Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Lebron banner controversy, see it while you can?

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Lebron banner controversy, see it while you can?

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:49 pm

http://www.wcpo.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=9d37a3f3-9891-4101-bfbc-92a954720f75

Gov. Ted Strickland wants state transportation officials to back off any threat of removing a 10-story banner featuring Cleveland Cavaliers' star LeBron James.

The massive banner -- an ad for shoemaker Nike Inc. -- hangs on the side of a building near Quicken Loans Arena, home of the NBA's Cavaliers, and violates federal highway beautification standards, said Lindsay Komlanc, a spokeswoman for the Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT).

Strickland said the state should make allowances for art.

"I'd say it's an impressive, emotive display, and I would consider it art. So I've asked ODOT to cease any efforts to seek removal of the sign," Strickland said Wednesday, when he made a trip to the city.

The Cavaliers play the San Antonio Spurs in Game 1 of the NBA finals Thursday night.

Komlanc said the banner is too big -- federal rules require it to be under 1,200-square feet.

The state agency must enforce the guidelines or risk losing 10 percent of federal highway funding, which is about $130 million a year for Ohio, she said.

This story bothers me.

I hate when the powers that be try to pull this petty bullshit.

"violates federal highway beautification standards"

Um what highway?

Props for Strickland for voicing his concerns and standing up for the city here.

I can think of 1,000 more important things ODOT should be concerned with, just about Cleveland roads.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:17 pm

Fine example of how the Federal Gov't tries to shove things down the throat of the states by using money. They did the same thing to change the legal drinking age to 21 everywhere - by threatening to take away funding for roads.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby dmiles » Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:53 pm

Mr. MacPhisto wrote:Fine example of how the Federal Gov't tries to shove things down the throat of the states by using money. They did the same thing to change the legal drinking age to 21 everywhere - by threatening to take away funding for roads.

And me having been born Nov. of 68, I missed the grandfathering for beer only (and thus bar entry) by about 4 months. Many of my buds were legal for the next two years.
dmiles

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA