Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Papa Cass nails every point

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Papa Cass nails every point

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:23 pm

Great article presently on the front page from Cassano. Fantastic summation of the history of Cavaliers baseketball. I was getting weepy thinking of all the memories I've had during my 20+ years of actively following the Cavs.

I was mocked mercilessly by friends during my time in high school and middle school because of my allegiance to the Cavs. Early on it wasn't so bad, in the prime of Daugherty, Price, Williams, Nance, Ehlo, etc. Still, everyone around me was jumping on the Bulls bandwagon. People from cities that had NBA teams were bandwagon jumping too, but poor little me stuck to my guns.

I stuck with 'em through the Fratello years and was one who found some pleasure in those slow, grinding games. But I knew those teams would never go anywhere.

I was one who was THRILLED when we landed Sean Kemp. It was a moment too good to be true. NBA Championships danced in my head like sugarplums at Christmas time, but nothing ever came of it.

Then the NBA Lottery. I was in my car listening to ESPN Radio when it happened and I was nervous. I thought for sure that something would go wrong because I knew how things worked for the Cleveland sports fan. Just like the recent fortuitous event in the NFL Draft for the Browns, it went right for the Cavs and I had to focus just to control my car.

My expectations for LeBron were tempered. I thought he'd be awesome in a few years but that he'd struggle as a rookie.

LeBron has managed to greatly exceed what I expected of him by this time in his career. In a society where hype so often proves to be untrue, the hype around King James probably wasn't near enough.

Can it get any more perfect than a kid from Akron lifting all of NE Ohio up upon his shoulders? I still find it unbelievable how amazing and mature he is at 22 because I was 22 not all that long ago and I still had a lot of growing up to do.

All those sour memories make this all the more sweeter. One of the biggest advantages I think the Cavs have is how hungry the fans are. I think it rubs off on the players. San Antonio is a great team, but their fans are used to this. We aren't and we certainly thirst more than they do.

I hope the Cavs can shock all the NBA analysts and most of the basketball watching world and end the drought for a city that deserves much more than it's gotten over the years.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby swerb » Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:26 pm

Yeah, that was a great column.

My entire life as a Cavs fan flashed before my eyes.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby jb » Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:26 pm

Count me in as a fan of the piece nad raising a toast.

Maybe twice. Cotton Clubs' that is.

As in "two for the Brew".
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA