Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Offseason

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Offseason

Unread postby scott » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:26 pm

Pursue trading both. End up trading KI because the league values him more.
scott

Favorite Player: Sabby Piscitelli
Least Favorite Player: Everyone Else

Re: Offseason

Unread postby jerryroche » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:38 am

Gilbert's gotta nail down Griffin or get a new GM before making any more moves. Otherwise, you've got a revolving door on roster spots -- same problem the Browns have had for the past five or six years.

On the Dion-Kyrie front, I'm not so sure either of them wants to play in Cleveburg. Beyond those two, I don't see any players on the current roster who might start for a three- or four-seed. Delly, Hawes and TT might have some value off the bench. I'd also like to see if Bennett and and Zeller can further develop their games. But nobody's an "untouchable" this off-season. Nobody.
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Ol' No.32
Least Favorite Player: Black & gold

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:27 pm

Various reports out there that Phil Jackson values Griffin and may want him in NY. So looks like Gilbert's revolving door will keep spinning. Which doesn't make players or coaches very comfortable.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Doc » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:34 am

I'm not sure what the hell to do with this team. I know TMLP has money, but I don't see how he fires (or lets the new GM fire) Brown. Even though its probably the correct move, I think MB is back next year.

But, I just can't shake the relative selfishness Kyrie has taken on this year. I'm not actively pursuing it, but I'm looking. He's our *best* player, but he's never going to defend how MB wants. And he's redundant with Waiters. So, either we go all in for Love or another star to pair with Kyrie, or we have to consider using him to get Parker or Wiggins or Embiid.

I don't resign Deng. Low % volume shooter, decent defense, getting old. Not worth $30 mil over 3 years. I do like Hawes though. If David Griffin stays, I think Hawes stays. Better use of the money than Deng. Miles gone, Gee gone. Probably keep Anderson since we won't go for Deng.

Let's hope the Lakers get a top pick...I'd think Kyrie for pick is most likely to happen to LA,, just because of Kobe. I'm not advocating it, but I think this offseason we will see some real shake-up. As constructed isn't really working
Doc

Favorite Player: Matthew Dellavedova
Least Favorite Player: Chris Bosh

Unread postby jerryroche » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:44 pm

Is it stooopid to think that maybe it's time for a house-cleaning and a do-over?

Too much give-up in ever'-damn-body on the current roster. Can't believe how they tanked the last two games against two pretty worthless teams, after falling out of the playoff "race."

Don't know if I want any of those slugs on my team, if I hold any hope of winning in the near future.

Hate the thought of a house-cleaning. Absolutely hate it. But to be the least bit successful, you've got to have a few warm bodies on the roster with some want-to.

Maybe these guys have been losing so long that it's now programmed into their DNA. Then again, maybe I'm over-reacting, and Roker will be able to work some magic next season.

Ha!
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Ol' No.32
Least Favorite Player: Black & gold

Unread postby Nicastro13 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:27 am

Nicastro13

Favorite Player: Kyrie
Least Favorite Player: Joe Pittsburgh Fan

Unread postby StewieG » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:00 pm

Gilbert isn't upset with having Deng on the team (by all accounts, the Cavs will attempt to re-sign Deng),

Ugh. I liked the trade at first, because I thought Deng would fit in well with this roster, but clearly I was wrong.

He's a sunk cost. Don't compound the mistake by offering him a max (or near-max) contract and saddling the team with an albatross for the next 4 years. He already turned down $10M/yr from Chicago. He's gonna want a lot more than that to stay here.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby Spin » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:25 am

A lot of people are still starstruck on KI, hoping he's LeBJ's replacement.

He's one of the better PG's in the NBA, when he wants to be. But I don't think he's a top 10 player. I think we trade him while his value is still high. If he hangs around here longer, his attitude is only going to get worse.

Being on a team like this, it's not uncommon for players to go this route. If you're going to change the losing culture, you have to get rid of the players who have flipped on you, and are in it only for themselves. You're not going to build around him.

And whoever the new GM is, has GOT TO hit on this draft. No more TT's, we can't afford it. Looking at the talent level in this draft, good luck with that. Another casualty of the NBA's one and done.
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby Prosecutor » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:45 am

Nicastro13 wrote:http://msn.foxsports.com/ohio/story/cavs-report-changes-coming-but-not-yet-clear-where-041514

Good stuff by Amico. But there seems to be a contradiction in his statements that the Cavs "will go out of their way to make a major trade this summer", and his statement that it is a "priority" to establish Kyrie and Waiters as the starting backcourt of the future.

How do they make a major trade while keeping both PG's? Would trading TT or Andy be considered a "major trade"?

Deng's production dropped off after coming to Cleveland and he was in and out of the lineup due to injury. I hardly believe that he's going to get a huge offer from anybody. At this point in his career I'm sure he'll take a little less money to go to a winner.

I think it's more likely they sign Hawes. Andy is over 30 and can't be counted on to log 30 minutes a game without getting hurt. Zeller is not a starter on a Championship team.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA