double in Game One of the Wiz series last year?

He did 32, 11, 11 in game one last year versus the Wiz.

He's not been as strong with the rebounds and assists in some of the game ones, but he's been more effective than he was versus the Pistons and Spurs this year.

Game one against the Pistons last year saw him score 22 while shooting 50% but only posting 4 rebounds and 4 assists. His teammates shooting only 39% probably had something to do with the assists dropping so low.

He nearly posted a double-double against Washington this year. 23 points, 9 rebounds, 7 assists. Granted, Washington was depleted and they're not a great defensive team.

He did post a double-double against the Nets. 21 points, 11 rebounds, 7 assists.

So he's only come out that bad against the Spurs and Pistons this year.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA