Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Mike Brown

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Mike Brown

Unread postby bookelly » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:21 am

Is not a very good coach. Not about to hit the panic button...but I'm glancing at it.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Re: Mike Brown

Unread postby comish » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:32 am

It's early, but this team is a mess.......unwatchable basketball right now
"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
comish
Champion of Mediocrity

Unread postby bac5665 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:44 am

I'm a casual basketball fan. I like the sport but I don't know nearly all the rules, the fouls, etc.

Is there any point to watching this team? Is there any reason to think that we're going to live up to even being an 8th seed?
bac5665

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Bug Selig

Unread postby pod2dawg » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:29 pm

I've been told to wait 20 games in before passing judgement.

Then we can unload.
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:00 pm

pod2dawg wrote:I've been told to wait 20 games in before passing judgement.

Then we can unload.

20 games is at least fair, but to be honest, it's probably more like 40, seeing as he has done a 180 with this team's objective. There's legit talent on this team, but it won't matter if you can't get it to mesh, and play to it's strengths on offense.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby jerryroche » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:14 pm

Far as I can see, there's not one player on the roster who's playing as well offensively as he did last season -- at least among those guys who were here under Byron Scott.

Loved the stat one of the TV guys cited last week, that the Cavs' offensive efficiency goes way up when they make at least three passes. Trouble is, they seldom do. And the guards, who should be running the offense, are spending too much time dribbling around holding their wangers.
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Ol' No.32
Least Favorite Player: Black & gold

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:51 am

I'm worried Brown will set this team back immeasurably. This is awful basketball. He has even broken Waiters and Irving.
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:12 pm

I'm about to violate my own 20-game rule and say he's broken me. Or the team has anyway. It's awful viewing.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Squints » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:33 pm

That was awful TV viewing last night. Mike Brown will be Dan Gilbert's Billy Martin
Squints

Favorite Player: Howard, Tim
Least Favorite Player: Howard, Desmond

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:59 am

FUDU wrote:

Then we can unload.

20 games is at least fair, but to be honest, it's probably more like 40, seeing as he has done a 180 with this team's objective. There's legit talent on this team, but it won't matter if you can't get it to mesh, and play to it's strengths on offense.

If it takes a coach half a season to implement his offensive "system" maybe you need a new system.

Or a new coach.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby HoodooMan » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:23 pm

Has his ability to coach defense ever been in dispute?

If that's where his focus is right now, and they're still sucking at it, why not point your finger at the players?
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:57 pm

mattvan1 wrote:
FUDU wrote:

Then we can unload.

If it takes a coach half a season to implement his offensive "system" maybe you need a new system.

Or a new coach.

It can take some time for all the players to get on the same page with a system though, and then execute it to a high level with different combos on the floor. That system does need to be a good fit for your talent as well.

FUDU

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:07 pm

HoodooMan wrote:Has his ability to coach defense ever been in dispute?

If that's where his focus is right now, and they're still sucking at it, why not point your finger at the players?

That's why I said either 'he' or 'the team'. I can't tell what it is. But it's nearly unwatchable. I mean, nails on chalkboard awful.

I still think it's system issues and those knuckle heads trying to figure it out. In my opinionit's far less about Brown than the idiots on the roster.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:18 pm

peeker I agree, at least defensively, on offense, again who knows. Brown does have that history with offensive woes, at some point his coaching resume has to suffer b/c of it.

FUDU

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:26 pm

FUDU wrote:peeker I agree, at least defensively, on offense, again who knows. Brown does have that history with offensive woes, at some point his coaching resume has to suffer b/c of it.

Meh... best dancers in the world goona bang into each other and look like you in in aneoghborhood karaoke bar if they can't hear the music or won't listen. Better or worse, Brown has more bona fides than anyone on the roster. At least we know he does SOMETHING really well.

Unless you count Kyrie's ability to get hurt more than anyone on earth, Brown's proven more than his players.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby StewieG » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:20 pm

Getting to the point where they can be considered 'good' at this type of defense (which is extremely heavy on rotations) will take most, if not all, of this year. I'd look at it in 25-30 game chunks. Are they better 30 games in than when they started the year? Are they better over the next 25 games?

It's going to be wildly inconsistent as they figure things out, make their mistakes, and blow their assignments.

The other thing is, I'm not even sure they're running an offense right now. It's almost completely reliant on pick and rolls/pops, and breaking down their man off the dribble and finding someone for 3. And yeah, it's nigh unwatchable.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:27 pm

HoodooMan wrote:Has his ability to coach defense ever been in dispute?

Uh, I thought Donny was talking offense. Sure, the guys a defensive genius. And everyone knows in the the NBA defense wins championships. Woot!

Do you think they could score more if Mike cut the bottoms out of the peach baskets? I mean, it could work, right?
mattvan1

Unread postby jb » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:19 am

Eye tested me and wrote, "Christ Grant is a baboon".

Thought I would pass that along.

Bennett may go down as the worst # 1 overall of all time at this rate.

This team has some bad draft luck but this rebuild is DOA before it left the station.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby jb » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:20 am

peeker643 wrote:
FUDU wrote:peeker I agree, at least defensively, on offense, again who knows. Brown does have that history with offensive woes, at some point his coaching resume has to suffer b/c of it.

Meh... best dancers in the world goona bang into each other and look like you in in aneoghborhood karaoke bar if they can't hear the music or won't listen. .

Not Karina.
jb

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:45 pm

Has Mike Brown actually made better any player he's coached? I think we can all agree Lebron would have become Lebron regardless of who was coaching him.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:57 pm

rebelwithoutaclue wrote:Has Mike Brown actually made better any player he's coached? I think we can all agree Lebron would have become Lebron regardless of who was coaching him.

Not anyone on these boards able to answer that and I'm not sure how you'd quantify it anyway.

That mean Phil didn't make Kobe better or Shaq better?

I'd be willing to bet a lot of guys would tell you Brown made them better. I'd bet LeBron is one of them. Same with Kobe vis a vis Phil.

Whether that's lip service I have no idea. But I'd bet they say it and not sure there's another way to show it.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:49 pm

I'm not a fan of Brown, but here are all possible ways for the Cavs to be in the galaxy of a championship contender in the next 5 years, and we might need both of them.

1. Get lucky in the Top 3 of this year's lottery.
2. Get LeBron back.

I honestly don't care about anything else, it's just noise at this point. Maybe I'm sick of all the spin from Gilbert and the front office about mediocre players and draft reaches, maybe I'm spoiled from the last run, maybe I'm too negative. But I cannot get excited about a trajectory that tops out at a 6 seed in a sport where low playoff seeds have no real chance to win anything of significance. The roster as is without another superstar is never going past a beatdown in the second round, and I'd be shocked if they even reached that. I know they have a business to run and I'm more than happy to still attend my few games this year while they tank. But gearing up for a tepid playoff seed in a weak East during a year with the most loaded draft in a decade still doesn't make sense to me. Hopefully they'll just continue to fail by accident.
"Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do...win the whole, f***in', thing."- Jake Taylor
Kingpin74

Favorite Player: Mario Lemieux
Least Favorite Player: Dwight Howard

Unread postby leadpipe » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:05 am

We can bitch about Mike Brown all we want - but we better shake ourselves....

Kyrie
Gee
Bynum
Thompson
Delladova

this is the current starting line-up. You've got an excellent (not yet great) player who is hurt every 10 minutes. You've got a guy that is CLEARLY Old Yeller at this point. No help. Not gonna help. Good chance he's not in the league in 2 years. A nice role player in Thompson. And two guys you could pick-up at the local Y.

Your bench has Andy - which would be better if one of you only decent players wasn't Thompson. Anyone who thinks Golden State's bench took a hit when Jarret Jack left is bat-shit crazy. And Dion Waiters is just the type of player that's a loser in this league even if he manages to score some points.

Yeah, I suppose if things fall right they are a fringe playoff team. This is with Kyrie healthy all year and him carrying them there - which I'm not sure he can do.

But that's the ceiling here - I don't give a shit who's coaching them.

But who knows, maybe Carrick Felix will step it up.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Orenthal » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:39 pm

Hey they are making progress. You are losing games in the fourth quarter that we were winning going away. Sample size is only last night, but its better than being blown out all game. Maybe?
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:09 pm

peeker643 wrote:
rebelwithoutaclue wrote:Has Mike Brown actually made better any player he's coached? I think we can all agree Lebron would have become Lebron regardless of who was coaching him.

Not anyone on these boards able to answer that and I'm not sure how you'd quantify it anyway.

That mean Phil didn't make Kobe better or Shaq better?

I'd be willing to bet a lot of guys would tell you Brown made them better. I'd bet LeBron is one of them. Same with Kobe vis a vis Phil.

Whether that's lip service I have no idea. But I'd bet they say it and not sure there's another way to show it.

I think the better question is, is Roker doing anything this time around to utilize his players strengths better? There is some talent on this roster, but Mike Brown is struggling to let it show, or he doesn't have a clue how.

FUDU

Unread postby jb » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:20 pm

leadpipe wrote:
But who knows, maybe Carrick Felix will step it up.

I hear he has cat-like quickness.
jb

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:02 pm

Anyone feel better after 21 games than they did after 5? 10? 15?

Even mildly?

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Orenthal » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:21 pm

I felt better when they made the transition from getting blown out 4 quarters to just losing in the 4th. Was at the Chicago game where Bynum seemed to come to life. Mild optimism is a shitty Eastern Conference.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby scrambler » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:43 pm

peeker643 wrote:Anyone feel better after 21 games than they did after 5? 10? 15?

Even mildly?

I don't know how anyone can't. As Dimitri said, they won their 8th game in their 34th game last year and this year did it in their 21st game. That's a huge improvement. The D isn't always good, but Brown has improved it significantly. And the improvement has come with Irving in all honesty playing terribly, with his shooting way, way down from his first two years. He had a great shooting game against NY so perhaps his season long shooting slump is fading away now. It is what it is with this team. Thus far Anthony Bennett being a complete non-entity is the only really upsetting thing about this year that I can see to this point.
scrambler

Favorite Player: Charlie Spikes
Least Favorite Player: Oelkers/Yett

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:49 pm

21 games

One more than 20 games.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:00 pm

motherscratcher wrote:21 games

One more than 20 games.

Shoulda really been asked at halftime of that 21st game. That would have been the true 1/4 mark of the season.

My fault.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:35 am

It would be just like the Cavs to get the #1 pick in the weakest draft in 2 decades and then somehow win enough games to price themselves out of a top 6 pick in the most loaded draft in 2 decades.

Lose. Every. Game.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby scrambler » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:25 pm

OH my goodness...a road win now. 5 out of 6. What is going on here!?!? Even Bennett explodes for 6 points tonight.
scrambler

Favorite Player: Charlie Spikes
Least Favorite Player: Oelkers/Yett

Unread postby mattvan1 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:59 pm

:nanner:
scrambler wrote:OH my goodness...a road win now. 5 out of 6. What is going on here!?!? Even Bennett explodes for 6 points tonight.

This shit has got to stop. Cavs losing ground.

http://www.tankingforwiggins.com
mattvan1

Unread postby Spin » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:09 pm

Or a new coach.

There's network commentators saying it often takes a year to implement a new system on an NBA team.

If that's the casze, you guys who like to tank seasons to get draft picks might get your wish again.
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:35 pm

Last night's game against Dtroit was lame, all on Brown and Bynum. Brown not recognzing Bynum was too slow to keep up with Dtroit's activity killed us. It was also the team Xmas party, so I'm sure that young group of guys was focused on playing basketball at 7pm yesterday.

FUDU

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:00 am

^Bynum was not the only problem. Sure he missed a handful of bunnies but most of that lineup was 0-fer the first half. They were out hustled left and right. Shooting under 30% for a half is not going to keep you in many games. Neither is Josh Smith burying 3's
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby mattvan1 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:56 pm

forty one games in
halfway to irrelevance
more magic from Nick?

mattvan1

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:15 am

^^^^ In my opinion no.

I am seeing improvement from this team since the acquisition of Deng. I think we finish with 35+ wins and a first round playoff exit. No draft lottery this year IMO. Timing bites us in the ass again. Best draft in many years and it's the first one where we proably won't have a top 4 pick.

Gee Miss Crabtree, you're even pretier 'n Miss McGuilacutty...
YahooFanChicago

Favorite Player: Miss Crabtree
Least Favorite Player: Chubsy Wubsy

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA