Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

We'll know the NBA is back when...

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

We'll know the NBA is back when...

Unread postby HoodooMan » Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:59 pm

...its Finals schedule doesn't look like this:

Game 1: THU, 9PM EST
Game 2: SUN, 9PM EST
Game 3: TUE, 9PM EST
Game 4: THU, 9PM EST
Game 5: SUN, 9PM EST
Game 6: TUE, 9PM EST
Game 7: THU, 9PM EST

Not a single FRI or SAT night game? Not even a SUN afternoon game? And 9PM starts? Monday Night Football had a tough time keeping viewers with 9PM starts, and that's the freaking NFL.

This is all you need to look at to know how full of shit David Stern is when he claims the NBA's popularity is at an all-time high. Weekend afternoon double & triple headers on NBC used to be the shit. Marv & Fratello doing the Eastern Conference game (seemingly always in NY or CHI), Enberg & Steve Snapper Jones doing the Western Conference game (seemingly always in Portland or, well, Portland), the cool NBC intro song, start times that said, "Fuck you, West Coast." It was all great.
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:14 pm

Agreed.

I really don't get starting the games in Cleveland at 9.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby furls » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:54 pm

West Coast compromise. Inconvenience everyone a little.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:02 pm

Furls wrote:West Coast compromise. Inconvenience everyone a little.

Makes perfect sense when neither team in on the west coast. San Antonio is on Central Time. Start the games at 7:30PM in Cleveland and 7:00PM in San Antonio so the game starts at 8:00PM in the East.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby mswerb » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:07 pm

Ratings and money
mswerb
Carolina Junkie

Favorite Player: MJ
Least Favorite Player: Anyone from DOOK

Unread postby jb » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:05 am

Furls wrote:West Coast compromise. Inconvenience everyone a little.

If by "a little", you mean it makes it impossible for anyone under 14 / 15 years old to be an avid NBA fan, then yeah. I agree.

Just like MLB.

And they wonder why suburban kid is more and more into soccer & x treme sports...
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: We'll know the NBA is back when...

Unread postby jb » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:06 am

HoodooMan wrote:...its Finals schedule doesn't look like this:

Game 1: THU, 9PM EST
Game 2: SUN, 9PM EST
Game 3: TUE, 9PM EST
Game 4: THU, 9PM EST
Game 5: SUN, 9PM EST
Game 6: TUE, 9PM EST
Game 7: THU, 9PM EST

Not a single FRI or SAT night game? Not even a SUN afternoon game? And 9PM starts? Monday Night Football had a tough time keeping viewers with 9PM starts, and that's the freaking NFL.

This is all you need to look at to know how full of shit David Stern is when he claims the NBA's popularity is at an all-time high. Weekend afternoon double & triple headers on NBC used to be the shit. Marv & Fratello doing the Eastern Conference game (seemingly always in NY or CHI), Enberg & Steve Snapper Jones doing the Western Conference game (seemingly always in Portland or, well, Portland), the cool NBC intro song, start times that said, "Fuck you, West Coast." It was all great.

Is that tip off, or the strat of 30 - 45 minutes of Pussberger bullshit hype and tip off is at 9:30?

And I thought Boston vs Phoenex ended late in double OT as a pup.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby furls » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:20 pm

Makes perfect sense when neither team in on the west coast. San Antonio is on Central Time. Start the games at 7:30PM in Cleveland and 7:00PM in San Antonio so the game starts at 8:00PM in the East.

Actually it does make perfect sense given where the teams play.

They know that ratings in Cleveland and SA are going to be strong, they are trying to push the games to a reasonable time on the west coast without making them insane on the East coast. This is the exact reason MNF has been at 9pm. If you move it any earlier WC ratings will lag.

NBA needs national growth, and it needs to showcase its biggest stage on both coasts. If you put the games at 7:30 in Cleveland than that puts them at 4:30 on the west coast. That would be, ummmm... not good.

NBA's rationale is sound if you step outside of your own personal inconveniences.

If by "a little", you mean it makes it impossible for anyone under 14 / 15 years old to be an avid NBA fan, then yeah. I agree.

Just like MLB.

And they wonder why suburban kid is more and more into soccer & x treme sports...

14/15 year old kids don't drive advertising dollars (10.00 a week in allowance does not make advertisers drool).
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby dmiles » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:50 pm

I am glad I am on the West Coast for my kids sake. Bummed that I wasn't at the celebration but still, Momma would be fighting the 11:30 bedtimes.
dmiles

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:38 pm

14/15 year old kids don't drive advertising dollars (10.00 a week in allowance does not make advertisers drool).

You're kidding, right? Tween/teenage kids have more disposable income than ever before and are prime targets of advertisers.
"At least the Scots didn't have to tune in with the rest of the country and watch their women get plowed by Longshanks and his men."
~Commodore Perry on the difference between baseball's flawed economics : Indians :: prima nocta : Scots
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Favorite Player: Brother Red
Least Favorite Player: IHS

Unread postby Detroit Wahoo » Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:22 pm

Working at a bar with Tuesday and Thursdays off, this schedule looks great to me. Throw in the fact that Sunday is my only day shift and it is perfect. Obviously with my hours the starting time isn't going to bother me but when I grow up and get a real job this kind of schedule is gonna suck.

GO CAVS!
Detroit Wahoo
Detroit Wahoo

Unread postby leadpipe » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:49 pm

These are the times that will generate the most money. That's how the world works. If they gave a shit a son could stay up with his father and watch a World Series games till' 11. Now it's 1:00 am. Don't think for one minute they are thinking of the fans over cash. You aren't even a thought.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA