Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Wilbon On Cleveland

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Wilbon On Cleveland

Unread postby swerb » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:25 am

"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby GreatGoo » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:36 pm

Great article. Its nice to know that other people know about our suffering.

Its our time.
"If sport is to have any value at all, the road traveled, even when it leads to a dead end, should always be a trip worth taking. Without the pain, the champagne, when it finally flows, will have no taste."
GreatGoo
Awaiting First Championship

Favorite Player: TBD
Least Favorite Player: Larry Hughes

Unread postby Eric » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:16 pm

I was actually quoted in an article that came out today in the St. Petersburg Times in Florida more or less outlining the same things. :-) :smile: :)

http://www.tampabay.com/2007/06/06/Spor ... d_cr.shtml
Ernie Camacho for President
Eric

Unread postby swerb » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:26 pm

Eric wrote:I was actually quoted in an article that came out today in the St. Petersburg Times in Florida more or less outlining the same things. :-) :smile: :)

http://www.tampabay.com/2007/06/06/Spor ... d_cr.shtml

Nice! Good stuff Eric ...
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Kuiper » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:07 pm

Perhaps I'm getting old, but I think in the ranking of disappointments for Cleveland sports fans that is in Wilbon's article, I don't see how "Red Right 88" isn't on the list. All we needed was a field goal. We were in the red zone with time to spare and Sipe throws an interception on a pass intended for Ozzie because Rutigliano was afraid the swirling winds off the frozen lake would mess with Cockroft's FG attempt. That was a major bummer for a team labeled that Kardiac Kids because of their penchant for last minute victories.
Kuiper

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:31 pm

Not only that, but the Denver teams we lost to lost the Super Bowl (lost? nay, were clubbed like baby seals): Oakland went on to win the Super Bowl against a very beatable Philadelphia, suggesting that we would have had a better shot to go all the way.
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:17 pm

I think the suffering of Cleveland is going to get a lot of play in papers and on TV. ESPN will talk about it. They'll talk about it during the Finals on ABC. They'll talk about it on national sports radio.

And people will watch. They'll watch to see LeBron James, but I also think people will have this on their minds too.

San Antonio has been there. They've won rings. They're the favorites. Americans love underdogs and I think they are compassionate.

Outside of Texas, I see most of the country pulling for the Cavs in this one because of LeBron and because of the suffering the city of Cleveland has had to endure over the years. It's a proud city that has been brought to its knees in many respects due to the times and the hardluck the the sports scene has offered.

I hope that that overwhelming support and some good play can get it done. The Cavs winning a title would be the feel good sports story of the year. It'd be even more warm and fuzzy if the Indians managed a WS title the same year. I'm not getting my hopes up, but it's not yet out of the realm of possibility. How many Clevelander and ex-Clevelanders would just spontaneously orgasm if that happned?
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA