Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Derick Fisher

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Derick Fisher

Unread postby mswerb » Wed May 30, 2007 11:02 pm

This guy's daughter undergoes chemo for eye cancer, and yet shows up for the 2nd half. Is this dude that committed to his team, or are his priorities messed up? If it were me in that position, no way would I be able to show up for work.
mswerb
Carolina Junkie

Favorite Player: MJ
Least Favorite Player: Anyone from DOOK

Re: Derick Fisher

Unread postby jb » Thu May 31, 2007 8:46 am

mswerb wrote:This guy's daughter undergoes chemo for eye cancer, and yet shows up for the 2nd half. Is this dude that committed to his team, or are his priorities messed up? If it were me in that position, no way would I be able to show up for work.

You go to work.

Sure, you miss practice. After all, we're just talking abou practice. Not a game. Not the game he gives his life to. Practice. I mean, it's just practice.

But come playoff time, unless someone is going to die in the few hours you board chartered flight, play, and take chartered flight back, you go to work.

If you've ever been in a situation w/ someone sick or something like that, esp when there is a support system beyond yourself as one individual, being there 24 / 7 is a complete waste of standing & sitting around.

It is not "just a game" when it is a multi billion dollar industry. CYO is a game. The NBA is work.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby He Gone » Thu May 31, 2007 6:38 pm

The thing is, if it was a indiviuals sport, like tennis or something, I dont think he would have been there.

But this is basketball, and basketball is a team sport. This means that him not being there wouldnt only let down himself, but let down all of his teammates.

I think it was the right decision.
He Gone
O-H-I-O

Unread postby FUDU » Thu May 31, 2007 6:45 pm

I have a different, maybe messed up view on these things.

For a death of a friend or family member, I say yeah you go to work in this situation. Cept for a real messed up thing like Z.

For a situation like Fish's I say you be with your daughter, no questions asked. It is a life and death scenario and it could be the last time you ever see your child, you skip the game.

Birth of a child I leave to the athlete, I call it a 50/50.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA